1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just listened to new bose/ reccommend me some sub sat combos......

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by NewBeetle, Feb 13, 2003.

1. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Just back from local dealer where I went to enquire about a sony receiver and asked what speaker packages they sold. Showed me some of the sony sub/sats and had the mission nxt thingies, then went on to say for £550 you can get the Bose AM6 that now includes an active sub.

Now I had allways dismissed Bose as being in the trendy but crap bracket but this package really did sound good. Yes I know I will probably get slated for this but the sound really was boxless (by that I mean that you really couldn't tell where it was coming from). I have heard more powerfull sounding richer speakers for the same money, but to be perfectly honest none of them seem to image as well as the bose and create that kinda magic spatial sound.

OK, time for you guys to reccomned me some sub/sat packages, prove me wrong. I have basically no room behind where we sit to view movies (the sofa sits aginst the back wall) so whatever you reccomend needs to work well on the wall possibly the 2 side walls?

Oh yeah, may need intrest free credit too.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why should we try and convince you to disbelieve your own ears. If you've heard it and thought that it sounded good, then buy it

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hate to say it, but Ian is right. If you are happy with the sound of the Bose and haven't found anything you like more in the same price range, then buy away.

Do I think it is the best value for money? No.

Do my ears work exactly the same as yours? Probably not, and that's the more important part.

KEF Eggs may be slightly out of your price bracket, but they do sound good.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you mean boxy?

Contradicting yourself- imaging and spatial...

Alternatives- Kef Eggs, Energy 5.1. Both cheaper, better build, easier to connect to a standard av amp. Oh yeah sound better as well.

Not surprised them NHT flatpanels sound bad, delibertly compared against Bose no doubt.

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your happy to listen to just a small part of the music band-go for it.

6. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Ian J: Because I don't get chance to demo much equipment living in Cumbria and hoped I could call on peoples experience.

EvilMudge: The problem with "Haven't found anything you like more in the same price range" is that the stores for Demo round these parts are few and far between. Yes I have heard good things about the Kef Eggs, but I could do with getting to hear them somewhere (also I hear they now come with an improved sub?)

Nathan_silly: Sorry if I use the wrong HI_FI terminology but to me good imaging/spatialness means that the sound is free from the cabinets and placed into the soundstage where it should be ie: not sounding like its coming straight from the speaker box.

Will read up on the Kefs and Energy's.

The whole point of this post was to call on more peoples experiences of similar equipment not really to set off a "well if you think they are good then buy them" argument.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    new Beetle.

I have the Mission m72 set. Whilst not a sub sat, the rears are almost flat can be placed on a side wall , a rear wall, or even in the ceiling. It sounds as if our furniture is in a similar spot, so i have mine at the side about 12" down from the ceiling, directly to my left and right.

The Bi-polar diffuse effect sends out a less localised sound which I happen to like, although I never tested a direct rear speaker.

In my opinion, they sound a lot like the type of surround effects that my local Cineworld cinema has, creating an elusive sound field that can fill the room. I think its called a holosonic sound stage.

the fronts and rears are great, and at present until AV room complete I am running it sans sub.

Just £282.00 from ,

www.unbeatable.co.uk

stands were £60 from local dealer

I hope this helps.

captain B.

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi

For your M72 set, which center speaker do you use? Is it the M7C1. If so this looks quite a flat speaker that should be easy to place. Also can you place the M72 right next to the wall?

Thanks

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    If your Cineworld is anything like the Cineworld's I've been too ... it's called "just too damn loud". :eek:

Victoria

10. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    NB, I don't see a problem with "imaging" and "spatial" living together, I know exactly what you're getting at.

Mike.

11. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Very helpful - turn it into a semantic argument.

Why is this such a contradiction?

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, if he wants to buy Bose rubbish, then go for it. Cheap build quality, expensive, bad sound.

Imaging- stereo perception that the two speakers are working, but one does not bring attention to itself, or does it make it too mushy like dipoles.

Spatial- wide spread of sound, perhaps too much (ie front/back because of Bose 4 point surround) I am sure Bose emply a bipole/dipole arrangement which fills the room- but it makes everything mushy. Lack of midrange & upper frequencies as well.

Sinc Bose do not give out frequency specs, one techical guy tested them- 14khz upper range, and a 80hz gap between the woofer and the sats.

The problem with Bose, they need to be turned up quite loud to sound their "best", and then because they are low powered- it's easy to fry them.

The best thing about the Bose setup is the nice RF remote control.

Nathan

13. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'm not disagreeing with your opinion of Bose, simply that I personally don't see that a system cannot have both good soundstaging and imaging.

Opinions are like arseholes. We've all got one.

14. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Yeah just some smell worse than others :zonked:

15. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Sheesh, this guy almost makes me want to buy the freakin bose speakers, just to see if I can push him over the edge? Talk about extreme views.Nathan, what happenned? Did Mr Bose murder your kitten and burn your house down or something?

PS: I never said I was going to buy them , I gave my experience of them and asked for alternatives as I struggle to demo any decent gear round here!

Read the damn post!

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I gave technical details (why) Bose cannot compare against the Kef Eggs.

They are not extreme views- they are fact. The freq. gap is there, and so is the poor volume handling.

I gave you -and any other readers here- info about them. Perhaps you've really bought them and you've come here to gloat about owning Bose?

Go on, buy the £4500 Bose setup to annoy me.

Oh dear, I've got a better system!
    :devil:

And you put a post up about Bose? What do you expect??

Buy them Kef Eggs, or the Energy Take 5.1, or budget sats/subwoofer.

17. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    I have not bought anything yet! (not soundwise anyway)

I really like the look of the JM lab Sib & Cub. A little pricey but seem pretty well received?

Also the long thin B&W satalites and sub(sorry can't remember the model number)

Also want to listen to kef eggs, they seem pretty reasonable at £630 including the new more powerful 250watt sub.

Any ideas on Northwest dealers for the above sets?

And do you think they will all run ok with a sony 1080 receiver? (£350)

18. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wishing to become another 'Bose' assasin but I've just replaced mine with Gallos from uncle eric which perhaps gives me more or maybe less right to comment. The Gallos are currently 24 hours old and in their burn in period. I can't describe to you the improvement in quality. My advice for what it's worth (which some would say is none too much), listen to what people are telling you as they're only trying to help. Hindsight on my part I'd have bought the Gallos in ones and twos until I had the set! If I'd have known then what my ears have heard recently, there would be more Gallos micros in my room and more money in the bank.
    Problem is it sounds good but it doesn't reproduce reality which is what will irritated the hell out of me.
    The frequency gap mentioned is not apparent until you play exactly the same thing elsewhere. Try using a frequency sweep cd in the shop if they'll let you and just see how much isn't there (examples available here http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves/ ). The sub does produce directional audio signals which is extremely annoying once you've heard it 'cos it gets worse over time.
    You think some of these comments are extreme, try a search on Google for the comments on the american forums, these are mild in comparison. Bose litigation was mentioned somewhere I read.

At the end of the day it's your hard earned cash to do with as you wish.

19. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    All the factual responses about the crap quality of the bose stuff is exactly what i was looking for and am grateful for the systems suggested.

Just feel certain responses were almost offensive, when all I wanted was some advice on alternatives. To start telling me I am using the wrong terms and to tell me to waste my money just seems out of spirit for a public forum.

** Would just like to say that on the whole I have found these forums friendly and helpful, maybe that is why I thought some of the response to this thread was badly written and un called for**

20. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NB,

Bose bashing is an occupational hazard round these parts.
    You have come to the right forum though - just you've caught the tail end of a load of people complaining about not demoing things anymore and going on other people recommendations.:blush:

The JMLab package is pretty good as far as I'm aware. The B&Ws you are thinking of are the VM1s and are also pretty well received around here.

As for hi-fi stores in the north west, I think I remember Nic Rhodes, who lives in Cumbria, saying he went to Nottingham to demo things - sorry.

21. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You ain't heard nothing yet then!! In two or three weeks you'll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat everytime you use the things.:smashin:

NewBeetle it sound's like you've got a got a decent shortlist to demo there with the Kef Eggs, B&W VM1s, JMLab Sib and Cubs, Energys and AE Aego 5.1s, I have no idea what the sub is like in some of those packages, but the JMLab one is supposed to be quite good.
    The Acoustic Energy Aego are also damn impressive sounding with movies and include amplification and decoding for £550.

22. NewBeetle

NewBeetle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,630
    Well I got chance to listen to the Kef 2005 package today and I have to say I wasn't really impressed:confused:

I was hoping for really great things from them after reading so much good stuff on here and elsewhere. The only way i can describe the sound was kinda wimpy. Didn't seem to have any real drive to it. They were being driven by a yamaha receiver 630RDS I think.

Maybe I am expecting to much? I wonder if this compromise of small sat speakers that everyone keeps telling me about is true.
    But there is no way i can go for regular standmounts or floorstanders, the room just won't take em.

My worry is this, that £800 for Kef 2005 (or around £650 online) didn't really live up to the price. I mean I was considering a Sony 1080 receiver and a set of Sony 835 (top range pascals) both of these together only add up to just over £700..........decisions, desicions..........:confused: :confused: :confused:

23. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you I was impressed by the sound of the Bose system at my local dealers - until I learned the price!

I use Bose speakers professionally for AV presentations and I know they are good.

They are a bit like B&O - you are paying for the "lifestyle" element of them.

And that explains a recent HiFi mag review which says (roughly) that there are cheaper and better systems around, but he would like to keep the Bose...

I ended up with a Sony sytem at a quarter of the price (same size coffe cup speakers) and I'm very pleased with it.

Incidentally, I previewed a five plus sub woofer system - not the Bose two plus one speaker system which I don't rate at all...

24. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can recommend the B&W VM1 speakers :)

25. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Bose is not crap quality.

For 4500 grand it may not be good value for money but it is not rubbish as some people say.

The AM15 costs 1000 pounds and if you cannot fit large speakers in your living room then its a good solution. I have the AM15 and think it is a very nice speaker system.

If I had a dedicated viewing room then I would probably get large speakers, large sub-woofers and all that

But my cinema room is my living room, so the AM15 is my solution

Their are competitors and everyone has their own taste. The KEF eggs and Galllos. I have listened to both and prefer the AM15 for their open sound and non-boxy sound, plus the reflecting technology you get

Even the Bose 201 and Bose 301 are very good speakers. There is actually a cinema in the Lake District that has a set of the 301 speakers installed and it sounds great

26. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed.

The Bose is a 'lifestyle' solution to a space or appearance problem.

Other systems perform better for less money, but it's down to personal choice.

The 5.1 system I listened to was pretty impressive to the ears, even if it wouldn't stand up to lab tests.

It was the price that killed it for me which is why I went for the Sony, which wis almost as stylish and very unobtrusive in the room.

But I have a couple of other systems for "listening to" rather than watching DVDs, which is what the Bose is good at.