1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just ordered a Sharp LC26GA3E :)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jul 3, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered the Sharp LC26GA3E from Richer Sounds for £799, cant god damn wait for the delivery now! :thumbsup:
    It was a toss-up between the Sharp and the Samsung LE26R51BD. Both the same price and both had the same connections. Only the Samsung had an HDMI socket and the Sharp had the DVI socket. What swayed it for me was the cover plan, whereas Currys was around £240 for 3 years, Richer Sounds were £80 for 3 years without the accidental insurance, but I'm overly careful with my electrical entertainment toys! :D

Anyone else here got the Sharp LC26GA3E ? And have any tips/stories for when mine arrives!?
    And also, if anyone thinks I made the wrong decision against the Samsung, tell me, I dont mind, I like hearing others opinions :)

Cheers guys, Mark.

2. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It`s definatly a better set than the samsung, image quality wise and you shouldn`t experience screen tearing at 720p @ 60hz either like the samsung does. Only downside i`ve heard is it doesn`t like some 1080i inputs, so if you are planning on buying a dvd player than can upscale to 1080i, make sure it`s compatible first. I`ve heard the samsung player works well with this set.

I was considering buying this set the other day for £750 but decided against as i think a 32inch would suit me better and would prefer to wait to see what the new sharp and sony models are like first.

3. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Random, I managed to download the panels manual just now and studied it in detail, its interesting to find the manual or even internet websites dont refer to this panel as being HD Ready. Understandably it does not have an HDMI socket but a DVI socket that supports HD inputs instead. Even though some panels including my Sharp dont have HDMI to carry sound, surely 'to-be-released' equipment like Sky and next gen consoles will have digital audio outputs for connection to the panel or even a surround sound system. I think HD capable panels - not just HDMI equiped panels - should be categorised as HD Ready.

M.

4. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    This set came out a while back, so advertising it as HD ready would be abit pointless as no would know what is it. The general public still haven`t grasped RGB scart, so explaining HD would be a different matter. If the GA3 had recently come around this time, they might of advertised as HD ready as i`ve seen other sets with dvi advertised as HD ready.

But to display the hd ready logo on the tv, it needs to do 720p @ 50/60hz and 1080i @ 50/60hz with a HDMI input. Sharps new panels are out next month and offer hdmi, so i`m sure they will be displaying the hd ready logo.

5. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It arrived this morning! :thumbsup: Absolutely over the moon with the Panel and cant wait to test everything out, ie, DVI to PC and Component to DVD etc...just need to buy the cables now! :D So far everything has gone smoothly, no dead pixels as far as I can see and I was a little surprised to see it was Black in colour when I opened the box, on closer inspection the box does state Sharp LC26GA3E-B. However, this has not bothered me in the slightest but one thing did cross my mind was - is there any other differences between the Black and Silver? A certain much talked about thing is the speakers on the LC26GA3E and LC26GA4E models and although Im not going to attempt it, I "think" the speakers are removable from the bottom off the screen. Whereas the LC26GA4E speakers are on the side I still think there is a possibility the LC26GA3E speakers could me removed too. A good thing to email Sharp about if anyone needs to know. Additionally I ordered the Panel from Richer Sounds and although I cannot fault their service one bit, if you order any large items from Richer over the website, your confirmation email will state the courier (probably City-Link) and instructions to track your order on their website 3 days after orderding with a reference number. I didnt receive a referecne number and thinking the delivery would not be until after the 3rd day and hopefully receive a delivery time. I almost went out the house to do things, its lucky I didnt because City Link turned up on the 3rd day with a big box :D So beware, your item may be delivered earlier than the email instructions states.

All in all, very chuffed and dont think I'll ever consider CRT's again.

R.I.P CRT's.

P.S, if anyone wants me to write an indepth review about the panel then just shout and I'll post one up.

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice :)

Hope you enjoy it!

7. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I`m still umming and arhhing over this set. Having seen the dvd of ice age running on it, the picture was fantastic, had an almost 3d feel to it. Still dabating whether to wait for the new sharp out in a couple of months or not. Decisions, decisions.

8. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know exactly what you mean, I could of gone on forever delaying and choosing a panel. Putting it off until next month, or the next, or the next - Its a mad cycle. But take the plunge, just buy your favourite of the top 3 or 5 sets you have been looking at, if you dont buy your favourite you will feel as though you have brought second best and will always say "what if". To be truthful, you would have to be over-the-top or picky when deciding between panels, as long as you stick to a repritable make, they all have good picture qualities. And in an ideal world, we would setup our favourite screens next to eachother, playing the same DVD with the same high quality cables in a well light room. And only then - after playing with their settings - could you really decide on the best panel. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to do this, especially in your local Currys or Comet. :)

It all down to personal taste.

Good luck deciding.

M.

9. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Congrats Neoglow, Ive had my 26GA3E for the past 7 months and its been awesome for me.

Now, first thing you should get is a upscaling DVD player with DVI, like the Samsung HD745. £100. Bargain DVD playback at 720p/1080i and SACD too!!!

10. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi danvitale, another forum-goer with the same panel :)

Im glad you brought up the subject of Upscaling DVD players, do all upscaling DVD players have DVI / HDMI aswell as Component and Scart etc? The only reason I ask is it seems most things coming out now, ie, Amps, DVD players, Panels etc are all going to have Digital connections and whereas many CRT's and LCDs come with 2 or more Scart sockets, it will be a long time before panels come with 2 or more DVI or HDMI sockets. So I'm on the hunt for a Switcher, now I was looking at a component switcher but I have been swayed slightly towards a DVI switcher, these seem to be few and far between and quite pricey, can anyone give me some advice and/or recommend a DVI switcher.

An upscaled 720p or 1080i picture would be awesome...

M.

11. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    interested in this lcd - but...
    does it display input from a pc at native resolution via the vga input? - any owners done this?

12. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I believe it does do a 1:1 pixel map by what i read on previous threads. Haven`t got it my self though so can`t tell you 1st hand. It`s a shame more folks aren`t replying to these threads as i know theres quite a few on here which have the GA series TV.

13. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dsb - I presume using a DVI cable from the PC would allow me to do the same things as a VGA connection, such as resolution changes etc... (DVI would give a sharper picture.) I have just ordered a Lindy DVI cable to connect to my PC, should be here Monday or Tuesday, will do some tests and post the results, I may have to download Powerstrip for my ATI card also. In the meantime, has anyone else tested this panel with a PC in its native resolution?

PS, when you say native resolution, do you mean 1366 x 768?

M.

14. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    HDMI is not a requirement for the HD Ready logo. DVI with HDCP will also do, if all the other requirements are met. The crucial part is the HDCP - without it, no HDTV in digital form.

15. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, from experience a lot of lcds do the native res via DVI but not vga - i only have the one dvi output on my graphics card and like to use that for the main monitor - so i'm hoping that vga will do it too.

16. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114

Hello Neoglow again, sorry for my late reply.

The Samsung HD upscaling DVD players come with Scart, Component and DVI or HDMI. For example, I have the HD745 (£100), which is DVI, and the HDMI version is the HD945 and is an extra £50.

Now, I have that player connected to my Sharp via DVI, but I also have it connected via component too. I also have connected via component my PS2 and soft modded Xbox. All three are connected to my Sharp via a 3 into 1 component splitter I bought from Lik Sang for £15 (I think it was).

The only other bit of kit Ive got plugged into my Sharp is my Sky+, looping through my Philips HDRW720 DVD recorder, going into the RGB Scart.

The Samsung upscaling DVD players are great value for money. £100 for 720p/1080i with DVDRW (- or +) playback with SACD thrown in. Nice stopgap till the next gen players come out.

17. MikeyUC

MikeyUC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these sets from Richer Sounds at the weekend and am chuffed to bits with it. :thumbsup:

The picture quality is excellent even with our crappy analogue input, but I particularly like the build quality and subtleness of the set, it does however make the rest of the living room look a bit shabby in comparison.

I have connected it to a HTPC that I am building, using a VGA cable (graphics card with DVI output is on the shopping list), there are a number of modes for connecting a PC, one of them is direct one to one pixel mapping, mine is currently set up to just stretch the image to fit the screen, which I think looks pretty good.
    I also have a Nebular digital tv card, but haven’t had a good test of this as yet as we seem to be having digital reception problems at the moment, especially with ITV / C4. :confused:

18. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered one too - i decided that the new ga6 would be costing a lot more than this one even if it does turn out to be a bit better.
    also. the dvi input is useful to me now while HDMI would be for the future.
    i just want to watch all the hi def ts files i downloaded of movies and tv shows now!
    gladiator first i think, followed by forbidden planet :)

19. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Danvitale, when you say 'next-gen' players do you mean dedicated High Defintion players rather than the current upscaling players. Is 'upscaling' a way of giving a High Defintion image from a 'non-High Defintion source'? In other words not a true High Def picture?

dsb and MikeyUC, are your sets Silver or Black, only wondering since mine is Black and according to Sharp Service, the black models were limited edition. I have been in contact with Sharp Service - or Sharpserv - since my left speaker on the front stopped working and it tended to power-down to standby if the volume was increased too much. Was very very annoyed when it happened - my brand new panel :( - but its currently in the hands of Sharps Service team and will hopefully be back Wednesday. Hope no-one else has a prob with their 26GA3E.

Finally, where is a good place to download HD trailers/clips/teasers etc to play on my LCD and heres a little question : on another thread someone asked if a HD clip could be burnt onto a DVD/CD an played on a DVD player in HD, the obvious answer is no since you will be connecting via Component or Scart, however, if you put the burnt disc into an upscaling DVD player via DVI would you get the same or better image than playing the HD clip from the PC?

M.

20. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Yep, that's exactly what he means.
    Windows Media Video HD site Click here
    Forget about putting these clips onto DVD for playing on a DVD player - wipe it from your mind! These are high-def video files, encoded using the Windows Media codec, that require some serious PC processing power to display them. A regular DVD player will not handle them, regardless of which connection method is used and whether the player upscales or not. There are a few new players on the horizon which have a new chip fitted which can handle WMVHD playback (with the necessary sound format conversion as well), notably the long-awaited model from KISS. Have to ask though whether it's worth paying out the money for one of these just to play HD clips and the few full length WMVHD DVD movies that are available (though to be fair the KISS in particular does have some other interesting features).

21. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so...
    anyone know where to get a cheap bracket for this screen?
    when i ordered this from the richer sounds site i was offered a bracket and took it - only for it to arrive today, and have 'for 15-21"' on the box - so why offer it to me!?

they said not to worry, we can sell you this £130 bracket - jokers!

22. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isnt there a 'specific' bracket for many screens including the Sharp, I think its called 'Vesa'? There is also Sharp acessories available... http://www.sharp.co.uk/howtobuy/accessories/accessories.asp?model=LC26GA3E

Mark.

23. dsb

dsb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is... but that's £150!
    i really dont want anything fancy - just a simple bracket to hold it in place, no gymnastics required.