1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just ordered Canon A80

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by micks_address, Nov 13, 2003.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi folks -

Just orderd a Canon A80 from amazon.co.uk as its the cheapest price by a mile i could get the camera to Ireland. I checked out all the reviews and comments and the further i dug the more confused i got so i just went for it.

Its our first digital camera - before this we just had a canon automatic which was grand. My Fiancee has been pining after a zoom camera for ages as her cousin has one and her pictures of out little son always look way better than ours. She has a pentax camera with zoom lens - its not digital but the pictures do look good - she usually gets 7*5 prints i think.

As you'll have guessed i'm a complete novice when it comes to photography. I was just wondering how the A80 photo's will compare to the pentax pics? Will the quality be as good.?

How is the zoom quality on the canon - is it reasonable?

The other thing is we don't have a full time pc in the house - i sometimes borrow a laptop from work but will that be much of a hindrence? Do you really need a pc to have a digital camera?

Last question is around memory cards. I haven't ordered an extra one but i know i probably will eventually as the one with the camera is just 32mb.

Amazon have this http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A42WH/ref=br_lf_li_1_2/026-8471867-1392454

but not sure what the quality is like - one of the reviews say's the card crashed after a couple of pics.

Any feedback on the camera choice appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mick

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice little camera there mate. It would be better if you had a pc. But you can rig the camera up to the tv, with the av lead that comes with the camera if you want to view a large image. But you cant really save your images without a pc. once the card is full, you'll want to delete the pics to take more. So you need somewhere to store your pics.

The pics will be very good. It all depends on what setting you have the camera on. The better the setting, the quicker the card will fill. I think you'd get 50 at the size your girlfriend uses on super fine. have look at the graph here..
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a80-review/index.shtml

The zoom is 3x. the rest is taken up by digital zoom. you can use softwear for digital zoom, so is not really needed on digital cameras.

Jessops will print out your pics from the card for you. Unitll you get a pc, or some way of storing your images, you should get an extra card-128mb.

3. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the IBM microdrive will work in the A80? Seems like all the storage a man would ever need. I guess it might be slower than memory though. Have you an advice on memory cards? Is there an make i should be looking for or avoiding?

Thanks,
    Mick

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    This may sound like a silly question - i've had a canon a80 in for a few weeks now but only got to play with it for a few minutes as its a present for the other half for christmas - one thing i noticed was the zoom - while zooming in i had imagined the lenes would move outwards from the camera and while zooming out - the unit would retract into the camera. Instead while zooming in it seems to move back in slightly and then outwards again. The lcd screen definetely shows a zoomed pic so i guess its me just being a complete novice with camera's but if anyone could let me know if whats happening is correct i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mick

p.s. bought a 256mb memory card from komplett - i guess that will do for a while along with the 32mb one that came with the camera. Me thinks this could be an expensive hobby!

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's working fine mate.