1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just plugged in my laserdisc player!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Boy Lex, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just dug out the ld player and plugged it into my barco 701s (via the iscan pro)... I'm sure the barco just got quieter! :D

Well it's not dvd, but it has a certain charm to it! Anyone still using these things regularly? Too sentimental to get rid of it!

2. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Lex they might be worth some money in a few years - your like me and can't get rid of stuff that you've cherished. Never had one myself - probably good to have for the ld original (non special edition) Star Wars trilogy I think they did if you're into that sorta thing. You got it by any chance - the trilogy? Now I'm sure they will appreciate in value!

Si

P.S. You got the blue tube sorted in the end? Is it still holding up?

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    blue tube still going... curt reckons it might have been a fluke that the chip on the neck board went... fingers crossed!

yeah i saw the original star wars on ebay a while ago going for a fair bit... unfortunately I've only got the special edition laserdiscs.

i bought star trek on laserdisc (the movie boxset) on ebay for £25 and then my brother bought me the dvd box set for christmas... I put the lds back on ebay and sold them for £150! I guess that goes some of the way towards all the duff stuff I've bought through ebay over the years!!!

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    I saw some Laswerdiscs on James' Marquee on Sunday, and couldn't believe how good it looked - much better than the SWs disks I'd seen it on my CRT tv or digital pj. The Crystalio may have had something to do with it but even so, it looked as good as DVD.

Gary.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I still use LD :) Quite allot actually, I have even bought two players in the last month alone!! I was watching Stargate DTS last night, and I must say picture was VERY good and sound excellent. I am still a fan.

6. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I haven't used mine in ages,I think I'd best connect it up and give it another look.
    Nick-I presume you use your HD Leeza for scaling.I have mine set up to 1440x960 for R1 DVD what would you suggest for NTSC laserdiscs?
    Kevin

7. crteaman

crteaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If anyone is interested have a look at the wanted to buy section, under Iscolman pioneer X9/russ andrews etc there is a smidge of info on laser there.

Gary glad you enjoyed it, for those interested we played dts laser, followed by muse hi-def discs and the 'crowning piece' of the day Sony broadband un compressed (around 7 minutes on a disc).

The key to a good result is the laserdisc player, the 925 was a fair Pal player, but the ntsc discs are heaps better.

James

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Baggy

I just use 720p or 768p as it is a projector thing. Seemed fine to me!! On the KD.... but I have an eye on a repacement.....:)

OT
    The DV29 SDI is greatby the way, it has displaced my beloved 963 SDI. I don't think it is technically as good re MPEG decoder but the picture I prefer to watch (more 3D) and the sound is much, MUCH better. It is black as well :) This should take nothing away from the 963 SDI which I still think is AWESOME (and cheap to boot).

9. Baggy

Baggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi Nic,
    Somehow I thought you might have an eye on the new generation.
    I'll have to make do for now.

I'll try 720p for LD's.

Good to hear the DV29's good.

Kevin

10. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Boy Lex,
    Where in Leeds are you? I'm in Horsforth. :)

11. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    ahhh laserdisc, i loved mine, great talking point when you showed someone the disc, fairy hard to get movies though, i still have a soft spot for them
    rob :D

12. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Horsforth eh? That'll be where I work! Lister Hill to be exact! I live over towards Adel.

Was chatting to a guy today who has done some digital remastering we figured that if they could have held a seperate coloour signal instead of a composite signal, they might have held on for a bit longer!

13. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I don't believe it Boy Lex.
    I live about 100 yards away from your work.
    You'll have to come around and have a butchers at my Barco. All being well if Chris Frost is available it should be getting installed in a couple of weeks.

14. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes please!!! That sounds like a good idea! Wouldn't mind popping over while it's being installed either if there's room for a third wheel - will be shamelessly taking notes!

15. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Your more than welcome mate. You can help us lift the bloody thing :rotfl: ha ha.
    I'll have my notebook out too as this is my first dip into the CRT world so i am really looking forward to it.

What PJ do you run?

16. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More than happy to if you can return the favour when mine goes up (any month now!!!). I'm currently running a barco 701s, but there is a seleco 350 and a 350+ floating towards ebay at the moment. The 350+ is in really good shape at the moment... just have to get round to doing the pics so I can get it off my living room floor!

17. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My Pioneer 925 still has it's place in my rack. We still watch the odd film on it if we don't have them on DVD. You're right about the discs themselves having a certain futuristic wow factor to them.

I have two versions of Star Wars on LD. The last individual "restored" pre-SE versions and the CAV Definitive Editions.

I don't have the SE versions at all on any format as they bothered me.

18. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still use LD very much. Mainly because I have over 1000 LD's and many movies not out on DVD. Other times the LD have better sound or better image than the DVD version. Just yesterday I was watching a great little b-action movies, Never Say Die (not out on DVD) and the image was amazingly good for a b-movie released on LD 10 years ago. The picture out my HLD-X0 is so noise free I could foul a lot of people this is DVD.

The biggest problem with LD is that it cost to get the most out of the format. A HLD-X9/HLD-X0 + a good scaler/video processor are not cheap, but if one wants the best, there is only one way to go. I have VERY high hopes for the Crystalio II and it's BNC composite input that will have a 5-line 3d motion adaptive filter that will probably make the X0 (and X9) shine even more!

Here is a picture of some of mine stuff:
    [​IMG]

Yes, I have both 2 HLD-X9 and 2 HLD-X0 (and a CLD-315, R7G)

19. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    NIN,
    Could you please comment on the R7G,
    What is the image like?

How far behind is it compared to the X9/X0?

Appreciate any coments
    Cheers
    Steve

20. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve!

I wish I could answer your question but I can't. The reason why is that I have not seen it myself :rolleyes:
    I bought this almost a year ago from a guy here in Sweden. But I wanted to pick it up in person, not riskig anything in the shipping and the town he live in I visit on a regular basis. But it got complicated and now he live in Japan for some time and the player are at his old girlfriend :rolleyes:

But I hope to get it rather soon because I want it in my test I'm planing to do. But from what I have understand the player is almost like a LD-S9 with a little less smearing effect. So it's a good player but it's well under the Xx players.

/Mattias

21. Swiss-Steve

Swiss-Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Mattias
    Thanks,
    I look forward to hearing what you think of it when you finally get your hands on it.

Cheers
    Steve