Just ordered the Sony 50", please help with components

G

Gareth33

Hi all my set comes this w/e......

Can you please advise on a good DVD player and what leads to use.

I have a sky+ box also.

Many thanks
GC

Pretty general question.
Any special requirements, price for instance?

Sorry about the generality.

Happy to pay 150 - 200 pounds for a good hdmi player lead and scart for the sky + (if that is all I need?)

Any advice would be brill thank you.

Gareth,

Some people have found that Component output on their DVD playoer with GOOD component leads gives excellent results... i've cheapo Eltax DVD player playing 576p on component, and the picture on my sony is great, cant wait to get my KIss DP-600..

As far as compoent leads go you can pay a mint for commerically available ones, but here on Avforums theres a guy who makes custom leads that appear (based on reviews) to be as good as ones that are 3-4x teh cost.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104551

"Mark is under playing the quality of the product here, if I was doing this I would do it no different to Mark and yes I have IXOS, QED, Chords and many of the other names at home. Some are fine (but expensive) but this is the Rolls Royce of cables at beer money. A no brainer This will simply be the last cable you ever buy"

JUst a thought..

Pete

Many thanks for the help guys.

So if I get a DVD player like the ones above, a good scart (sky+) lead and a good HDMI lead will that be all I need.

Should I then wand surround sound what should I look at.

Sorry about my lack of ability here.

Many thanks
Gareth

Gareth I suggest that you get your basic setup and start to think about surround etc. a little later.
Or go for a surround sound setup with a DVD player as the 'heart'.
Not 'state-of-the-art' but some of the co-ordinating Sony stuff is rather nice.

Gareth33 said:
Thanks Bat Man.

Could you suggest one please ?
Sorry don't know any product numbers.
How about spending the weekend having a look around the stores?

Thats the plan but the Behemoth arrives on Sunday.

So are you saying that Sony do a good all in one cineam surround DVD player with HDMI ?

Also with these HDMI players do you get the cable with them or buy it in addition?

The Samsung one comes with HDMI lead. I got the same from Amazon for £75. Its a bargain.

All HDMI leads are the same - since the stream is digital, they either work perfectly or they fail horribly. I've blindtested a £4 lead vs a £100 one, and a PC World test article found the same thing.

As for the player, everyone says the Oppo. It's around £175, and nothing else seems to even come close.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom