• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just reset me thomson pvr, squashed ch ITV2!

R

rainstel

I've been having a few probs with me thomson DHD4000 pvr, with lockups, freezing when using the epg, remote has to be used 6" away from the unit, etc. I've solved all these probs by resetting the pvr back to factory defaults (software versh 1.7.7 from 2.2.3) and all is well again.......except for channel ITV2, where the picture is showing in 4:3 not 16:9. This is the only channel affected this way and I'm assuming its the reset thats done this. I've rescanned all the progs and manually set 16:9 in the setup but its still the same. Any ideas?
I'm gonna see what effect an update on sunday morning at 03:00 has first.
btw, is there a way I can disable these updates? they appear to cause more problems than they're supposed to fix.
Cheers.

jon_mendel

Established Member
In terms of stability, the biggest help I found was going into the 'features' menu and turning off interactivity (mheg) - if you don't need this 'press the red button' type of interactivity, this makes the box *much* more stable. I run the box with this turned off, and the latest firmware, and it's pretty stable.

re. ITV2, have you tried unplugging the unit then pluggling it in again? Also, have you tried scanning for channels again? If you've done these, your best bet is probably - as you say - to see if the update on Sunday helps matters.
IME, the upgrades seemed to help stability - so I'd suggest giving it another chance, as maybe there was a problem with the install of the last upgrade?

R

rainstel

Cheers for the info mate, I've turned of "mehg" interactivity so I'll see how that goes. I've gone back to the latest software versh, and the 4:3 aspect on ITV2 and 3 is now 16:9, so that proves it was the original software reset that caused this. As I said, I'll give it a few days and see how it goes, thanks again.

R

rainstel

Funny you should mention that, both my thomson remotes (I've got a normal thomson freeview box that uses the same remote and both seem to eat batteries all the time. I was thinking it was where I was buying me batteries from, shelf life and all that!) One thing to try is, if the remote works fine when its used about 6"-8" away from the pvr, then I'm sure its the software doing that, not the remote, this was a prob I had and when i reset the software to default, the remote started working about 10ft away.

jon_mendel

Established Member
thanks. The remote doesn't work, period.

I figured I'd try a s/ware reset anyway, see if it helped - and turns out for some reason my univ remote won't let me get into service menu and - in the 'technical' screen, pressing the blue button doesn't reset anything. Any other way to do this.

aargh, technology can be annoying sometimes :(

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread ;)

Edited to add - right, now the remote's started working. Well, I'm not complaining :)

rainstell - does resetting the s/ware lose your recordings? And is there a way to go back to the latest version afterwards.
Thanks.

R

rainstel

I found that resetting the software takes it to 1.7.7, the factory default. Resetting again takes it to last software version you had. I didn't lose any recordings I had made no matter how many times I reset the machine, but obviously this is not a definitive answer, I suppose it "could" delete them, but ,like I said, it didn't on mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom