1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just moved - help to re-set-up my wireless network please

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by shoehorn, Sep 1, 2005.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

I've just moved house and thought my wireless network would be easy to set up, but I can't seem to make it work!

I had NTL broadband straight into a Linksys WRT54G-UK, wireless broadand router, from the NTL set-top box.
    Then I had two wireless PC's that shared the broadband, and a network drive with each other.
    I also had a Pinnacle Showcentre and a Netgear MP101, all wireless.

I've got to wait another few weeks for my NTL to be connected, but thought that the wireless network I had would simply replicate itself once I turned everything on - I have changed nothing on the PC's.

So, I turn on the Linksys, then the PC's, they say they are searching for wireless networks, but find nothing...

The only difference from my last house is that the NTL is not feeding the Linksys router, yet.....

I haven't bothered with my Showcentre or MP101...

Am I missing something straightforward...?? :lease:

Thanks for any help/thoughts/ideas. :)

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Can you receive Broadband through the NTL cable modem? If not it may be that the MAC address needs registering with the NTL region you have moved to.

3. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    I'd have thought it should all work as you say (the wireless side of things)

how far away is the router from the PCs? have you tried setting up the router in the same room just to establish if you can get the wireless going? it could be the new house causing problems with wireless reception...

4. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My NTL internet connection is not live for another few weeks - I just wanted to set up my network so I could share files and media (Showcentre and MP101).

5. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One PC is 10 yards (one wall) and the other is 15 and 2 walls.... house is 1930's - I thought it would be OK, maybe those walls are thicker than I thought!
    I'll power up the router in the same room as a PC tonight and see what happens....

6. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well - I moved the router into the same room as one of my PC's and both found it no problem at all - network restored!
    Put it back where I want it (or rather where the Mrs wants it!) and it couldn't be found again.
    Looks like I might go for hard wiring (expensive!?!), unless anyone knows how I can boost the signal?
    Thanks.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    a decent add-on antenna should sort you out... is the antenna detachable on your linksys?

looks like it is from the spec...?

an antenna up to the job would probably cost you £25..

the 7.8 db antenna here
    should be enough if you can get it to pass WAF :)

(you'll need an adapter with that for your router, the ADAP-RTNCPRSMAS here .... if i've got the male/female stuff the right way round..? ask Solwise if you're not sure, they know their stuff inside out.

maybe worth calling them anyway, they'll know better than me if than Ant. would cope with the two walls...

8. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I bought this one http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?bn=10280 for £15 it is nearly 3 times as powerful @ 6dba, and not oly has improved my Wi-Fi but I can now see several other peoples wirless routers, Its amazing how many people are leaving unsecured Wi-Fi/internet access wide open, so beware!