Just ordered an Epsom EH-TW9400.

Can anyone recommend a motorised screen? I think ours is currently about 100 inches. Kids and wife now want a bigger one.

You need to work out where you are mounting the projector on the ceiling and then see measure from the middle of the mount to the screen wall, after you have this measurement take away roughly 300-330mm for half the length of the projector and the distance the screen material will be from the wall itself. Then use the link below to calculate the size of screen you can get.

For example a 120” 16:9 screen needs a minimum of 3.7m from the front of the projector to the screen.

I’ve got 3.3M. We have a 90 inch at the moment.
That online tool you’ve sent has confused me!!

Ok if you have done your measurements like I said and took off the amount mentioned that you ended up with 3.3M to your absolute upper limit is 110” but ideally 106” gives a little adjustment.

An extra 16” diagonal would make quite a difference in how big it looks, it’s an extra 14” of width and 8” in overall height over your current screen.

You will also have lots of lumens to produce a bright HDR image too.

If you don’t intend to move house of move to a room that allows you to increase your screen size I would look at a quality screen. I bought a Diverse Screens screen from @Rickyj at Kalibrate and to say I’m impressed would be an understatement.

I’ve contacted kalibrate a week or so ago and haven’t heard anything back as yet.

Also I’ve left the projector in it’s out of the box settings

Do I need to make any adjustments to it?

Thanks.

I should also add that I’m very impressed with it. I thought the optoma it replaced was good but this is different gravy.

I’ve contacted kalibrate a week or so ago and haven’t heard anything back as yet.

Also I’ve left the projector in it’s out of the box settings

Do I need to make any adjustments to it?

Thanks.

I should also add that I’m very impressed with it. I thought the optoma it replaced was good but this is different gravy.

Might be the time of the year thats to blame for Ricky not getting back too quick though it’s usually a few days for a return PM at best. You could also try and get him on his Instagram account Kalibrateltd and see if you get better luck there.;)

Depends on whether you intend to get it calibrated soon or not, if yes then leave well alone but if not yet you could get yourself or borrow a light meter from a friend and adjust the Iris down so you get a reading of 14-16fLs on a white screen for SDR watching and then get yourself a calibration disc like Spears and Munsil to adjust your brightness and contrast levels. Personally I wouldn’t go any further unless you knew what you were doing and had the right gear.

I have had none of the issues some others have had with flicking bulbs and I put that down to the fact I had Gordon coming in last than a week to calibrate mine and Epson had just replaced the bulb in mine under warranty so I ran it for about 18 hours a day solid to get the hours up. Touch wood I’m 2 years in on the same bulb and mostly watch SDR content on ECO lamp with no flicking at all, maybe my method is the ticket who knows.

Depends on whether you intend to get it calibrated soon or not, if yes then leave well alone but if not yet you could get yourself or borrow a light meter from a friend and adjust the Iris down so you get a reading of 14-16fLs on a white screen for SDR watching and then get yourself a calibration disc like Spears and Munsil to adjust your brightness and contrast levels. Personally I wouldn’t go any further unless you knew what you were doing and had the right gear.

agree i wouldn't go much further either. except id also check HDR for luminance (same white screen) and see if getting in 30FL/ 100nits there abouts... might have to adjust iris and lamp power level to achieve :)

i helped a friend with a brand new unit with basic setup just like this and we were able to get pretty reasonable results. enough anyways till calibrator from store bought it from came around to do a full calibration.

Sorry I don’t have anyone coming to calibrate or. So is it something I can do myself?

Sorry I don’t have anyone coming to calibrate or. So is it something I can do myself?

most folks can do basics... as been suggested above.

as to doing a calibration yourself. not something most folks could undertake given the equipment required and skills / knowledge necessary and it would be a very steep ramp. most folks get a calibrator in for this reason. something like the 9400 id strongly recommend a calibration. i've myself helped with basics on a couple of 9400 and also in one case seen results post pro calibration. only so much can do with the basics. and these projectors particularly with HDR are not plug and play. not that projectors are ever plug and play as a TV is where you just buy it and plug it in and get going :)

So just looking this stuff up. I have a 9400 in a bat cave. Got about 1200 hrs on the lamp now With out the box settings. How much difference will I see with a pro callabration. How mich are they and any body recommend any body in kent. Many thanks

So just looking this stuff up. I have a 9400 in a bat cave. Got about 1200 hrs on the lamp now With out the box settings. How much difference will I see with a pro callabration. How mich are they and any body recommend any body in kent. Many thanks

be well worth doing basics for starters. if just out of box. what the lamp/iris is set on, probably has no connection to your screen size vs throw you have. these determine light output and likely thats way off it needs to be. just about any setup disc has a pure white screen and a light meter will help check and make sure and setting the iris and lamp power so you have 12-16FL or nominal 14FL(50 nits) for SDR (blu-ray, dvd etc) and 30FL(100nits) for 4k HDR.

also depending what mode you running is going to impact quite a bit image seeing. my experience "natural" looked most natural for colours and skin tones for SDR. and digital cinema was best for HDR as enables the p3 colour filter to take advantage of wider colour gamut of 4k uhd

once above are set i would check both brightness and contrast to make sure you are not blowing out whites or clipping the blacks. this is easily done. again any setup disc just about will help you do this for SDR and either S&M disc or Masciola test patterns will help with this. if you dont have any test patterns id leave this well alone. colour most test discs have some reference images you can use to set colour setting.

thats all id suggest by your self and honestly anyone can do this. it will keep you going with an excellent result till can get calibrated. am sure theres a calibrator somewhere near you. i am in a different country and my calibrator didnt even come from my state. these guys tend to travel around.

Last edited:
be well worth doing basics for starters. if just out of box. what the lamp/iris is set on, probably has no connection to your screen size vs throw you have. these determine light output and likely thats way off it needs to be. just about any setup disc has a pure white screen and a light meter will help check and make sure and setting the iris and lamp power so you have 12-16FL or nominal 14FL(50 nits) for SDR (blu-ray, dvd etc) and 30FL(100nits) for 4k HDR.

also depending what mode you running is going to impact quite a bit image seeing. my experience "natural" looked most natural for colours and skin tones for SDR. and digital cinema was best for HDR as enables the p3 colour filter to take advantage of wider colour gamut of 4k uhd

once above are set i would check both brightness and contrast to make sure you are not blowing out whites or clipping the blacks. this is easily done. again any setup disc just about will help you do this for SDR and either S&M disc or Masciola test patterns will help with this. if you dont have any test patterns id leave this well alone. colour most test discs have some reference images you can use to set colour setting.

thats all id suggest by your self and honestly anyone can do this. it will keep you going with an excellent result till can get calibrated. am sure theres a calibrator somewhere near you. i am in a different country and my calibrator didnt even come from my state. these guys tend to travel around.
Thanks for the good reply will see if I can get some body round. Don’t have any of them discs

many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom