1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Just' Mode on Panasonic

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve-j, Oct 23, 2002.

1. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How does the 'Just' mode work exactly? Am I right in thinking that for a 4:3 picture, it leaves the central portion of the picture the correct shape and only distorts the left/right edges?

More importantly, what does it do to a genuine 16:9 image?

Basically I think what I'm trying to say is if I leave the screen set to 'Just', will it display 4:3 images using the 'dirstortion only at the edge' technique and leave genuine 16:9 pictures to be displayed correctly?

I suspect it won't and will attempt to apply the 'dirstortion only at the edge' technique to the 16:9 picture and make a mess of that as well.

Knowing this should help me to decide whther to go for a JS VGA or a JS Component converter box.

-Steve

2. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, that's exactly it.

4:3 would normally have bars down the side. 16:9 fills the screen. Just would pull the sides of the 4:3 image to fit inside the 16:9 screen. Works quite well for most material.

As for VGA vs Component, yes you do get the Just mode with Component, but VGA is the slightly more sharper picture. Depends on which is the most important to you.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +660
    Steve,

If you use 'just' on a 16:9 video, it will do the same stretching and zooming that it does for a 4:3 image.

So, if you have a 'true' (anamorphic) 16:9 source and you put it in 'just' it would be zoomed and stretched, so would look wrong. You would need to MANUALLY select the 16:9 mode so that the picture is simply stretched from left-right.

On a 'normal' TV, Pin8 on the SCART would tell the TV which mode to be in.

But on a Plasma, there is no Pin8, so the it won't know.

Its going to be a case of switching between 16:9 and 'just' as and when it doesn't look right.

Most people seem to leave it in 16:9 and not use 'just'. Then 4:3 material would be "short and fat" and Widescreen normal.

4. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I choose to go with the Compent converter instead of the VGA version am I really going to notice a difference in picture quality from a viewing distance of 10-12ft on a 42" Panasconic?

Will the difference be more noticable for DVD's than for Sky/Cable?

If there really isn't going to be a difference then the decision about which converter to choose will be a lot easier to make!

-Steve

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    if you look back at the reply from symanski you will see that he says that the VGA connection gives a sharper image but not 'just mode'.

So the choice is:

Sharper picture > VGA
    Just mode > Component

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +660
    I believe that its was said that the VGA input was 'slightly' sharper.

I really don't believe that there is going to be much in it...

However, I too am interested to know, as I have a dilema about VGA and Component.

If I go down the VGA route, I am seriously tempted to give the 'Syncblaster' a go.. Its cheaper and claims to do the same job.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Have you noticed how ‘unfortunate’ Just mode can make the backsides look on some of our more pompous pop/sport/movie icons?:eek:

8. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that VGA gives a sharper picture than Component but misses out on the Just mode.

What I asked was can you really see a difference between them at a viewing distance of 10-12ft?

It is difficult to tell from a conversation exactly how big differences in picture quality are and the one factor I am trying to remove from the equation is the viewing environment. I'm sure it is very easy to rate all sorts of different qualities of the picture if your nose is virtually pressed to the screen but I think at the end of the day it's the picture under normal viewing conditions that really matters.

-Steve