Just recieved JVC Dvd Recordr HELP!

whiteswan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hI

I have svideo from sky plus box into jvc recorder -

From jvc recorder I have component out to pana ae 100 projeactor.

Now I have a pic on screen but the projector says its 625i - does this mean its interlaced and not progressive?

I have changed the av output of the recorder to component - what else do I have to change to get progressive scan?

Thanks

Dave, Oldham.

........I found the prog scan button my remote! RTFM!!!

But here's one that's not in the manual - how do i watch sky movies in dolby digital progressivly thru the jvc dvd recorder?

You see I have svideo into the jvc dvd recorder - this then goes via components to projector as stated above.

The optical audio out from the sky box goes into my sony amp -BUT - because the JVC Recorder takes a second or 2 to prog scan the signal there is lip sync errors.

If I go optical out from the jvc recorder then I have lost the 5.1 from the sky box haven't i? Assuming I take 2x phono's from the sky box to the jvc recorder for audio?

Anybody clear this one up?

Dave, Oldham.

whiteswan - woz here from the DVD Forums.

I would presume you are right about losing the DD sound due to the delay. I also have optical output on my Sky+ box to my amp for all sound (be it DD5.1 or sport etc.) does the lip sync only happen on DD5.1 movies? Is the sound, say for Sky Sports, in sync when connected to the AE100?

Mine should be at home when I get there after work so will give it a whirl also. How much of an improvement on normal S-Video is the Prog-Scan via component via the JVC? Is it like going from a standard component DVD player to a Prog Scan one?

Be great for Euro 2004 and just in time for Chelsea v Arsenal tomorrow night, providing of course there is no lip sync.

Woz

I think the circuitry in the recorder takes a second or so to make the signal prog scan - so its with everything.

Not to worry too much - the prog scan pic on mine is superb - u can see huge improvement for example on the sky guide - everything becomes very very sharp!

Well worth the money - on a seperate note excell have just called me and told me that Sky have stopped delivery of my Thomson tv coming tomorrow!

They are trying to find out why...........sounds a bit funny.

Dave, Oldham.

Got mine all rigged up now, agree picture on Sky+ looks superb and the lipsync is about 1/10th or a second I reckon. Seems worse on some channels than others. Fine for football.

Bargain!!

I have sacrificed the dolby digital and took the optical output from the dvd recorder into my amp - this will give me dolby d on dvd's etc - and prologic 2 on sky plus.

I have rgb'd my sky plus box into my tv - so i can still optical out from the sky box to the amp and have dolby digital whilst watching on the tv - seems the only way.

Its took me nearly all day to sort all my wiring out - I have a motorised dish - divx player, dvd player, now a recorder, gamecube etc etc etc!

Dave, Oldham.

As long as I can get Prologic 2 from the Sky+ using the optical output on the recorder i'll be happy. Getting ris of Sky Movies soon anyway.

Are you just running S-Video fom Sky+ into the front of the JVC? I heard you mention getting an S-Video into RGB adaptor in a previous thread. Don't suppose this is needed is it?

No I am running the svideo and audio from the sky plus into the scart socket of the jvc recorder - via the adaptor I mentioned - only a few pounds from Maplins.

The front svideo sockets I need to connect my divx player into it - for making - this way I can copy divx to dvd very easily - plus because the jvc takes all signals in and converts them to progressive - its a way of watching region 1 stuff progressively and also it will pass the signal thru to the projector.

It took me ages to figure it all out.....................

So now I have My Sky Plus box rgb'd to my tosh tvand also svideo to jvc recorder - my divx/dvd player is svideo/audio to front sockets of jvc recorder.My terrestrial aerial goes into aerial socket in back of jvc recorder - then out to my tv, optical audio out from jvc recorder to sony amp and optical audio out from sky box to sony amp and finally optical audio out from dvd/divx player to sony amp! So I just choose which input on the jvc recorder to record from - I have a choice of Sky Plus (svideo quality - very good), Dvd /Divx Player (svideo quality very good) or terresrial aerial (not so good).

Its the jvc video input settings meny thats the confusing thing - because by activating some sockets (ie component) - it shuts down others!

Make sure you choose sat - svideo for the bottom option if u r using the way I connected above with the adaptor - oh and if you get a black and white picture on your projector when you first put the jvc dvd recorder on - press setup - then exit out of it again - it seems to reactivate the prog scan circuitry after it has been switched off.

Dave, Oldham.

What kind of adaptor are you using? I have a cable that is scart one end and S-Video & 2 phonos the other. Might try this later on.

Dave, cheers for the link. I'm thinking that my cable will do the same job as it too has the input/output switch.

After some playing with the machine last night after 'er indoors' had gone to bed I have come up with my positive and negatives:

Positives:
The picture quality when watching DVD's via Prog-Scan on my AE100 is amazing. Miles better than my Lidl ebench DVD Player. Best i've ever seen in fact.

Recording quality is also great and I burnt a DVD-R, finalised it and tried it in the ebench. Worked perfectly!!

Negatives:
Delay in sound when watching Sky+ via the recorder and into PJ

Lack of RGB input. I think that it will niggle away at me, thinking how much better it could (would) look if RGB was being inputted. I have never been a big S-Video fan as I always think there is a slight blur around things.

Lack of Multi-Region. I thought about just using this as my default player due to the excellent quality of pic but then realised there is no MR hack.

Overall:
For my first ever standalone DVD recorder I am very impressed overall with this player and for £200 it's a snip. That said I have been reading a lot about the forthcoming Panasonic E55 and the fact this is RGB in and can be modded for MR make it a tempting purchase. I could ebay this player and get enough to buy the E55 but for the time being I will enjoy the player.

One thing I wanted to do was to back up old VHS videos. Is the best way to take scart from vid into JVC? Don't think my video is RGB anyway so not an issue.

Dave & Wozwebs, there are now a number of mid range home cinema amps on the market which allow you to delay the audio to compensate for lip sync errors produced by video processing such as progressive scan, scaling etc. Typically, the user can set the delay for between 0-200ms (ie. up to 1/5th of a second) and most will accept digital audio input (AC3 & DTS).

Some examples are the Yamaha RX-V1400 & Denon AVR-1604:

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receivers/rx-v1400rds/

http://www.denon.co.uk/startpage.htm

Thanks OAR

I may well invest in one of those in to future.

At the moment I have spent that much that I can't afford one! Plus I would say the delay is a full 1 second - which they may not compensate for...........

I think I am happy for now, just have found another problem..............when I record from an external source - it seems to record okay BUT plays back in b+w!

Now when I put the recorded disc into a another player it plays in full colour.

So its obviously a playback problem from my DVD recorder to my tv - as it plays back on the projector in colour also!

I have changed the scart output to scart rgb going to the tv but it doesnt make any difference.................oh headaches!

Dave, Oldham.

I had the B&W problem at first but resolved it by 'messing about with the settings' (technical term). Sorry can't be of more help.

Going to see how much I use it in the next 2 weeks and if not at all then I may consider ebaying it to make a quick buck. Picture quality through prog scan of both Sky+ and DVD's is exceptional though.

......I take it you have the recorder scarted to tv and also component to projector?

Can you tell me your settings in the av1 av2 front 1 set up screen - you know the one where you select svideo, component etc please?

Start at the top and go down them all matey.

Thanks Dave, Oldham.

I haven't yet linked the TV up via scart. All I have is Sky+ linked up via a cable that has S-Video and phonos one end (the Sky+ end) then into the L1 socket on the back of the JVC.

I then have component running to the PJ with prog scan selected.

I am at work at present so can't check yet but I think every setting was set to S-Video or S-Video Sat if the option is there apart from the output which is set to component.

Hope this helps, will confirm later.

....it's okay I got it sorted out.

I have to change av output to scart to view on my tv - but i was forgetting to change the tv from svideo back to scart!

All done all working.........................

Dave. Oldham.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom