Just Purchased an LCD? Opt for a +4 Yrs Warranty?

RichA

Standard Member
Reaction score
To Extend or Not To Extend? That is the question...

In the good ol' days things used to last forever. Is this true of LCD's.

I'm about to purhase a Sharp 32 GA5. The options are thus:

* LCD +1 Yr's Warranty ~ c£950 delivered (plenty of e-tailers)
* LCD +5 Yr's Warranty ~ c£1200 delivered (JL)

So £250 gets you +4 years warranty. This looks competitively priced. etailers are offereing +4 yrs for upto £299.

But, do you reckon with LCD's it's worth having the piece of mind?

So, did you buy an extended warranty? Please let me know.

Cheers, Rich

After reading the small print, I chose not to do it.
This "extended warranty" was more like an insurance against defects and damage, with so many exemptions and special clauses that it would be almost impossible to make any claim.

If you buy the screen using a Capital One card, you can get an extra 1 year's warranty for free..

So if you get it from JL, I believe you would end up with 6 years warranty for same price...

Do none of the E-Retailers have high street shops? Maybe you could get JL to price match them? I know Tv and Video Direct have a shop somewhere, but their prices differ from the website, so call them up for 'in store price'.

Ben

Are Sharp not offering the extended 3 year warranty again?
I'd double check this before you buy.

RichA,
Have a look at this site Warrantyex.co.uk tell me what you think, I have the same problem but think this is a good deal.

Does look like a good deal. £194 for +4 yrs.

So...£899 (unbeatable) + £194 (warrantyex) = £1093 (incl. 5 yrs of warranty).

However, I have opted for JL. Pricematched them down to £969 with the warranty all included.

So am pretty content - pick it up tomorrow.

RichA said:
However, I have opted for JL. Pricematched them down to £969 with the warranty all included.

Now that's good going mate!! Well done! :thumbsup:

Ben

A Nationwide card gives you 1 years extra warranty for free. When you ring up to register they will offer you an additional 3 years warranty for peanuts compared to what the shops try and sell you. If I remeber correctly it cost me less than £80 for an extra 3 years on my Toshiba 26WL46. As it's still in the Tosh warranty I've not had call t se it so not sure what the quality of the service is like but I'm sure it's fine.

I have household insurance with 'accidental damage' included. If I get a problem wiht my TV or anything else I'll have an accident with them while moving them around ;) .

The only problem with that is that if you have no claims discount on your insurance you will lose it. Plus you normally have to pay an excess of around £50-60 on most policies. Still cheaper than an extended warranty from most places though!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom