Just ordered the Pioneer 2011 and 757AI, but...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stealth, Mar 31, 2003.

1. stealth

stealth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... I still have a few doubts. After buying a Sanyo PLV-Z1, I decided to upgrade my Pioneer 717 to a progressive scan DVD player. Firstly I read some excellent reviews of the Philips 963 with the Faroudja DCDi chip, but after reading up about new DVD-players at this forum, I found that many people have had problems with this player.

Since I've been more than happy with my 717, and the only reason I'm upgrading is the progressive-scan feature, I really wanted a player that does both PAL and NTSC prog scan. But after more reading I found that there might be a firmware PAL prog scan upgrade for the 757, so with my previous experiences with Pioneer sturdiness, I've finally landed on this one.

One thing I haven't found an answer to is whether the prog scan chip on the 757 is as good as (or better than?) the DCDi on the Philips??

With the 2011 amp, I'd really like to have the AX-10i for the i-Link, but the price jump is a bit steep for me at the time being...

Anyone with some thoughts or last minute warnings (or encouragement!!) for my latest "wallet-digin"??

Regards,
    Steffan

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    stealth

In my very own opinion the PS quality of the 757Ai and in fact its overall picture quality is above the Philips, Arcam and Denon. At least I tested against all these before I bought. Furthermore, the spec is so tight and rigid over all factories making it since introduction showing no variation for each machine produced. "Sturdiness" is a very good word for the Pioneer. Search this forum, you will find real complaints from anyone in contrast to the others. I also had 717 and 737 and you will notice the difference. Well done.. relax!

Regarding the amp I also wish I could afford the Pio with the iLink. I spent the money on the plasma but again you will not be at all disappointed with you what you have chosen. I am using the Denon AVR 3801 and have been happy with it for some time.

3. stealth

stealth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Costas!

I just got a call from my local supplier, saying the 2010 is not in stock... Heard it before, anyone??

Anyway, I just happened to pop by another store here in Oslo (for the locals: HiFi-klubben) who's just reduced the prices on all Denon products!! The AVR-3803 is now £869 (was £1042). So now I'm wondering which way to go with the amp as well...

Do I keep my order for the Pio 2010, or is the Denon a better way to go??

Again, your thoughts and input are highly appreciated!!

-stealth-

4. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Again you should trust your ears but they are both very good products indeed. Based on the price offer you have I would seriously consider the Denon. Compared to my older 3801 the 3803 it has one key additional feature of allowing you to adjust the delay time for any lip synch problems. Both products have good reviews within this forum.

5. stealth

stealth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My next question would then be: have you had any lip-sync problems with the 757? Is this an issue in general with this one?

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Definitely NOT. I have never ever expreinced the problem. Many people have seen in trelation with the use of plasma screens.
    Still I do not recall having seen anyone having such an issue using the 757...

7. stealth

stealth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After som heavy thinking and considering, I think I'll stick with my original Pioneer order.

The silver 2011 matches the silver 757 far better than a black or gold Denon as well... in an aesthetic point of view ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, Costas!

8. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Well done. Definitely a good decision! Enjoy the equipment!