• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just purchased an AVR350 - question on speakers settings

Hades

Distinguished Member
Just received my new AVR350 @ a bargain price of £800 :thumbsup:

Got all my cables in and just going through the process of speaker distances/delay, level settings and sizes.

The speakers distances/delay is no problem, done and dusted. But is it actually required?

Level settings have been set-up from within the Arcam menu, but I also have the AVIA disk. A calibration guide I got from the internet states its best to set-up with this disk. Start with your FL speaker and ensure the level setting on the receiver is set to 0. Then turn the volume up on the receiver until the SPL meter reads 75. Then go onto each of the other speakers and adjust the level settings until the SPL reads 75 for each one.

On my old receiver I could access the level setting for each speaker from the front panel..... how do you change the level settings with the AVR350 without having to be in the on screen menu?

I have my speaks all set to small but I am unsure if that is the correct setting for them.

In the manual it says:

A Large speaker is one that is capable of handling a full range signal (i.e. 20Hz-20kHz).

A Small speaker is one that is not capable of reproducing a deep bass signal (i.e. below 100Hz).

I have Kef Q1's for front and rear and the spec for these is 45Hz-27kHz.

My centre speaker is the Kef Q9C and the spec for that is 50Hz-27kHz.

So have I got it right at small for these or should they be large?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gazza.

gotnomoney

Standard Member
Just been doing something similar with my new AVR-350. I have Monitor Audio Silver S8 Fronts and SFX rears. Theoretically I should be able to set them all to Large. I don't use a subwoofer, so I need to ensure that the bass is redirected to the front speakers, so the subwoofer setting is set to "Off". I've found that if I set the Centre speaker to Large then some of the bass appears to be directed to it. Because it's not of the same spec bass-wise as the floorstanding S8s the sound is a bit more lightweight than I would like. If I set the centre to small then the sound is more to my liking. So I've ended up with FL and FR set to large, Centre and rears set to small.

Not sure about your query to do with setting the levels. I've just done a basic setup tonight and will be playing with it more tomorrow - I'll let you know if I find anything useful.

Hades

Distinguished Member
Sussed the altering levels via remote :smashin:

Rakurai

Just received my new AVR350 @ a bargain price of £800 :thumbsup:

That *IS* a bargain :eek: :smashin:

The speakers distances/delay is no problem, done and dusted. But is it actually required?

Yes, unless all your speakers are on equal distance to the listening position. But correct timing is essential to create that 'surround bubble' where you don't hear individual speakers, but that totally immersive sound :).

On my old receiver I could access the level setting for each speaker from the front panel..... how do you change the level settings with the AVR350 without having to be in the on screen menu?

Actually, you can also navigate through the on-screen menu just using the display on the AVR350. I don't even have mine hooked up to the TV here. It takes a bit of getting used to though.

I have my speaks all set to small but I am unsure if that is the correct setting for them.

I assume you have a sub then? The large/small setting determines how bass is routed in your system.

With subwoofer:
Large: all bass is sent to the speaker, and only LFE to the sub;
Small: LFE and bass below the crossover frequency is sent to sub;

Without subwoofer:
Large: all bass and LFE is sent to the speaker;
Small: LFE and bass below the crossover frequency is rerouted to the main (large) speakers.

Note that the crossover frequency does not apply to the LFE signal.

So with a good quality sub it's generally best to set all speakers to small, but just experiment with the settings to find out what works best for you.

Hades

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I am leaving the speakers set to small as I have a sub and at the end of the day they are just the Q1 bookshelf speakers.

Just been playing around with two forms of calibration.

The first is Arcam's own test tone and calibrating them all at 75 using my SPL mounted on a tripod at the listening position.

Settings for this resulted as follows:

FL = +2
Cen = +3
FR = +1
SR = -2
SL = +3
Sub = 0

Then I listened to the scene in Clear and Present danger where they blow up all the drug cartel using the big yellow truck as the painted target. You have good use of all speakers in this particular scene. The master volume was set at 60db.

Then I put all the levels back to 0 and used the method from the Avia DVD. Where you increase the master volume until the FL reads 75 on the SPL. Then you move onto the other speakers and adjust the levels so that each one of the others reads 75 too.

The master volume had to be 77db for the FL to register 75 on the SPL.

Settings for this resulted as follows:

FL = 0
Cen = -1
FR = -1
SR = -4
SL = +1
Sub = -1

I then listened to the same scene again and to be honest did not like it. Even though the Avia method is supposed to be the correct way, from what I understand, I preferred the sound from Arcam's own tone set-up.

So I have reverted back to the Arcam settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom