1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered a Toshiba 52"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mark_a, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Well, I've just gone and done it. Ordered a 52" Tosh, that is. After much Googling, Kelkoing and Pricerunning, I narrowed it down to 'RGB Direct' and 'Unbeatable'. Both offered the cheapest, free deliveried, price and the cheapest extended warranty. And both actually just got Toshiba to deliver direct from themselves, but ultimately RGB was all of £23 cheaper, so they got the nod. Now all I've got to do is wait for Toshiba to call in the next five days to arrange delivery. Fingers crossed.

I'm picking up a Panasonic S97 multiregion DVD player from Richer Sounds on Friday to feed the beasty. Hope it all turns out okay.

Easy come...

Regards

Mark

2. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

Good choice.

I love mine. It still impresses me every day.

3. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good choice I'd say - have had mine a few weeks and little to grumble about picture wise The HDMI is not working correctly, (with a Panasonic S97 DVD player) I am hoping that the supplier BuyYourAv will see to it.

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    In what way not working? Is it a TV thing, a player thing, or one of your machines faulty do you think?

Wonder if I should go for a Sammy 945 player instead?

Regards

Mark

5. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The S97 is not at fault - had it changed as I thought it more likely to be at fault - new S97 showed same problem. TV is at fault.

The fault is that during the playing of any DVD, there are many very short 'black outs'. Seems like the picture signal is lost momentarily, the TV reacts with a blank screen and then the signal returns right away. The problem is intermittent and not repeatable by replaying the DVD section etc. These 'black outs' also happen sometimes when just idling on a menu. Toshiba already indicated that 'the TV is not within their specs', and my supplier already acknowledged by sending me a high quality HDMI cable to try (same results).

6. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Hmmm, guess I'll stick with the Panasonic, then. I did read in a mag review that they reckoned the S97 actually gave out better pictures using prog scan component than it did over HDMI. Never having seen either in the flesh, I wouldn't know. I do know mags talk a lot of cobblers half the time just for something vaguely interesting to say instead of the more likely "it wasn't bad" that probably covers 99.99% of the things they review.

Regards

Mark

7. Les

Les
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats how I'm using it - prog scan component - very good picture 99% of time with the odd 'banding' on darkly lit scenes. I had tried using the HDMI and the pictures were as good most of the time (current problems excepted).

All in all, provided I manage to get the HDMI sorted, I am very pleased with both the Toxhiba and the S97.

8. supermackem

supermackem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    microblocking is a problem with this dvd player it can get bad sometimes but overall the pic is great over hdmi.

9. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Digital Home mag has rated Toshiba 52" at the no.1 spot. Above the sammy.

10. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Got the Tosh delivered today. Pretty damned impressive it is too. Spent some time fiddling with the settings and found that the best picture to be had was by turning the sharpness setting down to its minimum. Turning it up only seems to add grain and a white surround to text, without any real benefit.

The only other complaints I have are the speed of response, or lack of it, when cycling through the AV inputs manually. Seems to take an age to change over compared to my previous Pioneer RPTV. And I see that in 4:3 the picture edges flare out at the bottom slightly. But as I watch all 4:3 material in superview, or whatever it's called, then that's not such a big deal. Though it is annoying that Toshiba could let such a glaring mistake through their quality control. I'll have to see if I can't find an engineer's menu and see if they can't be straightened a bit.

Watching this evening's Nature Watch on BBC2, via Sky over RGB scart, the picture was fantastic. And a quick check of 'Panic Room' Superbit, via a Pany S97 set to 720p and 1040i over HDMI, produced superb pictures. Couldn't really tell the 720 and 1040 apart to be honest.

So, generally, I'm very pleased with it so far. My GF now wants to know why on earth I want a screen and projector for as well. Pah!, what do they know? :)

Regards

Mark

11. willwood

willwood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you press the ok button you can select the source as opposed to cycling through.

12. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Yes, and if you press and hold the AV input select you get the same thing.

Had a bit more viewing and have come to the conclusion that the set suffers from a problem. On scenes with rapid camera movement it seems to momentarily lose resolution and you get an odd sort of localised posterisation effect on sharp edges. The moment the camera stops movement the TV seems to catch up and the resolution kicks back in and reasserts the correct level of colour detail. The effect is more visible the poorer the source. Give it a high-end input, even as low as a high-bit rate Sky feed over RGB, and the effect is greatly diminished, being all but non-existent on non-interlaced DVD feeds over component or HDMI. Bit of an odd effect and something I've never seen before. Oh well, I guess once Sky high def kicks in it will more or less go away for day to day viewing.

Regards

Mark

13. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160

sounds like either rainbows or motion blur ?
    both a "feature" of dlp technology :eek:

:D