1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just saw an HT1000 running...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sheks, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    at the what hi-fi show in London yesterday. First time I've seen a DLP projector running - didn't see any rainbows, the contrast looked good aswell, no visible sceendoor (that I could see).

A much more "filmic" picture than my little Sony HS1 (not surprising given the contrast differences I suppose).

Can't afford an upgrade at the mo, maybe in the future tho. What's the current retail £ on such a unit anyway?

Sheks.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    2700 ex vat with an electric screen....

ad

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Unless you're one of the lucky bunch who bought one of the Nexnix 'bargains of the century' at £1999 + vat :D

4. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    yep I was there too and gave the demo guy a bit of a grilling about how it was set up.

He was using a VGA output from a pc with a 1.2:1 throw. no filters or tweaks just basically straight out the box. ..... and I stood about 6 foot from the screen and was gobsmacked lookiing at the image which had about an 8 foot horizontal span.

He said using a progressive scan input with RGB and line doubler software would make it shine but to be honest I couldn't see many faults with what I was looking at (apart from the price which was about 3500)

Now I'll admit I know nearly nothing about projectors but it seemed like the demo guy wasn't bs'ing me but can anyone confirm there woudl be a dramatic increase in image if the above was done.

so far this is the one I'm saving the pennies for , it walked all over the epson display upstairs
    can't wait to see this again at event II

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    Depending on the pcs components, I would say that anything else would be hard pushed to beat it. VGA or DVI are progressive (line doubled) by nature and can supply the pj with its native res of 1024x768. I'm not quite sure what he meant by PS and RGB/line doubler software - was that from a standalone player or pc?

You can still get a fantastic image out of the HT1000 just by feeding it a component signal from something like a Panasonic S75 (£115), but a properly set-up HTPC using DVI would be the way to go for detail and flexibility - it just depends on how much you like to tweak PCs.

The easiest route is a standalone player of course. I've tried a few players such as the Limit 9900SE, Cambridge Audio 57, Toshiba SD520E, Pany S75 and Skyworth 1050P. The best interalced output goeas to the Pany S75 wityh the 520 being equaly good, except it had a slight green shift to the left on PAL images. The Skyworth is at its best via vga.

I demo'd the NEC with a Pioneer - a 656 I think it was (component) and that almost convinced me to go the component player route, but HTPC is still more detailed and flexible, so that tipped the scales for me.

The HT1000 can produce an excellent image from any source, so get the pj and use your existing player to get you started, then look at your options for improving the player afterwards.

Where did you demo it - just at the show?

Gary.

6. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gary

If you use a 16:9 screen, does your 4:3 image appear outside of the screen height or is there a way to get it within the 16:9 screen?

Clint.

7. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I haven't demo'd it at all, just saw it running at the show.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,015
    I'm using a 16:9 screen, and in the menu, you can tell the pj you have a 16:9 screen so that everything only appears within the screen area.

You can also move the 16:9 image up and down within the 4:3 display panel, so mounting the pj becomes more flexible as you don't have to have it at the perfect height.

When showing 4:3 stuff in 16:9 mode, you have three options:

1. Normal - have it pillarboxed, so that you get the full picture within the screen with black bars either side.

2. Zoom - zoom in like you can with a widescreen tv and lose some from the top and bottom (you can slide the image up or down still, so you get more top than bottom if you wish).

3. Stadium - this is a non-linear stretch which keeps the center of the image normal, and just stretches out the sides (again, like a widescreen tv can).

HTH

Gary.

9. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4