1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just seen: 15 Minutes (R3 from Taiwan)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reiner, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, just came back from a trip to Taipei and though not much time to go around I picked up 2 DVDs for cheap, one of them is "15 Minutes" starring Robert De Niro and Edward Burns.
    What I first thought would be something along the line of "Mad City" turned actually out to be a quite entertaining thriller with enough action to keep me on my seat all the time.
    A bit on the violent side ocassionally and if it wants to teach a lesson of the influence of the media it somewhat fails.
    Yet very watchable, not necessary with a happy ending, and highly recommended:

:) :) :) :) out of 5.

The DVD itself seems to be a genuine Taiwanese R3 release by DM (Deltamac) with Chinese cover and menues which I picked up for NT$600 (appr. GPB12).

I also purchased an original copy (by Fox) of the R3 of "Titan A.E." with Chinese labels but on closer inspection of the case I found they just inserted an additional cover, below was the English written version! I believe that this is just a re-coded R1 release as with most original R3 versions, but for a price of NT$400 (GBP8.00) definetely a bargain (and even came with a 10 disc plastic holder). :D

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,067
    One of the interesting things about "15 Minutes" R2 disc is that it is an EIV release.
    Which means a very bad cover, but it has a hidden DTS track! Hidden because there is no mention of it in any reviews or the cover!

Film was better than i thought it was going to be, ***1/2 out of 5

3. I J S

I J S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good point THX.EIV's sleeves are very poor especially when compaired to the R1 New line Cinema equivalents.

Anyway as for the film, I caught it at the flicks and struggled to get along with it.It's certainly not one I could sit through again!
    With the exception of Meet The Parents,i think De Niro's recent choice of material has been questionable to say the least.

Ian

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What didn't you like about it?

It didn't have a happy end (something new for a change) but I did enjoy the movie - IMHO better than most others shown recently, including 'The Score' which also starrs Rober De Niro besides Edward Norton (see my 'review' elsewhere).

Looking forward to "Training Days" ....