Just said goodbye to my Denon 2800....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by miketango75, Apr 26, 2002.

1. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had an interesting week, its been one where I've spent some money on my favourite hobby and my pride and joy...my home cinema.
    Now normally buying new equipment is great fun although I usually do a fair amount of research before hand.
    Not this time, last Monday my Pioneer 717 decided to fail on me. I'd decided to go out and buy a new machine (ooh how exciting). I already have a Denon AVC-A10SE and POAT10. I've been extremely pleased with them so naturally thought I'd try the 2800. It seemed a logical upgrade

The 2800 looked fantastic with the amps but wow, what a dissapointment...

The day I got it (tuesday), I watched R1 Rush Hour 2 in DTS ES, the sound dropped out about 5 times during the film, this never happened with my 717. I thought this was slightly suspect so watched a couple of others, again the sound dropped out. (When it drops out, it's only for about half a second.)

Today I was able to some more 'scientific' viewing. Same sound problems but to add to these I also could see lines shimmering/flickering accross the screen at an angle of about 45 degrees. The films I watched were R1 Alien Res. and R2 Patriot. Both films exhibited video problems mostly during darker scenes . I have never seen these before with my 717 so was pretty annoyed (this was supposed to be an upgrade!!).

Anyway, I took the player back and have exchanged it for a Pioneer 747a.

I have replayed some sequences of the above films and the flickering lines have gone and the picture quality is much much better, obviously I need to do some extensive testing (shame!) but it's looking good so far.

If anyone's interested I'll keep this thread updated with my findings

Ian

technical info:-

Tosh 40" RPTV being fed S-Video for DVD (RGB scart is already occupied Sky)

Denon 2800 was m.region using ESS2248 firmware.

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Ian,

Interesting post as I am in exactly the same psositon as you...I too have the 10SE and a Pioneer DVD player (and agree it would look cool with 10SE and 2800 side-by-side :D ) and was looking at auditioning the Denon very soon...

After reading all the problems on the forum with the 2800 and sound/video artifacts, I am definitely going to give it a miss...I would always be waiting for dropouts or video issues to appear :(

Seeing as though the Tosh SD900e couldn't cut it with the CD replay and has gone back, it looks like it will be the Arcam DV88.

To be honest, this is Denon's first real go at their own DVD player (the older models used to use Panasonic bits I think)..so maybe they are finding their feet a bit - who knows???

JJ

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ian,

yes, others have had problems with shimmering/ pixellation with the 2800.. seems to be pot luck what you get.

I noticed in another post you were using ESS 2208 on 25/04, but you now say it was the current 2248. did you try both?

most people have been talking about video glitches, not much mention of sound problems though.

4. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was very hopeful that the software change would stop the audio drop outs. Obviously, there was no change. I couldn't really see any change in the video either.

Once I'd updated the f/ware I expected that it would make some kind of improvement, sadly not.

Ian