1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered DV78!!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by GrannySmith, Oct 31, 2003.

1. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Impetuous or what? Within ten minutes of seeing John Archer's post on Arcam's 'budget' dvd player, I've only gone and ordered one. Nearly a year's fence-sitting has hopefully paid off if this model is identical in performance to the DV88+ as posted.

For the same money as competing multi-format players such as the Denon 2900, this new Arcam will hopefully out-perform them all on standard DVD-Video and CD discs, i.e. all that I own, and 99% of what's available on the market. Any reassuring comments from John Dawson in support of my decision to purchase sight unseen (well, I've auditioned the DV88) would be welcome indeed!

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for your kind comments - I don't believe you will be disappointed :) It's a very fine player - our Engineering team has done an excellent job. With which dealer did you place the order?

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. GrannySmith

GrannySmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi John, I use Audio Excellence in Swansea, Nick and his team have always looked after me well in the past. I spoke to one of your technical support guys regarding the DV78, and he was of the opinion that while this new player offers virtually identical video performance to the DV88+, its audio resolution falls some way short - I assume that some compromises have had to be made to meet the new price point.

While I have no argument with the non-upgradeable design of the DV78, I'm slightly dismayed that its audio might be noticeably inferior to the DV88+ - does the older player completely outclass its new sibling in this regard? Thanks again for your comments!

Will.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Will,

When the chips are down the DV88 Plus is the better CD player, but the differences are not huge by any means and we believe the DV78 outclasses all comparably priced rivals. The digital output quality of the two players is similar. The DV88 Plus also brings upgradeability, both to DVD-Audio and simultaneous progressive and interlaced video (very popular in multi zone / multi screen set ups). You can choose either or both.

You pays your money and takes your choice :)

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I ordered the 78 last week from the boys at Sevenoaks(Ncastle)who are top guys.

John,
    In your opinion will it be better than the Den 2900?(which has all the bells&whistles, and is supporedly the best machine for the money and Is pretty much future proofed)
    I dont want to have to get a new player a few months down the line because its out of date. I hope to be going into a projector with it soon, Is it capable enough or should I hold out for an 88+(exdem)?
    On your site it says its an entry level player. I would hardly say £700 is entry level.
    My old player was a Toshiba sd 900(I was totally happy with it but it was getting on a bit) is it a better machine than that.

Is it going to be the new daddy upto £1000?

6. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Dazca,

I really don't want to be doing comparisons with other named products for the normal ethical reasons.

We believe the DV78 does set the standard for both video and 2 channel (CD/DVD-V) audio at this price level and that what it can play, to very high standards, reflects the vast majority of the software that most people own. I can't see it being obsoleted in the forseeable future in any meaningful way either, in terms of being able to replay existing formats. You may wish to note that like all Arcam DVD players it includes HDCD and WMA support as well, which some others do not.

In any case please get it demoed by those awfully good guys at Sevenoaks Newcastle before you finally part with your money and judge for yourself.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

7. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I know its going to be great. My old machine had DVD-A and I never used it.
    For what I need(an out and out DVD machine) I know that this player is going to do the job it was made for, and in the best possible way.
    Ive had a dem of the 88 and if the 78 pretty much the same as that, that'll do for me.
    Thanks for your advice.

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I would really like one of these players to go with my Panasonic ae100 projector, I guess i will have to save up :(
    I would be interested in owners views of this player, as i have tested a couple of cheap pal prog players only to find them offering very poor picture quality with progressive scan. i find my toshiba sd-510 pretty good for NTSC progressive scan but it will not do pal, and only offers average cd playback :(

Would the analogue connections on the 78 offer much better sound quality than using a digital connection?

9. timdp

timdp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the price on one of these?

I think I need one to go with my PF2.