Just picked up a new Sharp LC-37XD1E - Impressions/Questions

Naim.F.C

Established Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Upon further tweaking, testing and use of this LCD TV I can confirm it does NOT have banding issues. The problems lay in how well it would mix colour gradients but thankfully with a little tweaking I think I've solved the issue. Go through the thread for numerous pics as proof.

Firstly, I must say, the styling on this thing is grand. Much more luxurious then some of the other LCD manufacture designs, what with the glossy piano black. My house mates all said they preferred the design to my Bravia. Also, I am really very impressed with the picture quality.
The SD is the best I've ever seen from an LCD, much better and cleaner then from my Bravia 32" KDL-32S2030. At times, if you get a good freeview reception, from the distance I watch it, it can look 'upscaled DVD' quality! The image is incredibly Sharp and very clean. Colours are nice, though not as vibrant as the Bravia's, however that is met by stunning white's and blacks. The black levels on this thing are the best I've seen. Especially with the 'Black' feature On.

Negatives are that the viewing angles are pretty damn poor. Much worse then my Bravia, you move out of perfect viewing and you get fairly noticeable colour differences, the image still looks very clear, just not accurate (colour/contrast wise). Another big negative for me was that the TV does not accept 1080p via VGA or Component, very annoying as I cannot run my 360 in 1080p, not that 720p or 1080i looks bad :p I haven't tried DVI-HDMI with PC yet, though I've heard you can get 1080p this way. (better be the case or this set is going back!). Also. why is it the Component and VGA image options are so dulled down? When connected via VGA you get none of the TruD options, nor do you when using component. This annoyed me greatly.

Anyway, some pics: (taken with mobile phone, so not the best quality)

SD pics: (digital freeview)

hd3mf0.jpg

hd4li5.jpg

hd1oi4.jpg

hd2jy7.jpg

Xbox 360 pics. (ignore the note, I took these pics to prove I had a 360 on another forum).

dsc02440zq2.jpg

dsc02433ht3.jpg

dsc02410xm8.jpg

Banding.

Now the reason I made the thread. To discuss banding. I think, this LCD suffers from slight banding. I very rarely notice it, but there definitely is some, just not enough to significantly bother me. What I'm interested to know is, if the banding is only subject to the VGA and component connections. The VGA playback on this LCD is poor, when connecting my 360 via VGA, colours looked considerably more washed out then with Component.

Also, is banding where different gradients don't mix well? To my knowledge most monitors and LCD's get a tiny bit of banding. My Dell 2407FW manages them very well, for example whilst posting this the blacks mix with the purple really well, not so well on my 37XD1E. Do you guys have any programmes, sites, images etc that I could test banding with?

Here are some examples.

Notice the top orange bar. Banding?

1lu3.jpg

2xj1.jpg

3rq5.jpg

4ed7.jpg

6ta1.jpg

[image=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7035/5ab0.jpg]

Whilst conencted to VGA was when I saw the worst banding. Though it isn't so clear in the photo's it is more evident in real life. I wonder if this has anything to do with max resolution being 1280x(?) and having to be stretched to fit the screen? I shall have to test DVI-HDMI later today I suspect.

7xj0.jpg

8ny3.jpg

Anyway, your own views, thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
Am I being overly nit-picky perhaps?

Thanks
Naim

Any reason you're camera was abit wonky, I think I've done my neck in. ;)

Seriously, what type of signal did yoy pass via VGA and component, TruD is only supposed to work with SD, interlaced signals only.

Excellent, Thanks! I can see very little banding from those pictures, but banding had nothing to do with colours not mixing, it's to do withg the backlight.

Any reason you're camera was abit wonky, I think I've done my neck in. ;)

Seriously, what type of signal did yoy pass via VGA and component, TruD is only supposed to work with SD, interlaced signals only.

Ahh I see.
No I don't have TruD on VGA. Just on SD.
Sorry for the wonky pics, it's a large screen and hard to get everything in a frame :p

Excellent, Thanks! I can see very little banding from those pictures, but banding had nothing to do with colours not mixing, it's to do withg the backlight.

I see, so what exactly is banding and where have you noticed it?

Looks very nive, but I cant beleive that even the 37" is showing signs of banding.

What the hell is going on with these new panels ??? Sharp have been making LCD's for years and years, its not like they dont know what they are doing.

Looks very nive, but I cant beleive that even the 37" is showing signs of banding.

What the hell is going on with these new panels ??? Sharp have been making LCD's for years and years, its not like they dont know what they are doing.

I must stress.
I have seen no banding issues during DVD playback or watching SD freeview.
So I'm very curious at to what's causing it.

It seems to be most noticeable whilst in a VGA connection.

By the way, why is this forum displaying posts the wrong way round?
Bottom to top. How do I change this?

It shouldn't be like that/ Try going 'My Settings' > 'Edit Options' > 'Thread Display Mode' > 'Linear - Oldest First'

can anyone give me a link,to buy the correct dual dvi-d or dual dvi-i to hdmi cable that supports 1080p signal.

I have the 7900gtx dual dvi card.I am not sure if i need dual dvi-d or dual dvi-i,im looking for a lead for at least 7 metres,any help with this would be great

can anyone give me a link,to buy the correct dual dvi-d or dual dvi-i to hdmi cable that supports 1080p signal.

I have the 7900gtx dual dvi card.I am not sure if i need dual dvi-d or dual dvi-i,im looking for a lead for at least 7 metres,any help with this would be great

All you need is a DVI-HDMI cable.
That will do just fine.

Your GPU has DUAL DVI, meaning you can have one DVI go straight to your PC and the other to a HDMI on your TV.

Just go to your nearest TV selling store, they'll stock DVI-HDMI cables.
Dont buy an excessively expensive one, because it's a digital connection, a better quality cable wont really improve image quality.

Naim ,I'm getting this lcd next week where did you get yours and how much did you pay!!Aren't xbox 360 bringing out a hdmi cable so you will be able to play in 1080p!! :confused:

This is my first lcd is it a good first screen to get? I mainly want it for dvd's, sky and my 360 wont be connecting to a pc i don't think!!

Naim ,I'm getting this lcd next week where did you get yours and how much did you pay!!Aren't xbox 360 bringing out a hdmi cable so you will be able to play in 1080p!! :confused:

This is my first lcd is it a good first screen to get? I mainly want it for dvd's, sky and my 360 wont be connecting to a pc i don't think!!

I paid £1100 from a store in London :D
Bargain basements.

Very happy with the set!

Any updates on the Sharp ?

Are you still impressed ?

Any problems ?

I have just returned my Sony W2000 due to bad light bleed, should I buy this Sharp ??

Soo annoying, would love to give you a review but just because it was 0% I went with finance and now taking an age!!! would cancel and pay by card but price when up by £100!!! Hopefully here end of next week.

I am still very happy with my 37XD1E. Yesterday I tested with my pc and found no pixel problems. Actually until today nobody reported pixel problems.
The viewing angle is the only negative I can say about it but can live with it as the rest is very nice.

Surprised me most that sd was so good and I preferred it above my philips 32 matchline.

picture of SD quality:

http://server4.pictiger.com/img/769627/movies-and-television/img-2327.php

taking from 1 m.!!! distance during daytime. double click to fill the screen.

If the viewing angle was better it was perfect now 8.5 out of 10.

So can anybody confirm that 37" XD1E is the same tv as 37" GE1E.
What about the fans in XD1E, is there 1 or 2 fans. Do they make any noise?
Also have you tested for the posterization issues described by andrew fee on the GE1E?

Pretty sure the XD1 don't have any fans :confused: it's not a plasma.

Any updates on the Sharp ?

Are you still impressed ?

Any problems ?

I have just returned my Sony W2000 due to bad light bleed, should I buy this Sharp ??

My Sony 40W went back yesterday due to the backlight. I've been to look at the 42" Sharp today and I must say it looked fantastic 1080i hard drive feed but a fantastic picture. I may buy :smashin:

By the way any comments on backlight bleed etc. I've had enough of that with the Sony

My Sony 40W went back yesterday due to the backlight. I've been to look at the 42" Sharp today and I must say it looked fantastic 1080i hard drive feed but a fantastic picture. I may buy :smashin:

By the way any comments on backlight bleed etc. I've had enough of that with the Sony

Just to point out that the 42" uses a different panel than the 37" to you and doesn't have some of the features the 37" has (like the 4 wave backlight)... not saying its bad as a lot of people are saying they like their 42" but a review of the 37" won't be right to buy a 42"...

I've ordered the 37" last week and waiting for it to arrive is killing me... there like gold dust... thanks for the pics... you've increased my excitement levels :smashin:

This tv is a potential buy for me. Only big problem seems to be the problems that we can se in the first post's pictures where the black and purple color dont work verry well togheter. Can this be a firmware problem or is it something with the hardware to do? The black color looks really good, but how good are the details? Does it kill all the details like many other tv does? (like phillips 37" eisa winner of 2006-2007, high end, I think the modell name is pf9710)

BTW, this is my first post at this forum:clap:

Not very good pictures, can you show up pure white, grey, red, green and blue screens? That'll show the banding up more than games/xbox screens which are multi-coloured so hide the banding.

Does it kill all the details like many other tv does? (like phillips 37" eisa winner of 2006-2007, high end, I think the modell name is pf9710)
You mean the 9731?It was EISA winner 2006-2007. I think the 9731 has excellent detail personally.

In fact, I'd love to know how the Sharp compares with the Philips. I was tremendously impressed by the Philips SD picture

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom