1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered an FQ80!??!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by astonbilla, Oct 2, 2002.

1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    and im bricking myself. Has anyone seen or heard anything - i ordered hoping the new DRC will prove to be great.

I chose it over the philips 9617/9607 as i was not impressed by pixel plus. I think that DRC just nicks it, also the HUUGE Tosh ZD thread put me off that option also.

If and when i get i'll let you guys know, in the meantime....

....please pray for me!

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +806
    Hi astonbilla, I am getting refunded for my Sony, we both had a bad DX100, please let me know if it has scrolling bars and if the geometry is ok.

good luck
    mij

3. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Spoke to Sony center today and they say the FS76 is in the country, and should be in-store next week.

I'll be checking for sb as well as purity, focus and geometry!

I'll post my findings is no one else has by then. I think the FQ80 and FS76 are the closest in the way of technology if not identical.

Matt.

4. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    astonbilla,

remember me? ;)
    after having a service engineer from the allders group services come by to inspect the tv, i have since been in touch with the stores tv department manager.

he's more than happy to replace my dx100 as it had crap geometry.
    he suggested that i pop by the store and take another look again though, so as not to go through the exchange process again.

if i see an alternative tv i would rather prefer, he is willing to give me that option (any price difference will be refunded to me or me having to pay the top up)

i gotta say the digital broadcasts on my set was really clear though. and i would not go back to analogue :)

word is ... there's gonna be a new version of dx100 right? dx200 (saw it on indigo-av)
    also ... a 36" version!

should i wait ... or just (fingers crossed) get a dx100 replacement.

cheers,
    dac

p.s. good luck with the fq80 :)

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    KV36NX something - ie optical out for your AV amp!

6. dac

dac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    martin,

http://www.indigo-av.co.uk/shop/Digital_Integrated_TV.htm

KD36NX200 for £2299 from indigo-av.
    thats a bit tooooooo steep for a crt tele.

new 32" version is KD32NX200 for £1699 which is cheaper than old version KD32NX100 for £1850

i bought the 32" dx100 for £1260 - so probs stick to that and get a better replacement this time.

dac

7. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,
    I got the FQ80 yesterday and I'm made up with it!!!! Definitely worth the wait. No Scrolling bars or other apparent probs!!! Apart from the weight of it, that is!!!:) :) :)
    Enjoy your set when it arrives

Mark

8. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    What is the image quality like? better than the fq75?

9. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes the images quality looks great. Sony have also restyled the front, there are more curves rather than sharp corners.

10. alim

alim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you can't see any SB on the new tv. I've ordered the 36NX200 which has the same design as the FQ80. By the way can you tell me if there are "holes" in the rear leg of the stand to allow cables to be threaded through? Or do you have to have them in full view.

Thanks

11. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes there are two 75mm holes in the leg (central at back) where you can thread all your cables thro and then there is a cover at the back of the set which encloses them all. The 75mm holes also have an adjustable cover, similar to an office desk. Once the DVD, video and sky are in place it looks really well!!!!

12. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went into my local Sony Centre yesterday and just stood stairing about 5inches from the FQ80 screen for about 5 minutes looking for the SB. I used to have a FQ75 so I know EXACTLY what to look for. Mark, did you have a FQ75, do you know what exactly you are looking for?

I just want to get as many comments on the FQ80's SB situation before I consider exchanging my TV for it.

13. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never actually seen a faulty FQ75 , but I have stared at this set and haven't seen any SB's. What is it you look for??:confused:

14. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    One test is to put contrast/brightness up to 100% and put a DVD on pause. You could try cycling through the AV inputs too just to check each one.

Try putting a video recorder to the second SCART too, on pause.

So geometry is great and no purity (pick-patches) problems, what about focus?

Ta,
    Matt.

15. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Yeah actually, Whats the geometry and focus like - Also was the box sealed with Brown tape? or Sony Tape or Clear Tape etc....

16. MarkNordhoff

MarkNordhoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clear tape and the box was stapled.

17. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    My Wife just rang to tell me that the FQ80 has arrived at home. She noticed the delivery men had brought it in upside down!!!, and left it that way. When she asked why they said 'because the bottom of the box is open!'. I am now 100% ****ed off, when will i EVER get a TV without some sort of problem.

Surely the fact that its lying upside down in my house will affect the calibration of the screen, and why was the box opened?

I have no faith in this set already, i dont want it. I am going to send it back right away.

18. Nick23

Nick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least try it out. Have a good play around with it, and see if the SB are present as I would really like to know from someone who knows what to look for.

Thanks

19. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    So you want me to open the TV, unpack it, set it up in the living room and risk the chance of rejecting damaged goods just so i can chack the scrolling bars for you?

Very thoughtful

20. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good idea... reject the goods immediately as second hand... you have no proof that it's new and some retailers are very fussy about giving refunds if you wait for too long.

Hope things work out for you.

21. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Astonbilla,

I'm sure Nick meant no harm!

Matt.

22. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I know, Sorry - i'm just soo angry. Over the last 2 years this was my 9th TV, 7 of those were Sonys. 3 in the last month!

23. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    ASTONBILLA i`m not been funny but if you have had 7 sony tvs & not been happy with them.then why the hell have you not gone for another make because if i got a tv ie a tosh & it had a fault then i got another & that also had faults i would say stuff that & get another make why keep getting sony just to keep getting faulty ones witch seems to be p*ssing you off :confused:

24. mh66639

mh66639
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a Tosh about 7yrs ago but exchanged it for a Sony due to quality reasons. Two years ago bought a FQ75 and I still think they are the best - quality-wise.

I hope to get a FS76 soon in exchange but did start to think about Panasonic. Other makes do seem to be catching up in terms of quality but Sony et.al. really need to ensure the small details such as menu-functions, purity etc. all work before they release a model.

My folks bought one of panasonics first wide-screens and it is for lack of a better word s**t. Only a few inches in the centre of the screen is in focus and lacks any type of quality.

I would still recommend Sony even after all the problems.

Matt.

25. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Liverpool, why did you not change from Tosh to Philips when you had throuble with your 36" ZD?, its because you get used to the image quality from a TV.

Also, 2 of that 9 were Pannys

And when you get a good Sony, you really don't look elsewhere - i have just been unlucky.

26. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i did not get the philips because the one i saw in store was not that good.not because the tosh has a better picture.i changed to a 32" because i don`t like the dark patches on 36" plus i could not be bothered looking at more tvs.but if this 32" had problems i would just send it back & go look at another make.

27. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where do you buy all these TVs from in order to be able to take them take so often?

28. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    ok, heres the story.

1. from currys fx60 - smashed
    2. panny pf10 from electric world - purity
    3. panny from electric world - purity
    4. FQ75 from currys - purity
    5. FQ75 from currys - damaged frame
    6. FQ75 from currys - scrolling bars
    7. DX100 from Sony - geometry
    8. DX100 from Sony - fuzzy picture (now refunded)
    9. FQ80 from Unbeatable - Damaged in transit

29. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +806
    The more I read, the more I think we are being used as testers for new technology, it has become very similar to PC equipment, for example; a well known soundcard manufacturer sells a soundcard with a major fault, their solution was to ignore all complaints until they released a new and improved version, leaving people with the original with no other option than to live with the faults, or spend again to get a new improved card that does what the original should have done.

This appears to be Sony's solution to their scrolling bars fault, all their new models are being advertised with "New improved DRC"

I personally think new models come around too quickly, and would much prefer that manufacturers took more time testing and getting things right before releasing new models. But as the computer industry found out, the majority of people will keep on spending to have the latest and greatest, thus allowing them to get away with supplying faulty goods, I think they rely on the fact that very few people complain, so profits are not really touched, and if a particular model is really bad then the upgrade will deflect attention.

Keep on complaining.
    mij

30. dub45

dub45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree totally with you having just spent hours and hours over the weekend trying to get an Audigy sound card to work and also as a vicitm of the scrolling bars on a 75.

If manufacturers had to compensate consumers for time wasted on their products maybe it would be a different story!!

but will anything like that ever happen?

:devil: