1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST mode question (TH42PWD6).

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by docjan_uk, Aug 21, 2004.

1. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, another query...

Browsing through a few more threads and read a few things that made me wonder...
    Going to connect a component switching receiver with component cables to the panny plasma.
    The DVD will be connected through component to the receiver, however the sky box which outputs RGB will have to be connected to the component input on the receiver with some kind of RGB component convertor.
    The VCR then will be connected to the reciever with some kind of composite lead with scart at one end and a composite end that fits into the receiver on the other.

Question: Will there be a problem with aspect ratios when watching between DVD's and SKY?
    I would intend to leave it in JUST mode all the time for Sky broadcasts... does this mean that any 4:3 broadcast on sky would be in JUST mode and any DVD movie or widescreen program on sky that I watched would automatically switch to 16:9?

Does anyone with a TH42PWD6 have the answer to this?

2. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally I would connect your devices direcly to the screen for the image part and use tos optical connects for audio to the receiver,

as quite a lot of sky is in true 16:9, in your case the thing to do would be to set the screen to "panasonic auto" with the 4:3 setting configured to "just" this way any 4:3 content will switch to "just" and any 16:9 content will switch to 16:9 whether from DVD or Sky,

also a good scart connection for sky is pretty great pic quality wise (just make sure sky scart output is set to RGB) I can't see the point spending money on a converter, I dont think you will get a better quality image, just my opinion.

I would buy a component module for your screen and save it for your DVD set to prog scan, that's about it.

If you are looking to control it all together simply, then you could invest in a universal remote with macro functions.

Spook

3. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, interesting stuff...
    So if I got a scart board on the plasma along with the component board, I could plug in the scart lead from the skybox directly into the plasma and it should accept RGB... only problem is that the skybox we have now doesnt have an optical link to send out audit, it just has an analogue line input, you know... those red and white sockets... that shouldnt be a problem for surround sound etc right?

Also I really havent checked any of the sky box functions as yet to see if the scart into the TV could be set RGB, but the scart into the VCR from the sky box could be set to composite (I guess thats automatic?)..
    Your idea sounds sound... there shouldnt be issues with audio having lag compared to picture should there?
    Urm... hmm, your idea would also mean the TV Will automatically switch ratios since its plugged in via scart too!

4. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep, I have 1 x component and 2 x scart boards in my PWD6 and all switch ratios automatically,
    component output in prog scan mode directly into the screen from my Panny DRME55 DVD is stunning, I havent noticed any problems with audio sync problems, I think panasonic have addressed this problem pretty well with the latest plasmas,

might be worth upgrading to Sky+, it has tos optical output, great for 5.1 with Sky Movies, btw Sky+ does actually record the full 5.1 soundtrack along with the movie ;o)

Spook

5. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well... played around with the sky box and it does indeed send out via RGB.. infact the reason we wanted to replace our TV was because it kept turning on and off, switching to RGB path seems to have bypassed faulty circuitry and the TV is now FIXED!!!!
    ARGH!
    Still, it could be shifted off as a secondary TV.
    Perhaps well upgrade to Sky + in a year or so.. the subscription is free if we get another premium channel but the 200 pound box is a little steep considering we wouldnt really use it to its full at this present moment... model the package around the use, not the use around the package ;).

So do you know if this line audio red and white connector does 5.1?
    It outputs in stereo.. im pretty sure that means surround :\.

6. dogma6

dogma6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    nope

you only get 5.1 surround from a digital output, the red & white ones are analogue

7. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... so is there some kind of scart that will allow me to send RGB to the plasma direct, but has a cable along with the other end of the scart that lets me plug into a receiver for full surround?
    Or it looks like well have to wait for sky plus for that grr... unless theres another digibox on the market that does optical out for sound?!!
    All these equipment limitations are really frustrating.

8. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bah!
    Some research shows that the Sky + boxes are the only ones with 5.1 optical outputs, and discontinued sony boxes that used to have optical out were never 5.1 enabled anyway.
    I guess Sky surround sound will have to wait untill an upgrade to Sky+.

9. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys, this is the plan Ive drawn up for all the connections and types of connections... and the mode the screen will be on.
    I assume it shouldnt have problems switching between DVD input and Sky input when I turn on the Sky box or DVD respectively.
    Ideally Id like a Sky + box in the future so I can get optical 5.1 output into the AV receiver instead of stereo.
    Generally this seems the best setup in terms of cost, boards and convenience in terms of switching and modes the panny can go into.

The only question I have now is how on earth does the AV receiver know to play the Sky or VCR audio when the image is being transmitted directly to the scart board on the monitor? :rolleyes: .
    I can get my head around it playing the audio for the DVD when it outputs component and optical into the receiver at the same time... :rolleyes:
    I suppose when it has the line out sound pumping out from the sky box it will automatically play that audio through the 5.1 speakers connected up.

Attached Files:

10. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Emmm, as far as I know you'll have to tell the AV receiver which source you want it to play. e.g. input 1 (video/sky), input 2 (DVD) or input 3 (DVD-R). So - it's posible to tell the plasma to display the sky/vcr video source while telling the receiver to use the audio from the DVD!

Also - If Sky is "on" then that will take precendence over the VCR and the audio the sky box sends to the receiver will be for the sky. If it's "off" then it acts as a passive device and just passes the signals on through to the receiver - so the VCR audio is heard.

ZedZed

11. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, so I could put another line out from the VCR.. but then I would have a 3rd input to switch everytime I wanted to watch that...
    others may start to not like the extra work just to watch another unit... hmm.
    on a current test I noticed that when I turn the VCR on... even with Sky on the VCR played.. and sound was sent throgh the scart into the skybox and to the TV... I assume that the sound being sent through scart is the same line out but just through the scart pins..?
    I guess Sky will just have to be off.. or with line out from VCR to the receiver as well it would mean that you can turn sky off for audio, or switch inputs.. a little more convenient options wise.

All that blabbering aside, thanks for the help etc... this is my first foray into this type of thing and Id like to system to be as good as possible, but as uncomplicated as possible to use ;).
    Its gonna be a Denon receiver... you wouldnt know if input switching for sound is relatively easy would you?... or if its an obvious and easy function on the remote control that you can asign various inputs?

12. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  13. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm... good news, I just did a little experiment and connected up the sky box's line out audio to the corresponding connections on the front of the current TV which is routed to AV3.
    I then set the TV to AV3 so I could hear the sound output of the Sky box... as soon as I turned the VCR on and played a tape I got the sound from the VCR coming out... even if the sky box was on or off... so the line out does infact pump out the overriding signal etc...

Thanks a lot guys.. I think im pretty much sorted in the plan!
    Checked and the 1705 does indeed to upconversion and switching too.
    Now just to order the slower arriving stuff first and all the equipment... I've seen the DVD 1710 out in the UK, but I think the AVR 1705 is a week or two away even though Ive seen it in avsales.com or something.

Anyway, excellent!

14. Chakkie

Chakkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful with the Quintro Box there are serious problems when it comes to widescreen switching. I have had quite a few boxes and they fail horribly in sending the s/w switching voltage through pin 8 ! Only one box on one input switched OK. Just a warning to all.

The Keene scart commander seems to work ok where the Quintro box fails