1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered the 550 - have I missed anything?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by duckson, Jan 9, 2005.

1. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just ordered the following from superfi:-

DENON DHT550SD DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM (MULTI-REGION)
    DENON SS30 SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR) (2 off)
    QED P21 PERFORMANCE SQART SCART > SCART LEAD (FULLY WIRED) (1 off)
    BANDRIDGE AL420 2 x PHONO PLUG TO 2 x PHONO PLUG (2 off)

I'm getting a scart switch box (probably the monster from Currys/Comet) as my TV only has 1 RGB scart i/p and i also have Sky. I will also get a Kameleon remote (again probably!) from eBay.

Question is do I need anything else?
    How does the 550 DVD player connect to the 550 amp....is it by Coaxial and if so is that supplied?
    I presume adequate lengths of speaker cable (inc an amp lead) are supplied as well?

TIA! :smashin:

2. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The way I read it on the superfi website there is no speaker wire with the 550. If you look at the DHT500 under 'Supplied accessories' it states there are 'all speaker connecting leads'. I was wondering about this as I'm thinking of buying the 550.

3. Chem_Eng

Chem_Eng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You get speaker wires for the system including the sub. Denon provide an optical lead to connect the DVD player to the receiver. Basically, everything you need to get the system up and running as a standalone is included in the box, and you just need to worry about connecting to the TV and any other inputs to the system. HTH

4. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    OK thanks.

I intend to use the 550 speakers for everything ie TV via RF, Sky, VCR and DVD.
    If i connect a phono o/p from my TV to amp i presume i will get audio from both RF and from the Sky box (into the TV via the scart cable)? This would be handy as the amp would only need to be on one setting (whatever that might be....TV, video1 etc?) to get audio from both.

5. dionblaster

dionblaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the DHT550 data sheet, I see that the DVD player has one RGB video out. But it doesn't say what form this is in. Looking through the various descriptions in the online stores I haven't found SCART explicitly stated. Does the DVD have RGB SCART out? Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere and seeing one in the flesh isn't so easy...

TIA.

6. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just emailed Denon and they stated 'The SCART does not have a RGB output.' What is the best video output on this player if you don't have component?

7. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

What?!!?!?!? the scart is not RGB?! what the hell is the RGB then? :censored:

EDIT

Have just checked in Home Cinema magazine and in its review it specificly states RGB Scart! Are they wrong then? what form is the RGB o/p in, what cable do i need for it to connect to a RGB scart on my TV? :confused:

(bit annoyed as i've ordered a QED RGB scart cable now).

8. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well i phoned Denon UK today to try to get to the bottom of this and they said it DOES have a scart RGB o/p. :rolleyes:

On the Denon website pdf for the 550 it says 1 set RGB video output....if it wasnt via the scart then what other method/calbe is there to carry RGB to a TV scart i/p?! :confused:

I think what we need is someone who actually has a 550 to help..... :lease:

9. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi duckson,

I have the 550,

Yes the DVD player has RGB scart output, in the box is speaker cables, sub cable and optical cable to connect between DVD and amp, all straight forward. Not overly generous on cable lengths for rears though. Cables supplied for sub and optical are very thin, don’t know if better cables will make any difference might change them one day, but very impressed so far. Don't know if it’s psychological but the more I use the Denon the better it sounds.

Mine is set up as you state in your first post, I have phono connectors from TV out to the AMP TV in, whatever sound is playing on the TV can be played through the amp in PLII, be this an RF signal or scart. Also have xbox optical on 2nd optical input on amp.

10. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should get a cheque tomorrow to allow me to buy this player. My TV has component input but is only NTSC Progressive Scan, will a Pal picture still be as good if not better with component or will the RGB scart provide the best picture? :confused:

11. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much bobble, your a star, you've put my mind at ease mate!! :smashin: :D

OK that sounds cool....so u just have phono's from the TV (dont need any from the Sky box, presuming u have one...) to the AMP TV in and so u just need to leave the amp in one setting (TV?) to play RF or Sky (via the scart)?

Sorry if i'm repeating you or myself but i'm a bl00dy n00b & i just want to be 100% clear! :blush:

12. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Component will still be best.

Best to worse connection wise its:-

Component - RGB Scart - S-Video - Composite Scart

13. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes I have sky, only have audio leads from TV to Denon get all sound from VCR, Sky & RF from audio leads conected to TV.

14. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received Denon catalogue today and was wondering what it meant by the DHT550 having a PAL signal system and the DHT500 having a PAL/NTSC signal system ? How will this effect playback of NTSC discs on the 550 ? :confused:

15. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    :smashin: Your a gent/gentess. :D