1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered XLS200

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by PJTX100, Jan 11, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    After the overwhelming positive noise about this sub I've just ordered one (forward firing 'cause it's a dedicated room hence no "wife factor" etc). Having spent nearly twice what I originally intended, I hope it's good! ;)
    Will report back, doubtless with many questions you've already answered dozens of times. I'm surprised there's no sticky XLS200 FAQ's thread.

Cheers...PJ

2. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just received my light oak finish DF version today. Very well packed and first impressions are that it is great for its size. Its tiny compared to my outgoing Velodyne CHT10!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Excellent. Went for the darker cherry finish myself. ;)
    Just rang them and they said it would likely arrive tomorrow or the day after. :thumbsup:
    The diminutive size was part of the attraction. Plus the power, weight, looks, good reports, ability to feed hi & low signals at the same time (what does *that* do?), strong grill etc etc

Now then, what excuse to use...

"oh, I got it 2nd hand from ebay, cheap as chips..." ;)

...PJ

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Interesting to know how it compares sonically though.

5. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think it's going to shift as much air or go as low as the Velodyne but then I wouldn't expect it to being that much smaller. Its certainly nicer looking and more child friendly (being downward firing). Even if it doesn't quite match up to the CHT10 sonically the other factors outweigh it for me (now!). Just means another session with the SPL to try and set it up.................

6. MSYam

MSYam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody compared the XLS200 to the new version Velodyne CHT-10 (R)?

7. armxz02

armxz02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Decided to upgrade after reading all the positive reviews from others users regarding this sub, received my XLS200 in Light Oak yesterday.

First impressions - very nice and compact design compared to my previous sub (Vibe Alpha), initially I have set the Denon 3803 amp at 80Hz for the sub and all speakers to small (B&W 603 S3 fronts, LCR60)

The XLS200 has amazing punch and detailed output, a very good example is the Master & Commander DVD (chapter 4) - just listen to the cannon cross-fire :devil:

Can anyone recommend an amp settings for the crossover for the Denon 3803 with B&W 603 s3 fronts and lcr60? - 80hz seems ok but 100hz has a lot more punch?
    How low do the 603's go down?
    I have set the sub to 120hz (max), Phase to 0 and low gain is approx 50%, does anyone have a similar setup (I appreciate this is based on room size/environment)?

Finally, a big thankyou to everyone who provided feedback for the XLS200, I purchased this sub based on the forum reviews.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    armxz02,
    I'd go with 100Hz if you prefer it for the crossover setting. Depending on your room and speakers people have good results with either. Using a Denon receiver you'll need to make sure that all yor speakers are set to small so that the sub gets used in all processing modes (except maybe Pure Direct or whatever they call it).

Sub crossover clicked into max is good, as is Phase to 0deg (you can try changing it but it doesn't make a lot of difference). Low gain at 50% seems a bit high though, are you running a particularly long sub cable?

9. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    armxz02 - I am using my light oak XLS with a Denon 3803 albeit that my speakers are of the satellite variety so I am crossing over at 120hz in the amp and have set the sub's crossover to max. So far so good - not had a real chance to watch a film at decent levels but watched The Grudge last night at modest volume (-30db) and it still really supported the atmospheric/tension type effects in that film!

PS - still amazed at how small this thing is!!!!!!

10. armxz02

armxz02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Firstly, thanks all for the informed feedback and comments you have provided regarding the XLS200 (which has been the main catalyst for my purchase, and some useful comments from Ian J :thumbsup: )

My sub cable is routed underneath the concrete floor (during hc build) and is 6 metres long (IXOS, can’t remember model number).

Yes, agreed, I also found the 100hz setting to provide better response and only required the low gain to be turned up approx 30% (to provide a similar output with comparison to the 80hz settings)

Room dimensions – 15.5ft long by 8ft

Again, I find setting the speakers to small helps and provides a smoother output with the B&W’s.

I have calibrated all of my speakers to 75db (C weighting and slow) with a Digital SPL metre (supplied by keene electronics), the sub is currently set at 78db (not sure if this is correct, currently don’t have the time to fiddle with graphs and special tones to calibrate)

As you mentioned a great deal depends on room size, environment and placement.

Are you currently using 80 or 100hz (amp crossover)?
    What’s your low gain setting?

Probably try 80hz and 100hz for week and decide after watching a few movies.

Thanks
    Armxz02

11. armxz02

armxz02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I keep asking the same question, how is somthing this small producing such a deep bass output - amazing value for money!

Need to try some movies at 80/100/120 and experiment.