Just ordered JVC HV32P37

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Wingnut_72, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've Just ordered JVC HV32P37 for £400 have I made a good choice? seems like a very good set on paper, the price seems low for a TV of this spec.

What do you think?

2. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    It is low, CRTs don't come better equipped than this one...

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    You will have to review it for us all when it arrives and you have time to set it all up and play :D

4. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I wouldn't mind some screenshots of this TV set in action ;)

5. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Im quite tempted my one myself especially with that feature set and price but would like some honest owner opinions on them myself before splashing the cash :devil:

6. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It arrives on Monday 7th so I'll post opinions after setting it up and trying it out.

7. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The review does it justice: i've seen this set being rather bad with composite interlaced input but also great looking elsewhere with a JVC demo DVD (still only via interlaced RGB SCART since it seems no one in the JVC shop is even aware of progressive scan connections, while their info tickets with every DVD player state component progressive scan as a major feature...

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
  10. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Why does the 32P37 look so ugly compared to the bigger 36" version?

The speakers are too big on the 32" model in my opinion.

Is the 36" version even sold anymore?

BTW GaryB, does the 28D40/32D40 models also have the line problem with 480p progressive scan?

Attached Files:

11. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    Don't know the answer to that one. The 36" set was based on a set then already on sale in Japan. The P37 was a new design for Europe.

No. It's been discontinued for a while, although a few shops may still have them in stock.

It does, but the memory change I have sent to many people on here will also work for the D40. It's basically the same set as the P37 with a DTT tuner.

12. fallenangle

fallenangle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm really interested in this TV as I'm looking for a good gaming orientated model.

What's worrying me is the results it gives with RGB SCART using PSOne/PS2/XBox consoles. My current 32" Sony 100Hz can be very good with some games but too often smears background movement and has horrible shadow artefacts (some sort of pixel memory) with others. I don't want that anymore. How does this set handle PAL games via RGB SCART?

13. Bombdogs

Bombdogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any digital processing will chew your pic up to some degree - how bad it is depends on the level of detail & how much it's moving. Certainly I couldn't play pro-evo on my samsung slimfit which also had digital processing & football from SKY was woeful, the processing really made a 'feature' of the overly compressed signal. Tho to be fair, they're very good when displaying normal sort of pictures from a good source like a DVD player.

In the end I swapped it for a bog standard 50Hz CRT, which has exactly the picture quality I was hoping for in the first place, leaving me some cash to spend on booze & games :smashin:

PMF

14. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm interested in buying this TV myself. I want it mainly for 1080i for my Xbox360 and then my DVDs and Sky (in that order). Would there be any problems with using the TV for 1080i for an Xbox360?

15. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Wingnut_72

Good luck with your tv, for that price it looks like a real good bargain. I have had the old model hv 32d25 for two years now and dvd playback is fantastic with a decent player. The new model should be even better. I am surprised though that this model doesnt have hdmi port on the back because here in cyprus they are advertising this model with this port and 720 p cabable. Still it is a fantastic price none the less. They sell this model here in cyprus for about 595 pounds which is quite good.

One thing to note is that you need alot of tweaking the controls with different sources. For standard tv it is okay on mine and some channels are quite good picture. On digital sat picture looks good to awful depending on the source. DVD is stunning and so is footage from a dv camcorder.

16. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 36" model for almost 2 years and quite frankly I couldn't be any happier tough I have some serious overkill gear connected to it (see my sig.).
    For those who critise it, they should try some WMV-HD or 1080i .TS clips on it using an HTPC connected via component at 1080i, there is no other TV be it plasma, LCD or CRT that comes close to it. DVDs upscaled with the iScan look terrific and so does DTT. My only complain is analogue broadcasts but it don't watch them too often.
    Cheers,

17. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    javier

Hi, what is the iscan? is this a dvd scaler for dvd players and how much does it cost?

18. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a Video Processor, check their page at www.dvdo.com for info no idea how much it costs in the UK, I got it for 1.400€ (prox. £950) + $200 for the optional SDI module from ebay. There are other VP like the Crystalio or Lumagen but most of them are more expensive. Look in the VP forum for more info.
    I got the iScan because its also a hub, giving me 2 HD component inputs, an SDI input and a DVI input, the last is all important if you have a CRT like the JVC and want to futureproof it.

19. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    thanks for the info

20. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    What is the problem (in your opinion) with analogue broadcasts on it? I was thinking of getting one but I watch a lot of analogue TV as I cant get freeview or afford sky/cable.

21. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you have an absolutely fantastic singal where you live the PQ will make you T.U. In my area analogue signal is very week and my other set, a 15 year old 25" Sony beats the JVC hands down, but for analogue I like plain old 50Hz better than any processing, be it 100Hz, DIST, pixel plus or any other.
    Cheers.

22. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    i reason analogue looks better in old tv's is that they were specifically built for this technology, while plasmas,lcd and newer crt's like the jvc are for high end digital signal

23. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a known fact, though it needn't be digital, just high end or even good.

24. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I think blue ray will be amazing when it comes out! I once hired a dvd disk with about 8 gb of digital info on one disk for 1 hour playing time. The picture was the best I have seen so far. I mean the fine details of the clothes on the people. Almost touchable on my old jvc 32d25!! Cant wait. But might have to upgrade the tv to plasma!

25. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure whether the d25 accepts 1080i on the comp. input but if it does, going to plasma or LCD will be, in my modest opinion, a serious backstep in PQ tough its true that you can get them bigger. Its sad the 36P38 is been discontinued, maybe in 2 years we'll have decent PQ from SED.

26. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    javier

The picture on the d25 id amazing and I have seen a lot of plasma with a good feed at shops and they all looked artificail due to processing. Only plasmas I did like are the lowe and pioneer. I watched Golden Eye the other day and it is only two hour movie on less than 4.4 gb and it was very good picture. Close up yielded very fine detail.

I am not technically minded but someone said it can accept 1080i, the specs say 1250i for pal and 1500i for NTSC, not sure 100% sure though?

Also i have a phillips pro scan player the q50 i bought from hong kong and it is supposed to be 480p but when you see the picture it is so good i am thinking the tv upscales to a higher interlaced resolution?

27. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats why you should stick to it.

You could try it if you have a PC with a last gen. NVidia or ATI card and the component output cable, aslo theres a few DVD players (none too good) that'll output 1080i on comp.

I think it does some sort of "zooming" rather than true scaling I belive, thats one of the reasons I got the iScan, the other is the DVI input for BR/HDDVD and HTPC. The HD players will only output 1080i on HDMI+HDCP so they cannont be connected straight to the JVCs, an HDCP stripper and digital to analogue coverter/transcoder will be needed, the later is solved with iScan the former can be solved with some other device (Spatz).

28. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    javier

There are some players on the market that do upscaling through component to 1080i, If you go to www.hivizone.com you will see many! The cheapest is the skyworth 3050 for under 150 us dollars, but somehow dont think picture would improve.

Actually this is where i have bought my set. I am tempted to buy but since i get so much quality with the philips why change. I do have an ATI card on my laptop computer i think 128 mb but It is useless unless i connect this to the tv.

29. JavierS

JavierS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crappy players give crappy PQ independent of output resolution.

Laptop graphic cards dont output component, you'll need a transcoder.

30. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    is there any other cheaper solution to hook up my dvd player to some machine and get higher resolution. I mean besides the iscan which i cannot afford!