just purchased a refurbished Yamaha RX-V373 looking for help and advice

LevelUpRob

as title says..

bought it off richersounds outlet store and I'm looking for advice as this will be a pretty big step up to what I'm currently using (LG HT805 5.1 all in one dvd system)

as i will not be able to get any speakers till next month i'd to know if the speakers would be safe to use with the amp temporarily?

Edit..

I just purchased some warfadale diamond 9.0 speakers to get me started as they were only £50 quid so forget this thread. will get the 9.1 speakers and sub package in the next few months then get the center

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Chances are you would not have been able to use them anyway since they are probably low impedance (below 4ohms) and a passive sub. Neither of which can be used with an AV receiver.

LevelUpRob

Chances are you would not have been able to use them anyway since they are probably low impedance (below 4ohms) and a passive sub. Neither of which can be used with an AV receiver.

as I couldn't find any info confirming this other than someone on a forum saying they were using some Samsung speakers while they saved for better speakers I thought it would be best not to risk it.

LevelUpRob

Speakers and amp turned up last Wednesday. All seams in good Nick. Plugged the amp in tow check it works so far so good.

My choice for the fronts are diamond 9.1s so will get them next month.

What I'm in a stump for is the center and the sub.

I can get the wharfedale sw150 as part of a package with the 9.1s off superfli so I'm not to hung up on the sub its the center I'm struggling on.

I can't seem to find any of the 9 series centres anywhere. I have found a wharfedale vardus cr-1 for £69.99 off avbristall. Do you think this would combine well?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Speakers and amp turned up last Wednesday. All seams in good Nick. Plugged the amp in tow check it works so far so good.

My choice for the fronts are diamond 9.1s so will get them next month.

What I'm in a stump for is the center and the sub.

I can get the wharfedale sw150 as part of a package with the 9.1s off superfli so I'm not to hung up on the sub its the center I'm struggling on.

I can't seem to find any of the 9 series centres anywhere. I have found a wharfedale vardus cr-1 for £69.99 off avbristall. Do you think this would combine well?

You'd ideally use the Diamond 9.CC centre speaker in order to maintain tonal matching across the front soundstage, but this speaker is no longer in manufacture and hard to come by. The problem with buying the Diamond 9 speakers is that you can no longer acquire the accompanying centre speaker new and may have to purchase one secondhand?

You do not need to match a sub to the other speakers and any brand or make can be used.

I'd probably suggest you forgo the Diamond 9 speakers for the reason above as well as because of their signature sound not being the best for partnering with a Yamaha receiver. Yamaha amps tend to be better partnered with clinical sounding speakers and the Wharfdales are warm in nature.

The Mission MX range of speakers would be comparable to the Wharfdale Diamond speakers, but with a more clinical signature sound and with a centre speaker that is still available.

Last edited:

LevelUpRob

You'd ideally use the Diamond 9.CC centre speaker in order to maintain tonal matching across the front soundstage, but this speaker is no longer in manufacture and hard to come by. The problem with buying the Diamond 9 speakers is that you can no longer acquire the accompanying centre speaker new and may have to purchase one secondhand?

You do not need to match a sub to the other speakers and any brand or make can be used.

I'd probably suggest you forgo the Diamond 9 speakers for the reason above as well as because of their signature sound not being the best for partnering with a Yamaha receiver. Yamaha amps tend to be better partnered with clinical sounding speakers and the Wharfdales are warm in nature.

The Mission MX range of speakers would be comparable to the Wharfdale Diamond speakers, but with a more clinical signature sound and with a centre speaker that is still available.

Great thanks mate I will check the missions out. Must admit I don't really understand the whole "warm" and "clinical" terms but thats me not doing enough research lol

LevelUpRob

Well as it happens I got a bit impatient so I hooked up my diamond 9.0's as fronts while I wait for my front and center to arive.

Here's my thoughts:

Absolute bargain at £50 could not believe the difference between them and my LG all in one. Alot more clarrity and base.

Having been impressed with them I decided to go with wharfedale for my fronts and center. I couldn't find any diamond 9 series center without looking abroad and paying £30 postage ontop of the £80-90 they were going for so I went with the wharfedale vardus vr100 as fronts for £79.99 off avBristol's eBay outlet and the vardus vrc1 center off their Amazon store for £70. Great bargain I thought.

Now looking at subs for my next purchase I have come across a magnat monitor supreme 301 sub off Amazon are they a reputable brand on here?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd have been better paying the additional £30 for the postage in order to get the matching centre speaker. The Vardus centre will probably not tonally match the Wharfdale 9 speakers.

I'd suggest you look at the BK GEmini II for a sub:
Gemini

or the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 which is available for only £170:
Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND SW150 SUBWOOFER (BLACK)

The above 2 options cannot really be beaten in yerms of their price.

Last edited:

LevelUpRob

I have gone for the matching vardus fronts so my diamonds will go to the rears so it will match at the front

Definitely thinking of the sw150 would like it all be the same brand

dante01

Distinguished Member
I have gone for the matching vardus fronts so my diamonds will go to the rears so it will match at the front

Definitely thinking of the sw150 would like it all be the same brand

Matching the sub to the other speakers is not important. Just buy the best performing sub you can afford ;)

LevelUpRob

Matching the sub to the other speakers is not important. Just buy the best performing sub you can afford ;)

Well so Much for being patient I just bought the diamond 10 SX for £149.99 curse the eBay app! Least that's me done but I'll be stocking up on 10p tins of beans until the end of the month lol only got paid yesterday lol

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom