Just ordered a Philips DVD recorder - what blank discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by RMCF, Aug 2, 2005.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    I have a Philips DVDR70 recorder on its way, and was wondering about which blank media would be the best to buy.

I believe it uses the DVD-R format, but I have seen some that say 4.7GB DATA on them (eg Maxell) - can these be used for recording TV/Film on to? Also, some media seem to have different speeds listed. Does it matter?

Can anyone advise on best media to use and where to get it? Don't know whether its OK to go for a large spindle of discs or buy big brand ones. Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Philips DVD recorders use DVD+RW and DVD+R. Some of the new models also support DVD-RW, DVD-R now - but the R70 is not one of these. Your recorder uses 4.7GB discs (you cannot use the new 8.5GB discs in it) but whether these are marked for 'Video' or 'Data' makes little real world difference to you.

You may need to goto the Philips website and update your firmware before you can use the faster speed discs.

3. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  4. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Rasczak, you say that it doesn't really matter which media I use. Does this mean that I can buy discs as cheap as this:

http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=17465&cat=266&page=1

or should I buy branded ones from the likes of Philips, Sony, Maxell, Verbatim etc. I have read in the past that quite often you can end up with coasters due to incompatible discs, so I would rather spend a bti extra rather than waste discs.

Also, do you know what speed of disc my player will support without a firmware upgrade? This might be a stupid question, but if I buy 8x discs and my player only supports 4x, will they still not work but only at the slower rate??

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The discs should work - although some cheap discs will be incompatible with your recorder - many online companies offer 'trial packs' so you can find which cheap media works best with your machine. Longevity though is a different issue! IMHO if you want to archive something you should always opt for branded media as this tends to be of a reasonable quality. But bear in mind that all DVDR are a relatively fragile medium - thus you should consider using a PC to make backup copies. See this guide.

Your recorder will only ever record things at 1x speed - but the drive may not be compatible with 8x media until you have upgraded the firmware (it may already be upgraded!).

6. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +735
    Rasczak, Again many thanks for a prompt and informative reply.

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just to add to Rasczak's information:

If you want a direct recommendation for top quality discs for your machine, then consider these:

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvdplusrw.html
    Cat no. {DV 3177} Verbatim (4x) 4.7Gb DVD+RW Disc in Spindle Tubs Of 10
    ADVDINFO: MKM A02
    SVP Price: £5.24 / Euro 7.60 inc VAT.
    Equivalent Retail Price Per Disc: 45.0p

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/dvdplusrnoprint.html
    Cat no. {DV 3211} Datawrite Ricohcode (4x) DVD+R in Spindle Tubs of 50
    ADVDINFO: .RICOHJPNR01
    SVP Price: £8.99 / Euro 13.04 inc VAT.
    Equivalent Retail Price Per Disc: 18.0p

These slower speed discs should work with your firmware, since 4x discs were out around the time of the DVDR70 release. However, to find what your firmware is (when you get the machine), follow this procedure:

Go to 'System menu'
    Select 'Tools'
    Move to 'Remote' icon
    A single <RIGHT> cursor press (highlights "Remote control used" (don't go into the box that says "DVD recorder")
    Press DOWN cursor key.
    A load of text appears...

Second line from bottom of text should have the 'ffxxxx' - the firmware version.

8. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would strongly recommend this. I just got a DVDR615 (a week ago) direct from Philips and the firmware was the original release version which had been superceded 4 times. The RF loopthrough didn't work, amongst other niggly problems. A quick fw upgrade to the latest version put everything right.

9. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would strongly recommend this. I just got a DVDR615 (a week ago) direct from Philips and the firmware was the original release version which had been superceded 4 times. The RF loopthrough didn't work, amongst other niggly problems. A quick fw upgrade to the latest version put everything right.

I use the Ridisc 4x overprint +RW's from SVP which cost £3.98 for 10 and are Philips discs with an overprinted label, so if these don't work, I don't know what will. They worked flawlessly in my previous Philips recorder. There is no point in buying +R's when you can get the +RW's for this price.

10. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unless he is archiving of course.

11. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    But if he were archiving he would want a high quality disc which cost much more. Whereas I would like to think that Philips +RW's would be pretty high quality and therefore well suited to archiving. Or something. ;)

Incidentally, how do others here preserve their recordings?

12. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm afraid I would counsel caution about automatically upgrading the firmware on a legacy Philips machine. The 61x series were more buggy on release than the 7x's and certainly needed a firmware update; however there are several reports of firmware updates for 98x and 7x machines failing and it may not be straightforward. In a few extreme cases machines have been apparently broken immediately after the upgrade. The whole Philips upgrade business is a bit of a shambles, since Philips never released details of what was apparently changed by the upgrade anyway. It's difficult to justify doing so unless something specific, like not handling faster rated discs, is apparent.

Interesting view. Some may not consider price to be the sole factor in making a choice between +RW and +R.

13. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have seen someone mention this on Club CD Freaks but it refers to a thread in another forum that does not exist anymore. Unfortunately, the problems with the DVDR70/75 range was more hardware-related, like the 88x/98x/1000 ranges before it. These included laser, digital video and audio board failures. The 61x range appears to be more stable.

Yeah, I agree. But when you're getting a Philips rebranded +RW for about a third of what you'd pay for branded +R discs, I think price is a major factor in this case.

14. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The 'old forum' is that of the technically defunct DVDplusRW site, but this has been thankfully preserved and re-indexed as a searchable static database on the CD Freaks site here. I suggest you spend some time reading through, and you'll find there's many threads with useful information about Philips DVDRs covering the last four years.

A bold generalisation which ignores the apparent reported differences between the product lines. Accepting the inevitable bias of forum reporting, I don't see how anyone could compare the scale of the problems encountered with the 8x0 and 1x00 series with the relatively fewer reports of faults with the 7x's. The 61x units are more stable since they don't have an OPU lens cement which rots in a matter of months.

Remember that firmware affects hardware - altering the laser power, for example.

The +Rs I linked to are Ricoh dye, one of the highest quality available. If you look they're less than half the price (18p) of the Mitsubishi dye +RW (45p).

15. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I am using Verbatim & Sony DVD+RW in my philips dvdr75, they work perfectly, after many rewrites.
    The 10 datawrite DVD+RW overprints I purchased would never record the full capacity (failed near the edge) and after about 10 rewrites failed completely, they caused me endless problems.
    The original firmware in the machine works perfectly, it it ain't broke, don't fix it!