1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just need advice setting up an amp please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by tony kop77, Mar 26, 2004.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I recently purchased a Denon 2803 and would like to know if it is recomended that the volume is turned up to maximum on all the speakers or should they only the speakers that need turning up be adjusted?
    I only adjusted the back speakers slightly because I was hearing the front speakers ok but the back speakers were a bit quiet. I think I have front speakers on 0db and the back on 2db.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You're on the right track Set the speakers up with the internal test tones so they all sound the same level from your seating position. + or - a couple of DB's on the rears is normal.

If you want to get (much) more accurate, borrow an SPL meter and go from there. :)

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Think I will buy a sound meter tomorow. I was not sure if I am doing it right or if I had to put the speakers on the highest output and low the sound on any of the speakers should I need to.
    I thought putitng sound on each speaker to its highest would make the set up even louder and I would not have to have it on -20db to enjoy a film.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Better to turn up the volume on the amp to say -20db or higher, than up all the db levels of the speakers IMO. Keep the main/centre speakers @ 0db (my centre is +1db higher) and tweak the rears to suit.