1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just orderered my 433mxe!!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by churchwa, Nov 9, 2002.

1. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Getting 2, one for me and one for my sisters boyfriend.
    Plus 1 wall mount (for me) and a Table top and side speakers for him.

I have also just ordered a component cable for my Gamecube, now all i need is a DVD player with Progressive PAL/NTSC without the chroma bug. (an impossibility i think)

Got a great price on the plasma as well ;)

Can anyone suggest any setting that might need changing when i recieve the screen?

2. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what price and where from? did you get a good price because you bought two? :D

Bring the colour setting down a few notches. Go through one of the THX optimode setups you get on starwars and toystory.

have fun!

3. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got them for £3500 each inc vat. (And i get Vat off, so about £2980) Not bad really. I felt a bit bad because Kim is not making any money onem really, I am lead to believe that it is almost cost price. I know one of the guys who installes his home cinema stuff so he hooked me up. Great place though www.plasmas-direct.co.uk

Where is the THX setup on Star Wars Episode 1??

4. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    couldn't find the 433mxe on this site.

i also got for 3500 inc vat - i believe that is cost. make sure you get the 5002 graphics card included!

5. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do get the graphics card, i made sure of that. It is all direct from Pioneer (who are currently low on stock due to demand)

I did say to him that it was not on the site and he said he would change it. I think that his normal price is around £3850 for the screen. He is just a great guy to do business with.

6. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    churchwa, what made you chose a pioneer instead of a panasonic?

What do you make of the black levels of the pioneer?

7. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They seemed great, the internal workings of the MXE is much better than the HDE. It also accepts PAL progressive scan which is a bonus and is considrably cheaper and the Pani.

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But which did you prefer picture quality wise? Did you see them side by side, with the same connections andthe same material?

The Pioneer black levels don´t seem to be that good from what I´ve read, and also read some complaints about picture noise, but you are getting an extra inch of picture:).

The Panasonics also accept Pal progressive I think, if they don´t out of the box then there is some remote hack which can be done.

9. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did get to see them side by side but not with the same film (some setup in a shop) in fact the Pio was an HDE not an MXE. There was very little between the two of them. I have to say though, the option of being able to upgrade the board at the back of the Pio and the connections it game me swung it. After all we are talking about, without question, two of the finest plasma's on the market. They make everything else seem poor, so whichever one you end up going for i am sure you will be very happy.

PS, the other main factor was the higher resolution of the screen its self. The pio thus accepts ture HDTV signals etc. I will be using my computer with it.

10. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive seen them both with the same source and film , the pioneer looked a lot better imo, much better colours and detail , plus no buzzing , an inch bigger , higher resoulution and its upgradable , and the black levels are fine . It wins hands down .

11. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Many people here on the boards seem to prefer the Pio over the Panasonic. But most if not all the reviews seem to prefer the Panasonic and the specs on them seem much better, very strange?

A few things I´m concerned with on the Pio.

1. Has noone got a problem with the blacklevels. I saw an old model and the blacks seemed grey?

2. Since the contrast of the Pioneer is nowhere near as good as on the Panasonic, then they won´t last as long will they. I mean the only reason that plasmas don´t last forever is because the contrast drops, and so the Panasonic will be tolerable for longer won´t it?

3. Does the Pioneer have the orbiter/wobble mode.. seems a brilliant thing, to have the picture move, but in small enough steps so you don´t really notice?

4. I´ve read the the Pioneer sems to have a green hue on things, especially on the displays corners??

5. Is the Pioneer single or dual scan... does it flicker like the 5 Panasonics?

When are Pioneer planing on uppgrading their lineup.. they seem to do that much less frequently than others.

12. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Got my Pioneer 433MXEV for £3599.95

Being delibvered on ether tues eve or thurs eve , more due to a convianant time as much as anyhitng

13. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 433 mxe is a new model
    No flicker
    It has the orbiter mode , switched mine on as soon as it came
    Dont know about the dual/single scan , Joe will know
    No green hue , ive also read this and put mine onto full mask as soon as it came to check it , also not one dead pixel.
    A couple of reports ive read is that the panasonics contrast level is know where near the 3000:1 claimed , it tested out at about 900:1.

14. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Churchwa - congrats. You'll find some discussion of the power control mode on avsforum (Standard vs. Mode1 vs. Mode2). Not much between Standard and Mode1, but Mode2 is too dark for most. Have a play and see what you like - personal preference really, I haven't changed much from factory standard - or you could get it callibrated with the money you saved!

Keyser,

Maybe you should book a flight to the UK (or is the US even cheaper from Iceland?) and check some plasmas out 1st hand - It doesn't sound like you're going to be able to make your mind up without seeing them side-by-side.

1. Blacklevels - personal preference. Yes the Pioneer is worse than the Panny. But its still not a problem for many.

2. I don't believe the rated contrast ratio will have any significant effect on plasma life, but I could be wrong. Its not a factor I have ever worried about.

3. Yes, the Pioneer does have an orbit mode that shifts the picture a little every so often.

4. No problems with green tinges on mine - white looks pure across the whole panel.

5. No idea about the single/dual scan thing. I've seen a computer image at 60Hz and I've been fine with all the modes I've seen. I think some people are more susceptible than others.

Phil

15. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does it matter what refresh rate a plasma is fed? It doesn´t matter if it´s 120hz or 50hz does it, the plasma will display it the same?

16. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keyser,

You may well be right - I think I read on the Key Digital thread over at avsforum that the Pioneer displays video at 72Hz - maybe it converts all sources to this frequency. Anyone?

Phil

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Churchwa,

you say the internal cicuitry of the 433MXE is better than the (more expensive) 433HDE? In what way?

I was interested in teh Panny, but the higher resolution of the pioneer models for hooking up the PC (mxe and hde) have got me looking into these instead.

I have been unable to find many reviews on the pioneers (loads of reviews for the panny) and am just interested in the main differences between hde and mxe

TIA

Mike

18. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mikey, the panasonics are also available in HD resolution, but they use fans to cool down which I´d imagine can be quit bothering.

I believe the MXE uses a 10bit video card but the HDE only 8 bit. I don´t know what that means.. but Joe Fernand knows everything about the Pioneers.

19. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0