Just ordered Sky HD - anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wj209980, Jan 12, 2008.

1. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to Curry's earlier today, and bought a Sky HD box for £149 + £60 installation (I bought a TV off them a couple of weeks ago so I got the box for half price). Not too bad a price I guess, although I already have multiroom so I could have got it for close to that direct from Sky....

Anyway, I am booked to have a Sky engineer to install it next Saturday (not really sure what he needs to do, I already have Sky+, so I can't see that there will be much to install??). Do you get a HDMI cable free with the box? Is the cable decent, or is it worth me buying a new one? If so, could anyone point me in the right direction of a good one?

Is there anything else I should do, ask the engineer etc etc to get the best out of the service and avoid any unnessary pitfalls?

2. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    You don't get a HDMI cable, so you'll need one. Sky tend to use SCART during the install. But unless the cable is going to be routed in a way that may pick up interference, it's not worth spending a fortune on a cable. As HDMI is a digital connection there wont be a quality difference between cheap and expensive cables, so long as the screening is up to scratch.

The only other thing you'll need to know..... is SD content is about to look very poor, once you've been spoilt by HD content :D

3. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well i'm well and truly looking forward to being spoilt lol :)

Thanks for the info on the HDMI cable - the guy in Curry's told me that you get a cheap HDMI cable in the box when I asked, obviosuly he had no idea what he was on about (makes a change :rolleyes:)

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,797
    Yes you do.

5. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okey dokey, i'll hang back on buying one to see what the engineer brings with him :D

6. RobM

RobM
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    I got ripped off then! My apologies, I (wrongly...) assumed it would be the same for everybody.

:oops:

7. Munckles

Munckles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    When I had SkyHD installed, a HDMI lead was actually supplied in the box.
    It was a basic one and although there's no difference in signal quality I bought my own one for about £12. The Sky one looked like it would break if you sneezed anywhere near it!

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,797
    It is very short, but is definitely supplied.

9. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    Ask the engineer to do a software update

10. chelsea.tone

chelsea.tone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I too had HDMI cable supplied in-box. Haven't changed it either as its no different in quality to ANY other :smashin: Agree about the update.

Tony

11. rongood

rongood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A 1.5mt HDMI cable was supplied with both my boxes they work ok as far as i can see,no point in spending loads of money on upgrades as it is a digital signal and nothing to be gained unlike analogue :)

Ron

12. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice guys. The supplied 1.5m cable should suffice for me, as my box will be located very close to my lcd tv.

As for asking the engineer to perform a software upgrade on the box when he installs it, is this something I could do myself in the event that the engineer can't do this?

I'm not for one second suggesting that the engineer won't know how to do this, but I am asking just in case...

(....when I had my original Sky box installed a few years ago, the engineer could not be faulted - he overcome many obstacles, including being on the roof in the pitch black at 10pm at night in the wind and rain, just so I could get it installed on the day I asked for. However, when I had Sky+ installed, it was another story - the engineer looked about 16 years old, and with the release of Sky HD just around the corner I asked if he knew the date it would actually go live - he said he had no idea what I was on about, he'd never heard of it lol! This conversation was when he found a spare 2 minutes to talk to me in between texting his new girlfirend about 100 times whilst sat on my sofa drinking my coffee :suicide:)

13. gblades

gblades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I got my box installed today and there is a yellow sticker inside telling the engineer to perform a manual software upgrade.

The only problem I has was that I kept getting corruption on the screen as if there was a reception problem. It got better after a few minutes but still persisted after the engineer changed the LNB.

The engineer then had to leave to give his colleague a hand as he had parked on grass overnight and the van had sunk:rotfl:
    I was going to try a component connection to see if that helped before he came back with another box but by the time I got the cables the picture seemed fine and it has continued to be fine for the 7 hours or so since. The engineer thought it might have been related to the update but as its no longer a problem he didnt change the box.

I have spent a few hours playing with it and the only thing I have noticed is that the dolby digital track on Discovery HD can drop out for a second or two once or twice an hour. Other HD/DD channels seem fine though.

14. Topefisher

Topefisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You will need to make a decision on whether or not you want "anytime"

Some people disable anytime to avoid the fans running most of the time during downloading, in particular at night.

Some give value to the "anytime" service.

The programmes/films can be saved to your HDD for watching anytime anyway.

15. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    If you subscribe to the movie channels it's well worth while using Anytime. If you miss the one showing of a premiere on the regular channel you have to wait for maybe a month for it to come round again.

16. wj209980

wj209980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I do subscribe to the movie channels, but I don't like the idea of the noisy fan running all the time.

I have never used the Anytime facility on my Sky+ box, so I guess that as long as I plan well enough I guess I can do without the Anytime facility. I assume this will free up more hard drive space?

Will the engineer ask if I want it enabled, or is this something I will need to diable myself?

17. derek500

derek500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +497
    Iv'e got a Sky HD box version 4E300C with a Western Digital drive. It is very quiet, in fact I'ved never heard the fan or HD.

My previous Sky+ box was very noisy and the Sky HD is is the same position.

If you don't use Anytime you still lose the space.

18. rongood

rongood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not using anytime doesnt give you any disk space :( so you might as well have it download :) unless of course you have a noisy one,you have the user option to disable if you want.
    The two HD boxes we have are very quiet so luck of the draw i'm afraid

Ron

19. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    As you subscribe to Movies, It's worth pointing out that disabling Anytime will stop you receiving the latest HD Film Premieres. Sky deliver them via Anytime and they are not shown again on the normal HD Movie channels for at least a month or two later on. HTH.

ATB

Max