1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just ordered a samsung d500 :)

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by SILVERBACK, Dec 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i was originally going for a V3 but after doing a bit of research it doesnt look like the most user friendly of phones and this new samsung looks awesome.i will have one by monday hopefully so will give a full review :)

2. Jamp

Jamp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will look forward to your review. Could you comment on battery life once you've gone through a few cycles please?

Cheers,

Ben

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
  4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    got it today :) and after 12 months with a p900 i cant believe how much is crammed into it,its tiny.first thing that hits you is the screen the display is 256k and beats the other phones i have (p900 apart) by a country mile i cant explain how nice the display is:) its lovely.buttons feel nice and giuve you a nice feel when pressed so theres no gues work on wether you pressed them or not.the only problem i have so far is the directional dpad,with having big hands the up key is a little hard to use and while the other 3 keys can be used with my thumb the up key is a fingertip job.not had time to give it a full going over but so far im very happy and impressed by whats on offer.oh and the bluetooth is a doddle to set up :)

5. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    is the unit black as pictured on the orange site?

there were some rumours that orange were shipping the silver version..

gonna order one today probably if I can confirm it's black

might just look in the orange shop at lunch time :)

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    no its not black its a charcoal grey colour but NOT silver.the pic isnt black on the orange site mate thats the charcoal i have and by all accounts the black is a nightmare for showing up scratches and greasy marks.i did want the black version but i got the phone for free and the charcoal colour is really quite nice.let me know if you need any more help ;)

7. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks for the reply, think i'll order it.

it's free and 5 months half price line rental (via rebates) on your plan crossnet 200 at e2save.

so 200 mins x network, plus 200 evening x network, plus 1,000 evening texts to use within first 6 months. all for £15 for first 5 months then £30 for remaining 7. Are you aware of any better offers?

8. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I originally ordered one from onestopphoneshop but after a week of "we are expecting to send this to yuo tomorrow" and finding the better deal at e2save I cancelled and ordered from them. Just hope this arrives next week as promised.....

9. ADC

ADC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have posted this question in a seperate thread but i'll ask it here as well. Is it possible to personalize the text alert on this phone as i cant seem to figure it out. Or can you only use the tones pre installed into the phone?????. I can personalize the phone ring tone but not the text tone.

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i dont think you can asign a mp3 to it mate i will have a look at mine now just to make sure though.

11. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    g'day,

dunno if you were interested in the same tarrif as me or not?

anyway, just to let you know..

mobileshop.com have stock of it now! , but the deals aren't quite as good, but i ordered anyway just because they have stock, the offers aren't far off though

mine was orange 200,

200 x network, 200 x net evening 4 life, 1,000 evening txts use within first 6 months, 4 months half price line rental (3 months by orange on the first 3 bills, 4th by rebate from mobileshop.com on 5th and 9th months £7.5 each time).

only benefit of e2save was 5 months half price (instead of 4), but no stock. so it cost me £15 more from mobileshop but at least i've got one and the deal ain't bad!

another benefit is the first 3 months half price are on your bill, at e2save it's (the 5 months half price) by rebates of sending the 6th and 12th bill each time and you get £34,5 each time (but I hear you say £34,5x2 != £15x£5 , probably a mistake on the website...). anyway, better off with mobileshop.com imo as you're only relying on them to cough up with rebates worth £15.

12. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    e2save have stock - they delivered mine yesterday

great phone :smashin:

13. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just ordered one with e2save, 23.50 per month,9.99 for the phone.
    Early Jan is expected delivery,hopefully GSM stock so I can use my o2 account.
    Got one the other week but returned it, so used to SE phones, but gonna persevere.

14. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Charlie, is it vodafone branded ? And locked.

15. yaserk99

yaserk99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there mate i have got the Samsung D500 myself but if i was you i would go for the SonyErricsson S700I OR THE NOKIA 6630. The only decent thing about the D500 is the Slide mechanism. if you want to transfer files via bluetooth it does not let you. i am trying to get rid of mine for a SonyEricsson S700i meself. Thats my advice mate AND THE BATTERY LIFE IS CRAP CRAP CRAP NOKIA ALL DAY LONG OR SONY ERICSSON

16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    why are you comparing 2 symbian phones to a standard phone?bit unfaur dont you think.

what about the size of it for a 1.3megapixel phone? the slide is gorgeous though i agree there.the screen is also worth mentioning at how nice it is.

i am trying to get rid of mine for a SonyEricsson S700i meself. Thats my advice mate AND THE BATTERY LIFE IS CRAP CRAP CRAP NOKIA ALL DAY LONG OR SONY ERICSSON[/QUOTE]

and if you think the battery is bad on the d500 wait till you use the sony s700i ;) :laugh: agree with you on nokia though the battery power is beter on most of theres.just for the record my d500 batters the old sony p900 i had for battery life.

17. yaserk99

yaserk99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Dont Think Any Manufacturer Will Reach The Standard Nokia Have Set In Every Department. I Can Honestly Say That Bar The Camera And The Small Screen ( Therefore Poorer Quality) The Nokia 6230 Is Better Than The D500. From My Point Of View I Feel Nokia Mean Business While Samsung Are Just Releasing Flash Handsets With No Great features although the multi shot mode is something very original from them. im still not convinced by my D500 Therefore I Am Getting Rid Of It Having Only Had It For 3 Weeks And Getting The Nokia 6670.

18. EnigmaCode

EnigmaCode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    forget about the s700. there are too many of them returned to the supplier because of faults with the phone, bugs, and poor performance. many disatisfied customers.
    are sony ericsson ever going to make a decent phone that isn't heavily bug ridden and only looks good on paper? they are never likely to get rid of their bad reputation if they carry on as they are :( .

19. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    eh?the last 2 years worth of nokia phones have been nothing short of ****.there top end business phone 8910i was a overpriced joke the 7250i screen was one of the worse i have seen and i could go on.nokia use to be great and did indeed lead from the front but that just isnt true anymore.there latest phones are suppose to be a lot better than last years attempts though but they have the likes of SE 700I SE P910 etc to com[pete with now.

you missed out IMO as if you go by the reviews you will find its just another nokia with little to shout about.

From
    if you wanted a smartphone then why did you get a normal phone in the first place ? and by nokia meaning busines do you mean there phones with all the flashing lights on when you get a call ;) :laugh:

imho nokia really did lose it after the great phones of the 8850,7110.they just didnt keep up the standard at which they had set and while nokia got lazy at only having siemans and ericsson as its main contenders the likes of samsung sony and panasonic where sneaking up on them.i remember when i got my pana gd87 and my mate got the 7250,god how i laughed as he swicthed his tiny screen on lmao.to some extent even the likes of sagem have better screens than nokia had.take a look at the screen on a myx7 its quite something for such a smaller phone producing company.

20. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had my d500 for about a week or so - it's the best phone I've ever had, it's fantastic!

and I have no problems transferring files to/from it to my PC and Pocket PC. Including images and MP3s.

21. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Returned my s700i today, no complaints about it, but its just my k700i but with a better camera, and I've got a decent digi camera so.... was gonna change it for the D500, but can I get one, can I heck !! Tried EVERYWHERE, in Durham and Darlington.Decided to get it sim free, on o2 or Orange (got the unlock code for orange, mate works for them :clap: ) £329, not a bad price.

22. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    yeah there in short suplly at the min and have been since they released it.the only problem i hate is having a phone thats "to popular" and thats why im still tempted to get a V3 just to stand out lol.hope you enjoy the d500 i know i do ;) and that footie game is very addictive on it imo.

23. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't see the point in sim free, I got mine for free on conract, so for less money (£300 total for the year) I got the phone, 200mins x net anytime, 200 mins x net offpeak, and 1,000 evening texts to use within the first 6 months.

I don't get it?

And of course if you're a heavier user it works out even better...(cos you get a larger rebate i.e. more half price months)..

24. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    PS mobileshop.com still have stock on Orange

25. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Already halfway thro my currant contract, £35 per month. Don't really fancy another £25 per month coming out of my account......and the wife will whinge :lesson: I always get my phones on contract,its interest free credit really, but I've got the cash in my pocket so what the heck, I'll only waste it otherwise, and few more month down the line...... I'll get the latest phone again.....interest free :laugh:

26. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yeah, still showing in-stock , but can you trust them ? Probs get right thro the form, as they do, then get an email saying out of stock as e2save did

27. mathew

mathew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    yea, their stock reading is live. i've used them for every phone i've bought since i was 18 or so :) really good to deal with.

got mine from there just before christmas, was dispatched within 36 hours and arrived next day (23rd dec).

28. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sod it, think I'll go for it then :-~)

29. fest

fest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

On the Orange Samsung D500 is there a setting to remove the menu bar from the home page which they insist on whacking onto all of their handsets?

Also what are the screen dimensions of the D500?

My partner has just got the Orange SPV C500 and it is quite impressive however while in the shop I did like the feel of the glide open action of the Samsung. The screen on the spv is large and I cannot remember if the d500 was smaller or the same.

Thanks.

30. philst68i

philst68i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    cheers Mathew, ordered it last night, getting delivered tomorrow :clap:

and just sweet talked my wife why another £25 will be coming out of our account :devil:

Out of interest, never found it on the orange site, after first 6 months, whats the lowest line rental you can drop it down to ?
    Lets hope my unlock code works (to put in my o2 sim)....... anyone want it when I get it ?