Just ordered the Sony VW12HT. Now what else do I need?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simonuk, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all , have just ordered my first front projector and now would like to ask for peoples advice on the other equipment I will need to create a home cinema system.

I have a designated spare room that is 17 feet (520cm) long and would ideally like to place the projector on a high shelf attached on the rear wall with the screen attached to the front wall. Now I have read throw distances being 10-12 feet for this machine so does it mean I will have to position the projector further forward than my back wall for it to work? If this is the case I assume I will need to buy a ceiling mount. Where is the best place to buy one of these. Also will the power cable on the sony be long enough to run from the projector to the back wall and down to the floor. I cannot see any other way I could install this projector otherwise.

I am considering buying a manual 7feet screen but am unsure which fabric would be best for the Sony. I know DRH do various fabrics whilst Grandview do one type at £250. Is the Grandview Screen superior to the the DRH screens and will its fabric be suitable for the VW12HT. Should I go for DRH and if so which one? Are there any other screens at this price I could consider.

With regard to speakers, does anyone have any views on the Bose Acoustimass 10 Mark III's or the KEF KHT 2005.2

Any info/advice re: front projectors will be appreciated as this is my first attempt at using one.

Thanks to those who reply

2. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Simon

I have my 11HT ceiling mounted with a unicol bracket which also has a quick release mechanism

http://www.unicol.co.uk/gyromain.html

GK2

They were a lot more than anything else I could find about 18 months ago including the Sony one, which incidently looks flimsy and scabby.

I have a pitched roof above my room so I installed a powerpoint in the ceiling along side my component cables, so it all looks quite neat.

Try to makes sure the projectors image is in line with the top of your screen so you don't have to use the keystone adjustment (this effects picture quality) Check the manual I believe the dimensons are in it for mounting the projector upside down

With regard to the screen I considered various options electric, cloth etc but I really did not like how some of these looked with tensioners and large black areas at the top or the bottom of the screen, although I'm sure you will find a lot of people arguing that the best pictures will be obtaining using a proper screen, I decided to build my own screen with 18mm MDF painted with Dulux ice storm, this screen is permanently mounted and looks great even when not in use, I am very pleased with the picture quality and the light grey paint certainly seems to help the blacks whilst watching films, I estimated(roughly) where I needed to position my projector using the manual and then mounted it on the ceiling, once it was in place I then projected on to the wall to determine the size of the screen to build

Sorry can't help with the speakers, I'm a Mission Man through and through

Hope this helps

Nobber

3. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not convinced that you need a screen. I have an HS10 which I project onto a white wall (Dulux white). It looks fine. Screens are expensive and I've seen some good quality ones with wrinkles.

I've also got a Unicol/Gyrolock mount - they're pretty good. I had a Sony one before and that wasn't exactly flimsy - it was actually very heavy. Mine was white and had a problem with the finish.

By the way, if you're interested in Bose, they have a very good demo centre at the Freeport designer outlet village near Braintree, which is worth a look if you live round there.

4. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whatever people say....... they look good on a Draper luma 1.1 gain white.

get yourself a good mount, the unicol one is good but if you mount it directly to the celing it will still be quite low. the LMP mounts are better, I have the unicol but I think they are a rip off and it takes an honest person to admit somthing they bought is a ripoff, most will rate there stuff just because they paid loads for it.

like some of the stuff on the power buys(component cables).......half price on google(thats another story)

its nice to pop a little hole in the roof and mount it on the floor boards...

if you cant do this, mount it direct.

lets say you have a 6" across screen....set the zoom on the front to the middle position, hit the test pettern button. move it back and forward till you get you 6" you have marked out on the wall.

mark your ceiling at this point and fit it.

take a note of the drop, to the centre on the lens.

fit you screen at the hight just on the white, remember you will have around 12" of black drop on most.

get your component cables from vdc trading and away you go.

most say get a new filter (red) you will get one with your 12ht but the ones you can buy are much better.

have a look

HERE at the CC40 filters......and the smart 3 is said to be the way to get the best out of this pj.

maybe even as good as an HS10......

Darren

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pushing your luck there :D With debate as to whether the 12HT is better than the HS20, i strongly suspect it is better than the HS10.

Mounts, I have an LMP mount and it is fantastic. You can have it custom built to your specification and will cost less than the mass manufactured things. Why anyone buys anything else is beyond me!

Screens, do you want one which pulls or rolls up or, given it is a dedicated room, can you have a fixed screen? If so, as suggested, consider a diy screen, saves a fortune and can end up looking better.

Speakers, have a look in the speakers forum since your question is being debated as we speak. Bose dont have a good opinion on here, the only bose that i have heard good comments on are the am15 (whatever that mean).

ad

6. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I do like to talk a bit strait..from the hip and all that.

on another thread someone could not really see the black levels on the hs10 and the 12ht.

I could not understand this.......even pointing it on a black wall yuo could tell....

D

7. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the screen should I get a 16:9 one and restrict myself to widescreen or should I get a 4:3 one and simply use both aspects. If I were to get a 4:3 aspect screen would switching between widescreen and normal be possible as both seem to have different throw distances?

From the Sony brochure it indicates a max distance for the projector and screen to be 3m for a 80inch screen. This will therefore mean I will have to mount the projector in the miidle of my ceiling as oppose to the rear wall. How would I connect other equipment neatly with such a setup? If I wanted to connect 3 games consoles. a dvd home cinema system and sky+, surely this will not only be difficult but result in many cables running along the ceiling and down the walls (providing I can connect the damn things in the first place). Anyone have any suggestions? What have others done? I have toyed with the idea of bringing the screen forward instead i.e mount it closer to the projector on the ceiling but fear this may look naff. I dont mind mounting the projector to the ceiling but dont really want to do it if I cant connect things to it.

8. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simonuk,

A 17ft room and you are only considering a 7ft screen ???!!!.....you might as well try and get the best from the projector - go for an 8 foot screen!

I have an 8ft screen in my 15ft long room and it looks great!!! - a true cinema experience! I have a Vutec Electric 16:9 screen (have had this now for 3 years- since I bought my Sony VPL VW10HT - the 12's predecessor) - it has a 1.1 gain and it has performed brilliantly!!

Don't scrimp on the screen!!!!

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont get a 4:3 screen...... that would be a waste of your money. The projector is natively 16:9, so get a screen to match it. Then for 4:3, the projector will automatically centre the 4:3 image and you will get it slightly smaller but with black bars at the sides (not top and bottom).

ad

10. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    run them in the ceiling, get yourself 2 sets of componebt cables.

the vandamm stuff is the biz, you can get 10m for around £40 if you buy direct. dont buy direct and you will pay double.

you have a and b input use a for dvd and the other for your other stuff, for sky the rgb to component box is the best way togo.

D

11. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Simon,

I hope that you ordered it from Play @ £2199.00 like me! ;)

If you take a look at the other current thread about the 12HT you will see that Play have now "up'd" their sale price to £2,999.00 for these!

It sounds like they may have realised that they have made a slight error in their pricing?

Assuming that you did have the good fortune to order at the lower price, let's hope that they will be prepared to honour this!

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

12. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you both will get the bargain of the year.

get a 40cc filter and away you go..........

D

13. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KBDVD, yep I ordered on Play Friday night at about 11pm and woke up Sat morning to find the price had gone up. Maybe they found themselves selling quite a few and therefore decided to raise prices.

From past experience with play albeit on smaller priced items, they should honour our price paid.

I had to call play today for a credit card security check and given the fact they did not mention anything about the price difference but only said I should recieve my item in 3-5 working days I can only presume we will get ours. Like Darren says it will be the bargain of the year. I guess it was a case of "he who dares wins".

Lets just hope we have no dead pixels but play have confirmed that their items are brand new and not graded or faulty stock.

Good Luck

14. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way at £2999, plays price is still significantly cheaper than anywhere else on the net. I believe the chepeast price I could find is £3500-ish.

Thus plays new price is still very competitive and I do not see why they wouldn't be able to shift the rest of their stock at their current price although psycologically I can understand why those on here would not consider it especially if they were toying about the idea at £2199.

15. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi simon and kev
    if play don't honor your price.
    check out www.krishav.co.uk they do the 12ht for £2750 :) they also have a demo room aswell so at least you could check out your unit for dead/stuck pixels before buying :)

16. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Simon, :hiya:

Well done mate!

Like you, I too had to make the "large order" confirmatory phone call to Play and I took the opportunity to confirm the price to be £2,199.00 at that time.

I also rang them yesterday after reading about the price increase on the other thread. They assured me that the transaction had gone through and that they would honour their £2,199.00 price.

They stated that this wasn't an error on their part. They claim that they priced a few units at this lower price point in their sale and that once these were gone, the price reverted to the still reduced £2,999.00 offer price.

If this is true, I don't really see the logic of this strategy as anyone who was considering a purchase at the lower price will be guaranteed to view it as a "missed opportunity" and be extremely disinclined to then still go ahead with the purchase at the higher price point.

This is certainly a strange one! Their advert at the lower price point even stated "£2,800.00 saving" & quoted the higher percentage saving against full price, so it certainly wasn't a simple case of a "wrong button pressed".

I'm more inclined to think that this was a genuine mistake on their part and due to the "size" of the discrepancy, they feel too embarassed to admit to it. If this is indeed the case, I'm sure that the person responsible has had a bit of a talking to! ;)

Mind you, I like him/her! :laugh:

Have you noticed that some of the specs in the list of features are also incorrect? This might offer some explanation as to the nature of the error as it looks like some of these details belong to the HS10 / HS20 models. Maybe this was the data that they were refering to when the person responsible entered the advert details onto their site and the price for the other model also got incorporated?

Anyway, I wish you luck with your purchase and prey that we are fortunate with the dreaded "dead pixels" and also that they don't attract any additional VAT or Duty on their journeys!

I too have been told to expect to see my projector next week.

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

ps: darren7 & SamirP: Thanks for your input & support!

17. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Me again!

Having just checked back on Play's site I now see with interest that the status of the projector has changed to: Awaiting stock.

Maybe this has something to do with the price increase and the cheaper price wasn't an error after all?

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

18. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And again! :rolleyes:

Availability at Play now listed as: Unavailable! :eek: :eek: :thumbsdow

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hasn't yours shipped though?

:)

20. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Who knows?

Mine's been at "packing" status for 4 days now!

I'll give it another day then give them another call. :confused:

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

21. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    darren,

When you say buy the Van Damme cable direct, what do you mean. I have been to the van damme website and they dont seem to sell it to toe rags like us, just dealers.

Chris

22. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vdc trading they will sell to anyone...... get the number off the site.

call them with the part number, they will ask if you have an account. say no cash....they take CC and switch and all that.

very fast delivery........very good cable........cheaper than the other said dealers.

D

23. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Simon,

Have you received you projector from Play yet?

Play contacted me on Tuesday evening to say that they would be unable to fullfill my order due to a "problem" with their computer system.

They claim that their system was showing stock that they didn't actually have! ................. They also deny that this has anything to do with the 12HT having recently been increased in price by £800!

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

24. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you should tell them you are quite willing to await new stock...... if they then say that new stock wont arrive so you cant do this, make sure to get it all in writing, a fax for instance..... then if they get more in they would either have to stick to your price or they could be publically seen as lying.....

ad

25. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Simon,

Any news mate?

(I got mine today, but only after a fight!)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

26. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mate, well done.

I will aparently recieve mine on Monday.

What screen have you decided to go for as I have no idea and dont want to restrict the capabilities of our projector considering it is the top of the range kit in the LCD area ;)

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for an 8' footer :smashin:

28. KBDVD

KBDVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Simon,

Good Luck for Monday ............ I hope you've got that in writing! :(

I have decided to go for a Stewart Electriscreen, probably a Luxus Model A, and to deck it out in their Firehawk screen material.

I gather that the 1000 lumens brightness of the 12HT will be sufficient to cope with this material and reap the benefit that it will bring to the 12HT's black level and contrast.

That is of course when I can afford it! ;)

Best Regards,
    KBDVD.

29. Simonuk

Simonuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KBDVD, I did indeed recieve mine but it is evident that mine had been opened before. Although the item looks mint physically the box it came in was rather dirty and tatty. I have not yet tested the item but I hope it isn't a returned item or one of those factory seconds. Anyway, I called up play and apparently amongst their batch of Sony projectors were a number of faulty ones. If I were you I would check yours ASAP and demand a refund if this is the case.

I might be a little paranoid here but when you order a £2200 item you would expect the box to be mint on arrival.