1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just received Castaway

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by pauld, May 16, 2001.

1. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my copy of Castaway and boy am I pleased. It has DTS ES matrixed and Dolby EX, along with a pile of extras. Havent seen the actual film yet and can't wait.

2. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info

3. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RECIEVED ALREADY..................WHERE DID U ORDER FROM.

4. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen it in the "shops"!
    But......Why buy!
    Oh well, we are all different!

5. fishyben

fishyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karla, I don't think you have seen it in the "shops" ;)
    I know copies have been sent out to critics and industry bod's for review purposes but the release date is still showing as June 12 for region 1.
    unless your talking about Castaway [1987] Oliver Reed, Amanda Donohoe :confused:

[ 17-05-2001: Message edited by: fishyben ]

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    I find some peoples attitudes baffling with regard to films. PaulD, you say that 'boy are you pleased' because Castaway has fancy sound and a pile of extras, but YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM YET??? You sort of imply that this doesn't matter - that you will still be happy anyway even if the film stinks. Personally I would like a copy of some of my favourite films on DVD and wouldn't care if there wasn't a single extra on the disc. By the way, I haven't seen Castaway yet myself cos I couldn't force myself to pay £4 to watch a Tom Hanks movie. Lets just say that I am not his biggest fan. I don't like the whole fascination that Hollywood has with him. I share my younger brothers taste in films - he seen it and advised me not to go - that was enough for me. I might watch it when it comes on Sky.

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    What's with the naw name SOK?? That.... is.... you.... right??

BTW, I've seen Cast Away and believe me it's not that bad, in fact it's an enjoyable watch. Most of the film is actually pretty good; the planes crash, the whole time he's deserted on the island etc... The film just tends to drag on a bit to long in my opinion and could/should have been at least half an hour shorter.

Well worth a purchase I think and that crash is simply gonna tear some speakers apart in DTS ;)

pauld, I know discs arrive early alot of the time, but how the hell did you get Cast Away nearly a month early?

8. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In reply to "Because William Shatners" response, I dont just buy film's for their extra content or sound format but because I enjoy collecting films that I enjoy seeing. I took a gamble on Castaway because I like Tom Hanks films and several friends have seen it and recommended it. It is just a bonus that it has the latest sound formats that I can enjoy on my EX and ES setup. I have a full 6.1 setup and intend to make the most out of it!!

In answer to peoples questions on how I got the film so early, e-mail me and I will tell you where to get it. We should not discuss which suppliers release the films early on an open forum as this may upset the distributors.

[ 17-05-2001: Message edited by: pauld ]

[ 17-05-2001: Message edited by: pauld ]

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    PaulD, You've convinced me that you are not one of those people who collect films that have great sound and picture and no content. And I might get around to watching it myself sometime - thanks for the recommendation Tee. Also heard that it was too long (a problem with a lot of modern films methinks) - and as for the name change - why not?!?

10. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um, fishyben, (?) I hate to be contrary, but I have seen it in "shops". It just depends where you shop and how well you know the people that run them I suppose... ;)
    And no, not the old one, either... :rolleyes:

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Willy,

You wrote:
    "Personally I would like a copy of some of my favourite films on DVD and wouldn't care if there wasn't a single extra on the disc."
    Err, the idea of owning a DVD isn't solely for the film, although that maybe the main reason. Extras can help make a DVD more "valuable" to the customer, because they feel they are getting value-for-money. If you only want a film, then get the VHS copy!

You also said: "By the way, I haven't seen Castaway yet myself cos I couldn't force myself to pay £4 to watch a Tom Hanks movie. Lets just say that I am not his biggest fan. I don't like the whole fascination that Hollywood has with him. I share my younger brothers taste in films - he seen it and advised me not to go - that was enough for me. I might watch it when it comes on Sky."
    That seems a little bit hypocritical of you. You chastise someone for liking a disc because of the sound quality and extras, even though they haven't seen the film yet. (Maybe Paul has seen the film in the cinema? I don't know?!) And yet, you won't see any Tom Hanks films simply because your kid brother hated it, and you don't follow Hollywood's fascination with him. Surely, you are accusing Paul of being ignorant, yet are being just as ignorant yourself. No offence intended, but that's how I interpret your post. I apologise if that is not what you meant, but that's how it comes across to me (and maybe others as well)!

Pooch