Question Just purchased a 55E7N.

Bernard_Shakey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I finally bought the 55E7N from John Lewis on Saturday. Thanks to those of you who enlightened me to my ignorance in OLED being a completely different animal to LED - this lead to more research on my behalf elsewhere.

I managed to get them to price match Tesco for £2329, although I did find one for £2119 on another website, but they didn’t recognise that site as one they match to. Still pleased with what I got. It gets delivered a week on Monday (although I could have picked it up this Tuesday, but another assistant came along and said I’d never get in in my boot (CR-V) as the box is twice the size of the TV. I’d done some research beforehand and tried to argue with him. His final line was that his system wouldn’t let him order it for collection due to the size anyway - hey ho)

A quick couple of questions. I note that most of the HDMI slots are on the edge of the rear section.
1st question: Would a right-angled cable be better than a right-angled adaptor, or should I stay away from them altogether?
2nd Question: does anyone have any cable recommendations, specifically in regard to speed. I’ll only have a Sky Q box and a PlayStation 3 attached to it.

Thanks again for your initial help and thanks in advance for the cable answers.

Dave.

Are you getting cash back off that because I paid 2500 for the 65 inch model and a b7 can be had for 1350 give or take and owning the e7 myself it really isn't worth 800 quid more than the C7 or b7 models.

Question 1
i dont have the E7 but have the B7 i was thinking the same but after geting the TV and using a straight cable it works out much better then i thought. as i only have a small gap from the TV and Wall (using the LG wall bracket) I think a right-angled adaptor + cable would hit the wall, now with a Right angle cable it self i do not know. i am always scard of a cable facing the wall encase I push the tv agent the wall and it it breaks the connection on the TV

Question 2
AmazonBasic 2.0 HDMI cable(came in different sizes)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1516023126&sr=1-1&keywords=HDMI

Edit: about cashback from JL (£500 cashback on 55E7). you have to claim it. making your TV £1829 :)
Home - LG Offers

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi,
I finally bought the 55E7N from John Lewis on Saturday. Thanks to those of you who enlightened me to my ignorance in OLED being a completely different animal to LED - this lead to more research on my behalf elsewhere.

I managed to get them to price match Tesco for £2329, although I did find one for £2119 on another website, but they didn’t recognise that site as one they match to. Still pleased with what I got. It gets delivered a week on Monday (although I could have picked it up this Tuesday, but another assistant came along and said I’d never get in in my boot (CR-V) as the box is twice the size of the TV. I’d done some research beforehand and tried to argue with him. His final line was that his system wouldn’t let him order it for collection due to the size anyway - hey ho)

A quick couple of questions. I note that most of the HDMI slots are on the edge of the rear section.
1st question: Would a right-angled cable be better than a right-angled adaptor, or should I stay away from them altogether?
2nd Question: does anyone have any cable recommendations, specifically in regard to speed. I’ll only have a Sky Q box and a PlayStation 3 attached to it.

Thanks again for your initial help and thanks in advance for the cable answers.

Dave.

Just get some of these, they're great value and don't 'stick out' I use them on my 65E6.

SlimHDMI Leads - tps - TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd

Are you getting cash back off that because I paid 2500 for the 65 inch model and a b7 can be had for 1350 give or take and owning the e7 myself it really isn't worth 800 quid more than the C7 or b7 models.
Yes, I am getting cashback. I asked that question before purchasing to both the LG advisor and the JL partner (sales assistant!!!)
I looked long and hard at the 65 inch model and would have had it, but in reality it just does not fit comfortably in the room. Not at all.

Dave.

Question 1
i dont have the E7 but have the B7 i was thinking the same but after geting the TV and using a straight cable it works out much better then i thought. as i only have a small gap from the TV and Wall (using the LG wall bracket) I think a right-angled adaptor + cable would hit the wall, now with a Right angle cable it self i do not know. i am always scard of a cable facing the wall encase I push the tv agent the wall and it it breaks the connection on the TV

Question 2
AmazonBasic 2.0 HDMI cable(came in different sizes)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasi...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1516023126&sr=1-1&keywords=HDMI

Edit: about cashback from JL (£500 cashback on 55E7). you have to claim it. making your TV £1829 :)
Home - LG Offers
Thanks for your reply Mackan1. I'm not putting this one on the wall, it will sit on top of the TV unit that my wife has said were are DEFINITELY NOT changing!!!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for your reply Mackan1. I'm not putting this one on the wall, it will sit on top of the TV unit that my wife has said were are DEFINITELY NOT changing!!!

what ever HDMI cable you get make sure it is 2.0 / supports 4k (if u want to watch 4k through your HDMI cable) :) do not be fooled by the price of ones being £80 where a £5 cable does the same job

what ever HDMI cable you get make sure it is 2.0 / supports 4k (if u want to watch 4k through your HDMI cable) :) do not be fooled by the price of ones being £80 where a £5 cable does the same job

That is something that I really have learned from here - price doesn’t guarantee quality. Also I’ve been told to look at the speed rating for the cable. I wondered if the standard cable that comes with the Sky Q box is 4K rated?

Dave.

HDMI 2.0 (4K Video at 60 Hz, 2160p, 48 bit/px color depth) that supports bandwidth up to 18Gbps and backwards compatible with earlier versions.

HDMI 2.1, supports 4K, 8k, 10k HDR (Dolby Vision and HDR 10), transfer speeds of up to 48Gbps. Optimal viewing experience for Apple TV 4K and also compatible with any other HDMI-enabled device

I believe the LG TV only has HDMI 2.0 ports, not sure about 2018 TV tho.
I also believe the HDMI 2.1 is backward compatible with 2.0

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable.

There are only two different kinds of HDMI cables specified by the Industry: High Speed and Standard.

If you own an HDMI cable, chances are, it is a High Speed, 18Gb/s cable. These cables have been in production since 2006. If you have bought an HDMI cable within the last 10 years, it is likely High Speed but this is normally printed somewhere on the cable.

I beg to differ

jj1s28.jpg

Mackan1 - the table you have posted might give you that impression but it's actually referring to the version of hdmi in the hardware as opposed to the cable. Premium cables are the ones to purchase to guarantee 4K at 60Hz, although many other hdmi cables not certified as such will also do a fine job. The Amazon basics cables are fine for basic and high end equipment and widely recommended on the forums. Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:
As @giggsy1950 stated, These are the different hdmi standards, not the cables.

High speed hdmi cables is a standard and can carry 18gbps of data. their job is to pass data and that is it. the hdmi standard refers to what devices are at the end of each cable.

the picture below explains what a hdmi cable can carry. I am using hdmi cables from 2011 that happily pass through 4k @60hz as they are high speed cables, not hdmi 2.

HDMI 2.1 is capable of 48gbps, we will need new cables as the bandwidth limitations of 18gbps cables now will become an issue.

Speed_Badge_Pipe._V195190847_.jpg

Hi get amazon basics hdmi cables they are faultless and high speed I have them on my E7 and they work perfect and bend easily so they aren’t in veiw at the side where the inputs are you won’t see them.They work with my sky and PS4 Pro and Xbox one x and are about £4 and I’ve foolishly spent up to £100 on hdmi cables but won’t again as it’s just a waste of money and amazon basics are 4K 18gbps and 60fps they are full fat high speed cables so give them a go you won’t be disappointed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom