• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just moved from AV9 to AV888 - issues...

voles

Established Member
Hi

Well I haven't had it 24 hours yet but I have some problems that the manual can't help with:

Can you reconfigure an input to a different remote button? The issue is that my Sky HD has coax audio, my TV has optical and the inputs are reversed name-wise on AV888. This was easy to fix on the AV9 but there is no obvious solution on the AV888. Am I stuck with pressing AV for SKy and Sat for TV in other words?

Zone 2 is in standby and grayed out in the menu. How do I bring it to life?

Can anyone help?

Apart from these initial niggles I am pleased with it. The auto setup was good at getting me going (despite putting the crossover at 40 hertz) and the result with a couple of small tweaks sounds very good. I will do it all again when everything is up and running.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Am I stuck with pressing AV for SKy and Sat for TV in other words?
Yes. This useful AV9 feature has been removed. You could reconfigure the remote to switch the buttons, but since the remote will then conflict with the AV888's front panel buttons, I rather suspect it will make things worse.
Zone 2 is in standby and grayed out in the menu. How do I bring it to life?
Press the Zone button on the front panel to select zone 2, then press the power button on the remote. In the long term you will want to connect a separate IR receiver to the second zone's IR In to avoid these contortions.

voles

Established Member
Yes. This useful AV9 feature has been removed. You could reconfigure the remote to switch the buttons, but since the remote will then conflict with the AV888's front panel buttons, I rather suspect it will make things worse.

That might do it but I don't know how. Slightly shocked that feature is not available the AV9 to be honest!

Press the Zone button on the front panel to select zone 2, then press the power button on the remote. In the long term you will want to connect a separate IR receiver to the second zone's IR In to avoid these contortions.

That worked thanks a lot!

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Remapping the remote control is explained in the manual. Since it's a lengthy, awkward and messy procedure, I'll just leave you to read the manual and curse the complexity. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it - you'll get used to having the labels "slightly" wrong - after all, the remote has other issues with inadequate labeling and awkward positioning of crucial features. In the end, a universal programmable remote is the best way to go.

voles

Established Member
Remapping the remote control is explained in the manual. Since it's a lengthy, awkward and messy procedure, I'll just leave you to read the manual and curse the complexity. Frankly, I don't think it's worth it - you'll get used to having the labels "slightly" wrong - after all, the remote has other issues with inadequate labeling and awkward positioning of crucial features. In the end, a universal programmable remote is the best way to go.

Now I am considering giving up and putting Sky back on optical and the TV back on analogue. The trouble is was so surprised by the near perfect lip sync with the sky coax connection when they moved to it.

Are you talking about something like a Pronto remote - which one do you use might I ask?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Are you talking about something like a Pronto remote - which one do you use might I ask?
Logitech Harmony. It's very popular over here, perhaps because Logitech is a Swiss company. The Pronto seems popular in UK and should work just fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom