1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just received the tosh ET1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Oct 18, 2005.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just received the Toshiba Et1 that me and deano-b bought as a spare.

First impressions are that its actually not bad considering it only cost 380 squids. Nice bright picture, colours are good and it throws a larger image than my 700 from the same position. Screen door is visible but then its only a 480p machine, had to use the reduce screen size function (digital) to fit my screen so I'll be losing some resolution. As a spare it sure beats no pj at all and to be honest it looks better than my other mates ae200 (brighter picture). Considering the price I am very happy with the unit, as a bonus it also has a 2 yr warranty, just hope I dont experience the bulb issues that I have read about , shouldnt get used that much (LOL) so the bulb should last a while.

2. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just plugged my 700 back in and it looks considerably duller than the tosh, probably cos the 700 has 2500hrs on it and the tosh is brand new, bit of a shock though to see such a difference.

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After a night at deano's testing the et1 I can honestly say that we were both very surprised at how good the machine is. The pj is extremely bright and vivid and we both agreed that we had never seen our 700's looking as bright as this even when they were new, the picture from a htpc playing a mixture of dvd and hi-def material was very impressive with only a hint of vb and screendoor, the most impressive thing was that the colours were very strong and vivid and made the image very punchy, blacks levels were also very good considering it has no dynamic iris (equal to that of the ae500). If your after a cheap as chips projector or a spare backup unit I cant recommend the et1 enough, bargain of the year as far as im concerned.

4. Adetrick

Adetrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Fallwood, very interesting posts, thanks for the info. I've been lurking on this and other forums for a while and had decided on purchasing a 2nd hand projector as a starter to sample the delights of a 65+ inch picture (see current ad in the wanted section).

Up until your post I didn't realise for £90ish more I could purchase one new with warranty etc etc.. Having googled ET1 I have found the site currently selling these at £380. At the risk of being a pain I have a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

I was going to feed whatever projector I bought from my Shuttle PC. A bit research gave me the Powerstrip settings to get 1:1 pixel mapping to say an AE100/200 or a Z1 but I have found nothing for the ET1. What resolution were you feeding it from your htpc? Also, what DVD software were you using, any recomendations?

Thanks
    Ade

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    This may be the answer. Instead of worrying about warranties on 1K+ projectors, simply buy 3 of these...PJ :D

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We left the desktop as it was cos its set up for the ae700 at 1280x720 and we couldnt be arsed re-mapping it to the et1, just upped the dpi setting on the graphics card to 120 and it looked pretty decent, I suppose it depends on what modes your graphics card will support, as far as I know our ati's wont do 856x480 so we left it as it was. Theatertek is my dvd player of choice but I also use media center edition for most of my video playback.

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Considering buying another just incase the current et1 breaks down, a backup for the backup :D

8. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    buy a backup for backing up the backup and keep it offsite at my flat :D

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It has to be said that 'Fallwood' and I have got a real bargain! I have seen the mess that is the BenQ5120 PJ at around £550 and can honestly say that this machine blows it away! I'd also rate it above the Panny 200! A very bright, solid, and vivid image with good black levels which I would say are on par with the Panny 500, good conectivity, and a 2 year warranty for £380 :eek: Be warned though that the zoom is not very flexible and you do need to calculate where you will position this PJ relative to the size of the screen!! So overall if anyone wants a cheap entry level PJ I cannot recommend it enough!! :thumbsup:

10. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    There's no zoom lens on this projector and it's a very short throw, so it needs to be positioned very close to the screen. There's a throw distance chart in the manual (which can be downloaded from amazon.com). I was thinking about getting one, but the throw is much too short for my room, so I won't be bothering.

11. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From 7'5" back the Tosh produces a 6'6" wide image. The zoom is digital.

12. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    fallwood, what about the chicken wire effect (LCD elements pattern) that ET1 supposedly produces...could you confirm or deny this?

13. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it does show some screen door on a 6ft screen but its not any worse than the ae200/300. Considering the price its hard to fault it really, yes there is some screen door, yes there is some vb but as it only cost £380 we are able to forgive its flaws as its so damn cheap.

14. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    RIGHT!!! :thumbsup:

15. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i am thinking about one of these just as a starter projector can you tell me how good or bad the digital zoom is
    thanks

16. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Its actually not as bad as it sounds, I have to reduce screen size to about 88% from my current ceiling mount position and it doesnt make a huge noticable difference to the image quality of dvd etc, windows desktop does suffer though as the text can become compressed and difficult to read, to get round this I just increased the dpi setting of the graphics card. If your after throwing a big picture onto a screen for as little money as possible then this is the way to go, buy one you wont be disappointed, if you are you can always return it under the distance selling regulations.

17. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Where do you get an ET1 for £385 ? My girlfriends parents want an entry level projector and this sounds good.

Ta
    Anim

18. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    www.oyyy.co.uk - It really is a great machine for the money £380 inc. of vat and p&p - and it has a 2 year warranty.

19. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    prc have them for £375 but i have just got one from my local pc world for £299 althrough the contact center said its discontiued it may be worth a call and i am very impresed just need to buy a better screen now

20. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought yours was an ex demo machine. What warranty did you get??

21. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    mine is an ex demo i did speek to there contact center who said it is no longer stocked i do know the store had 2 units in when i first saw them but by the time i bought it there was only 1 left both were sold at £299 it is the standard waranty 24 months rtb

22. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks guys.

Will any 16:9 screen do for this?

they want to mount it above the patio window so it pulls down in front of them. Only for night viewing and just DVD's, probably via a cheap laptop or one of those 40 quid azda dvd players will do.

Also noticed that the Epson TW10H is 90 quid more but has 1200 lumens but don't know if its a huge leap in quality or not. I couldn't help but look at it lol!

Edit: While were here, anybody know of a budget 5.1 sound setup to drive this pj with a budget dvd player?

Anim

23. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    OK, since noone felt obliged to answer my Hitachi PJ-LC9 thread, I'm about to really fork out some cash for the Tosh ET1 (don't laugh, I know it's cheap though still more expensive than in the UK, that's about all I can curently spend to get big picture and not fork out trice as much for a Plasma)...the only thing that's still stoping me is how am I going to hunt down a new lamp for it once the original one burns out 2 or 3 years from now (actually does anyone think that it wold last that long running a couple of hours a day???)...the guy at the shop called a guy at the service who said that it's no problem 'cause Toshiba uses the same lamp for many of their PJs which in my opinion couldn't be further from the truth (each projector is a unique design and requires uniqe lamp cage AFAIK) - of course I may be utterly wrong and the other guys may be absolutely right!!!

24. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    At that price you just throw away the whole PJ and buy a new one. :D

25. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Why would you do that when the bulbs are available for £180, that would be throwing £380 away.

26. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You'd be throwing £200 away on my reckoning, and I was joking. :)

27. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I went with the oyyy £375 deal and also got the Panasonic SC-HT530 (Progressive and Component out) kit from sound and vision for £156

The ET1 has great reviews and still costs double or trebble on other websites.

The HT530 came second to the Sony D500 in Which? magazine back in August I think and its half the price of it. It isnt DivX but it can play DVD-RAM discs.

I just have to wait 2 weeks for projectorscreen to get the 80" wide screen screens in stock and that will be £80 which includes black out backing.

So for £620 a complete entry level cinema kit for my girlfriends dad. He's seen my AE100 so I am sure this will be better. The ET1 also has a Faroudja DCDi chip so NTL should look ok on it too.

28. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what pc connections does this have?

29. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: