1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just out of curiousity

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Apr 19, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For music what do you guys think is better either

1) Floorstanders or

2) Floorstanders and sub or

3) Standmounts and Sub.

Thanks again to any that reply.

2. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    I know naathing. But I'm waiting for the oven to finish its work, so here we go:
    What's your budget?
    At the lower end, I think you'll get more from standmounts than floorstanders.
    And again, depending on budget, a decent sub that can integrate well would be a bonus - but if you've only got a few hundred notes, maybe option 4) - just standmounts.

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now concidering it about £800 for speakers and about £500 for a sub

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    For home cinema ... you will always get better results with a sub (weather or not you have floorstanders), for music a lot of people prefer good gloorstanders and no sub.

You can't generalise about which is better, a floor stander or stand mount. If you are working to a budget ... £300 standmounts + stand will probably be better speakers than £400 floorstanders.

At £800 though you could buy a pair of B&W CDM1 NT + reasonable stands, or you could buy a pair of 604s3. Both are good speakers, now which in the end is better will depend on your environment and (to a large extent) your own preferences when listening to music.

Go and demo both.

Vikki

PS. this is an example - I've not listened to the CDM1NT and DM604s3 side by side so not making a definitive recomendation.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Vikki's given you some great advice there,esp relating to the B&W CDM's...these arent as good as the Nautilus models,but get quite close in some respects.
    There are certainly very few floorstanders that can usefully be said to be full range,and capable of working in an HC environment without a sub,and those that can are usually somewhat expensive(I used to have a set of triamped Linn Keltiks which went well below the reach of most so called subs,but cost £6k minus the amps).
    Also be VERY careful in your choice of subs and be sure to listen to both sub and speaker in your own room.

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice so far. Ive been researching those DM604 S3. They sound like cracking speakers and from what i can gather im not really going to need a sub with them either (BTW im buying the speakers for my music setup)so i can save on costs. Fortunatley i have the space to accomodate them:).
    I guess floorstanders are going to be the way for me because i have very little in the way of wooden furniture in the room im setting up in so standmounts would sound lost unless i get a good sub, which amases to more cash in the long run.
    Due to unfotunatley having limited time is there anything similar to the DM604 S3 that i could also demo besides the wharfdale evos 30 cause my local hifi shops stop stocking wharfdale products and i will have to demo everything in one sitting.
    Again thanks for all the advise it helps greatly.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Maybe KEF Q7, Mission M53, Ruark Prelude II, Castle Stirling III or Monitor Audio S8. No recomendations - just others in similar price range with reasonable reputations.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I always like to be a bit different, but my feeling, certainly for musical purposes, is that any way good speakers need a very good sub to make the most....... certainly when i went down the standmount sub route i went 50/50 on speakers and sub.... i found that lesser subs just didnt seem in place with the accurate speakers

ad

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    At the quoted price range i would still opt for standmounters personally.

This is putting my neck on the line here (and you KNOW i have nothing against B+W or any other manufacturer for that matter) BUT...... I would be most confident in getting a pair of 500.00 standmounters (to my liking) and a 350.00 Rel Quake to perform (in 2 channel stereo) in a far more pleasing manner than the B+W 604 floorstanders.

There i have said it now - bring it on.

Regards

Steve.

10. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BLACK_MAGIC do you have an amp/CD Player to go with that yet?

If I were you with that budget I'd spend good money on some floorstanders, not bother with a sub and use the money you save towards a better amplifier/CD player than the ones you plan to get, if you've not got them already. IMO you only need the really low stuff for special FX in films. Having listened to a pair of Mission M53's, good floorstanders can go low enough for music to the point where you can really feel the bass as it kicks in (Thriller - M.Jackson), class stuff!! :smashin:

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would only get floorstanders for music in bigger rooms,say at least 6M x 6M or more. Using standmounts without a subwoofer in large rooms lack low end.

Ruark speakers sound better than B&W, as a owner of both I can make a comment that the B&W's are good for a demo, but are too aggressive and harsh to live with (a recent poster here said negative comments about them)

Checkout the Etudes and Preluse II & Prologue II.

JM Labs are much better speakers than B&W.

12. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeh i got the arcam a85 and p85 intergrated amp and power amp and i got the meridian 507 cd player so i dont want to spend any more in that department for a while. I already over stretched that budget:)

13. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok my room is atleast 6m x 5m and i have very little wooden furniture in the room. Ill have a look at the speakers youve mentioned to thanks:)

14. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If you've got A85 + P85 ... matching speakers would be more in the £1000+ mark ... for floorstanders B&W CDM7NT / KEF XQ / etc or something like the B&W N805 for stand mounts.

Disagree with nathan (there again I often do) over "floorstander only in large room" ... I think the right floorstands can work well in medium sized upwards ... just not small rooms. Also I would very much say that Ruark are DIFFERENT to B&W not better than ... (and yes I own and like B&W speakers).

Vikki

15. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok ill step up a level and try and get my local hifi shop to get in the cdm 7nt and the cdm 9nt to audition. I didnt realise that amp setup that i have required such expensive speakers to match it. I guess thats what you get for not knowing your stuff:). I guess the silver aniversary speaker cables that i use are gonna need upgrading aswell.

16. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Well the Amp setup you have is (RRP) around £1300 ... and most people recomend you spend at least as much on the speakers as the amp. Your CD player isn't a slouch either.

As for the speaker cable ... try the Silver Anniversary and something "higher" end, and see if you notice any difference before buying.

Vikki

17. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok will do as always youve been very helpful thanks.