1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered my HCPC!!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AVMADMAN, May 15, 2003.

1. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last after all the waiting i have ordered my PC from Dell..

Dimension 8300
    P4 2.5GHZ
    512 DDR
    DVD Rom + Power DVD
    DVD Rewriter
    ATI Radeon 9800
    SB Audigy 2
    win XP

order arrives end of next week

Thanks to everyone on here for helping - the info provided by U guy's is priceless.....:smashin:

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    Now the fun starts, making it quiet for a start (that graphics card could be a little noisy!). Suspect if you want to use it for HTPC duties you'll have to replace the PSU, the graphics card fan, the CPU fan and the case fan (for starters). I'd get rid of Power DVD and install Zoom player, the latest version doesn't need graphs so it's quite a bit easier to use, I recommend downloading the Sonic DVD decoder XP pack for $15 and using that with Zoom player, if you can get an OEM copy of WinDVD4 and install that for the audio decoder I'd do that as well. Then use Zoom player with the Sonic video decoder, WinDVD audio decoder and use ffdshow also. The results should be fantastic.
    I hope the Dell PC works out ok but expect some long hours ahead tweaking it, I must have spent a solid 50 odd hours getting mine to the point it's at now, maybe more with the forum browsing to glean all the necessary info. It's been worth it though!

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dell PCs are usually pretty quiet in my experience.

Don't think the PSU can be replaced - something about Dell using "propriatery" units in their PCs.

Best of luck with it - nice enough PC :)

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Ad,

Dell pcs all over the place at my office, all as quiet as as a church mouse...... if there's a fan on the Radeon 9800, it might make a bit of noise - if it's a prob you could swap it for a Radeon 9000 - no fan, fine for hcpc use but not as good as the 9800 for gaming afaik.

Have fun - lots of software to trick about with !!

See ya,

Sean G.

5. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys

Have just been trying to find out what cables i should buy???

do you think it's better to buy a long VGA cable or a long audio for the digital out on the audigy 2 ?

my front room in Ireland is 18" x 14" so i am planning on sending one of those cables either around the room or into the loft and back down... i have worked it out to be about 13m of cable...

forgot to add just incase...

connections to a PTAE100 PJ and Denon 3802

Theritz: only two weeks to go before the long drive to Ireland!!!:clap:

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again, Ad,

Much of a muchness, I'd say, but you probably wouldn't want the pc too close to the PJ, particluarly if the pj is ceiling mounted.... I'm running a 10m vga cable and its fine.

long drive right enough, any little ones ? they're the real chore on very long journeys.

All the best,

Sean G.

7. AVMADMAN

AVMADMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately I am going over first on my own and missus + one little one is following on the plane.. in a months time :)

plenty of tinkering time and getting it right.. before they arrive...

also i have to unpack everything, so don't really know who got the better deal:confused: