Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Just seen: a few movies (DVD R3)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Reiner, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not much to say re the DVDs itself so I put it here instead of the DVD forum. Seen a couple of rental movies recently and I will add more when I am in the mood for it:

Point Men
    -------------
    Starring Christopher Lambert as a foreign employee of the Israeli government who assassinates so-called terrorists.
    Had a bit of a B-movie feel (perhaps because it was one) but it was set in Europe so had a non-American flair to it. Ok, cars still explode on impact but the story was a kind of entertaining. Not to bad if you are bored and are feed up with all the typical action movies.

* * * 1/2 out of 5

Dragonfly
    ------------
    Starring Kevin Costner. Though his performance is nothing to praise (IMHO of course) the movie is quite gripping.
    The supernatural subject makes it a bit scary, but without any gore. Neither the lead actor nor the viewer knows what's going on and though you may think you can predict the ending it will not end as you expect. IMHO well worth seeing.

* * * * out of 5

Stir of Echos
    ---------------
    Starring Kevin Bacon and the 2nd supernatural film in my recent viewing sessions. Reminded me a bit of The 6th Sense as the story is a bit similar. Well, kind of.
    Anyway, I also liked the idea of no gore but rather the subtle scares by not knowing what's going to happen.
    Not much surprises at the end but it wasn't really dissappinting either.

* * * 1/2 out of 5

K-Pax
    -------
    Starring Kevin Spacey as a man who claims to be an Alien and ends up in a psychatric ward were he heals some of the "inmates". As well he shows some abilities which make people wonder if he isn't really from another planet.
    The film is funny and sad at the same time and Spacey's performance is great. Must see movie.

* * * * * out of 5

Road to Perdition
    ----------------------
    Starring Tom Hanks as a killer who tries to keep it secret from his family but one day one of his sons witnesses him "doing his job" and both have to flee the mobster's son who wants to have him killed. Judd Law acts as a mean assassin who likes to take pictures of the dead or dying.
    The movie is very dark and has some great cinematography. It's not all action but IMHO a very good movie worth seeing.

* * * * 1/2 out of 5

The Time Machine (Remake)
    -----------------------------------
    As expected this movie turned out to be crap. Starring Guy Pearce and Samantha Mumba it just does not compare to the original and the Morlocks are nothing but ridiculous.
    Some SFX are quite good but that doesn't help or even make it a good movie.
    Stay well clear of it or rent if you really have to.

* * out of 5

The Mothman Prophecies
    -------------------------------
    Richard Gere plays a guy who has just lost his life under rather strange circumstances and get's drawn into some weird on-goings in a small town where people claim to have seen a person looking like a moth (hence the title).
    Can't say much more without giving away the plot but I couldn't really follow and was left with the question what this movie was actually about. Not that it was bad but somehow I may not be able to understand it. Well, I will give it a fair rating.

* * * out of 5

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, have seen Stir Of Echoes, which was good without being outstanding.

K-Pax, IMHO was fantastic, Spacey was brilliant as usual and a great storyline.

3. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed K-Pax and loved Stir of Echoes, I would give them 3.5 and 4.5 respectively. Mind you, no one cares what I think:(

4. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Yep your right there :D

No both very good films, fingernails anyone :eek: