1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Pre Ordered My X Box Any Cables to get?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Stewart C, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK.

I have pre ordered my X Box and need to know if I should buy any cables before I get my machine.

I think the machine comes with a stadard composite lead, but I want either S-Video or RGB. Probably S-Video as my DVD is in the RGB Socket. God I wish my TV had multiple RGB Inputs, without having to buy a connection from Lektropaks etc.

Cheers

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I'm about to get an import one and am going to try the HiDef lead set, then transcode it to RGB and feed direct to my projector.

I can't find anyone who can tell me if the US games will be playable on UK unit, whether they will be slowed down to 50Hz (guess they will) or whether UK ones will have the HiDef option disabled...so it has to be US for me.

Gordon

3. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh

X Box in Hi Definition Lush. The US Box is compatible with Hi-Def. When something says compatible I am always suspicious. I would rather it said..."It outputs in Hi Def if you want it" Maybe it does.

I will wait until the 14 March to source my X-box unless Gordon you know somewhere just as good to get it from just now ??

If I get the UK one, the machine will be Region 2 by default which is fine by me as I have got three other DVD players (one PC) that has multi region capability. Also the power and transformer issue is not a problem.

It should be easier therefore to conver to UK RGB and S-Video.

Cheers

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a teensy weensy word of warning. For some reason (hopefully Gordon has the answer) my US XBOX will not output colour through the S-video lead. It happens on my Sony and Philips TV's and both are multi standard. I'm not too bothered at the moment as ideally I'd like to squirt the signal through RGB scart, hopefully a third party lead will materialise soon. The standard AV lead produces a fairly decent picture nonetheless.

Gordons world is likely to be turned upside down with his proposed Hi-Def setup. I hope he doesn't blow his mind too soon as I need some calibration work carrying out on my 11HT.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    the xbox is looking pretty good for tweaking so far.
    check out the forums on www.xboxhacker.net there is all kinds of exciting stuff being said.

NTSC xbox will play Pal dvd's (although region hack still being worked on)
    not that exciting in itself i know, but when you combine that with posts futher down which says the machine has the ability to scale dvd to 720p and 1080i it starts to sound a little better :)

what i would like to know is whether there is any macro on the progressive out whilst playing games ??
    as my projector doesnt like it.
    I am hoping there isnt and this is the reason that progressive scan was disabled in the dvd playback.

ah well this could be the system for those who like to fiddle :)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I know the US box does output at 720p,480p or 1080i. I have a scaler at home that'll turn the 480i signal up to what's required by projector anyway. What I want is to see if there is any tangible benefit from getting the straight native feed from the box (presuming some of the games have been coded in one of these higher resolutions to start with...)

It's the UK box that I can't get this info on.

US Box will only play DVD's at 480i unless hacked I'd think. Even then 720P with the appropriate type of de-interlacing algorithm is just going to create more artefacts....I think you may still want a decent DVD and scaler or HTPC for this....

Gordon

7. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox features a Conexant video encoder chip that supports the following TV output resolutions: 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i.

However current Xbox games, are rendered internally at 640 x 480 and sent to the Conexant Chip which either interlaces the frames or leaves the full resolution lines intact.

Gordon is correct in saying that the US Box will only play DVD's at 480i, This isn't because of a hardware limitation rather that it does not support Macrovision in 480p mode (so could be hacked by the experts at Datel who made the Region X for PS2)

With regards to the UK being able to support HDTV, I am not sure, the Official Xbox Magazine states that the UK Xbox can output HDTV signals, but a quick check on the Official MS UK Pre-order Site is only showing a Microsoft Standard Scart Pack and a Advanced Scart Pack (I think this just adds optical digital audio output).
    Saitek also have a S-Video Cable for the UK Xbox, but even this is still interlaced.

So no mention of the High Definition AV Pack!!!

I think I read somewhere that the PAL Group has made it illegal to bring HDTV into the UK, but I am not sure if this is true (I hope not).

Anne

P'S I keep changing my mind, first I was going to order a US Xbox, then I was going to wait for UK Xbox, now I might order the US one again!!!

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I wouldnt use a games console for playing films, but the point I was getting at, is, this machine looks like it could be the tweakers dream.

Also its nice to hear that it's because there is no macrovision on the machine, saves me having to upgrade my projector just yet.

I ordered one today , i personally always buy NTSC machines, i dont like the sloppy conversions on SOME Pal games, also by the time a title comes out on PAL you can usually get it very cheap used on import.
    the only PAL machine i have ever owned is my PS2 which was a big mistake, I'm not too fussed because i put a Neo4 in it, but, games like MGS 2 and Final Fantasy X , I would like to play now.
    MGS 2 is already availible used for $30 , £26 shipped.

so annefromuk I would always recommend buying an imported machine.

9. thestorm

thestorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  10. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I have a US Xbox and lovin' it. I use the Hi-Def pack for component but am waiting on a PS projector. My understanding is that the games will be written for PS and at present the only game out that is is Dead or Alive 3 (would love to see it).
    Would there be any reason why a UK machine wont accept the US AV packs..?? Don;t think so as the hardware is identical, which is almost proven as the US Xbox does handle a PAL DVD (reg 0)..

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I've asked this question of one of our members who is an XBOX development team member. He doesn't think that HiDef out will be supported by euro XBOX but is going to check specs. That's why I'm buying a US one.....

Gordon

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might be interested in the Dixons advert for the UK XBOX that appeared in The Sun on Thursday 17th January. Amongst the technical specs detailed in the ad it also stated that the machine would be 'Broadband enabled' and have 'HDTV support in games'. Quite how the HDTV support will be implemented in the absence of available compliant hardware is anyones guess but it could be that Microsoft are duplicating the US hardware to avoid additional tooling costs. They could simply be modifying the power supply for 240V and fitting a PAL tuner.

Unless The Sun has received dodgy copy from Dixons I find it hard to explain it any other way. Rather than clarify the situation it apears to deepen the mystery and add confusion.

13. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The first edition of the UK Official Xbox Magazine had the specs for the Xbox, one of the UK Xbox features mentioned is 'HDTV' Support.

The US Xbox has a Conexant video encoder chip, the input resolution and the resolution outputted to your TV don't have to be the same, currently all games are 480p, this is then either interlaced to 480i, left at 480p or scaled to 720p.

Even though the UK does not officialy support HDTV, there is rumours that TV Manufacturers are going to make 720P a standard (just like the DVD companies did when they introduced PAL-60) so I believe that as MS wan't the Xbox to be sold for a long while yet, they would be wise to have HDTV support in the UK Xbox.

Anne

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anne,

You make a fair point but there's just one slight problem. If Microsoft are investing in the future and have an eye on the possibility of HDTV in the UK (and the rest of Europe for that matter), do they really think buyers of the XBOX would invest in a new TV if and when they became available?

PJ owners will likely be the ones that benefit most as there are many that already accept Hi-Def and progressive video. But the bread and butter buyer is unlikely to invest a couple of thousand pounds in a new telly just so they can play DOA3 in Hi-Def!

I would ask which is the more likely, Bill Gates providing Hi-Def capabilities for the European market 'cos he's a great guy, or Bill Gates giving us a feature we are unlikely to use because it would cost too much to retool?

As an XBOX owner I fear you may be giving him a little too much credit, he is after all a businessman, and a very rich and successful one at that.

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Latest from Microsoft develpoer guy is that HiDef is probably not going to be supported on UK box. It's the same hardware though. They expect most users to be using portable TV's in Europe I think.

I also think it EXTREMELY unlikely that tv manufacturers are going to make 720P capable direct view TV sets for Europe, at additional expense, just so we can play some games....or plug our PC's in to them....May be in 2 or 3 years they might start working on it but the XBOX will be XBOX2 by then....

Gordon

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Gordon,

I'll give my brother a call to see if he knows, he works for an Italian outfit who are working on a GT3 clone for the XBOX.

Jeff

17. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    OK, I checked with my bro, he expects the HD format to be supported on the euro models. He also said that PAL60 is supported. There are a couple of thing to bare in mind, firstly the boxes that they use are debug boxes that are different to the retail versions and secondly it is possible that HD support is simply disabled on the euro retail version by not giving you the option to set it. It also looks like the HD cable adapter will not be sold in the UK. He also confirmed that US games will not work on euro Xboxes.

Jeff

18. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Jeff: I know that the coding of the games is such that Microsoft are very confident that no-one will be able to hack the box to play games of different regions. DVD's maybe but games...no.

I presumed that they just wouldn't give option of hidef out with rgb cable. I'm getting one to try with my US box to see what happens. We can try the other way around with US hIdEF Pack on UK box in MARCH I guess.

Hope to have it all running sometime next week. Busy re-painting my lounge to get increased picture quality in preparation....

Gordon..covered in dark red paint...

19. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Has this got any further did anyone confirm that the HDTV pack works with the a UK xbox

20. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ...and to also ask as Stewart, what leads do you need? I'm after an S Video output to switch through my amp, PAL box. Cheers. Couldn't find the link on their site to read the manual.

Don't you just love price wars.:D

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought this was an old thread or something o_O Anyways I'm sure the advanced pack does work on a European Xbox... Joytech are selling the advanced pack for £15 (component cables for prog.scan and optical out). As for import gaming and multi-region DVD playback... All can be done via a mod chip but such data has been around for some time...

As for S-Video leads there are loads about. Check out GAME, Gamestation, PC World or Dixons. Same applies for the Joytech advanced pack.

22. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, just stumbled on this thread and thought i would share my experience. I brought the xbox hi-def pack in Canada while on holiday there and tried it on my uk xbox connected to my Panasonic pt-lc75e projector via a vga BNC breakout cable. However the projector reports it is recieving component video at 625i or 720 x 576 pixels interlaced. An option appeared in the xbox video menu for 480 progressive but it does not appear to change anything.

Now here's the really wierd thing. The projector picture settings include a tint control which is usually greyed out while inputting PAL via s-video but using the component lead allows the tint to be adjusted as if the projector is recieving an NTSC signal.

As to the picture, on games it looks the same as you would get using s-video while on DVDs you get stange faint green vertical bands superimposed on the picture, very strange:confused:

I just wonder if there is some PAL to NTSC conversion going on in the component lead.

In conclusion I think the hi-def pack in incompatible with a UK xbox, at least one which has not been twecked in some way. It seams the only way to get really high quality video from my UK xbox to the projector is if someone comes up a decient VGA adaptor and I don't mean that dodgy £40 thing some mail order computer suppliers are selling.:mad:

Bring on the Hackers...:D

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    the other way to do it is stick a chip in the machine and run "video mode selct" disc. With this you can set your xbox to be a PAL or NTSC machine.
    If in NTSC you loose the Pal 60Hz option from the dash but gain the progressive function.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.digital-x.de sell a "proper" VGA lead for PAL X Box's (not the converted crap in the £40 versions) I was tempted but am waiting to see what mods come out first as this lead doesn't output a widescreen image apparently.

I have the Joyteck component lead on my UK machine and am quite pleased with it at the moment.