1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just killed mySVS

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by corrado kid, Sep 21, 2004.

1. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes thats right just killed my 25-31 pc plus. Was watching empire strikes back and went to answer the door, came back and the sub is making a horrible scraping noise. not sure what happened as i wasnt there but volume was lower than my usual reference and it hasnt over heated as it had only been on a short space of time. Maybe some stupidly loud effect from the film?

Bloody gutted.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    <---makes note to lower volume when watching Empire Strikes Back

Get in touch with SVS, maybe they have a suggestion, might mean a new driver needs to be sent out to you.

3. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah have emailed them, but ive not had a problem with it at all so far and I have driven it pretty hard at times, but its never bottomed out before? From my in car experience its not usually that easy to blow a big woofer like these are?

4. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    since im the only one with experience of breaking an svs on here then the thing that tom v told me (though by now i suspect hes already replied) was that if the led on the back has gone out the amp fuse has gone else its the driver :E

driver changing is relatively easy - i wrote a thread on it about a year called dissecting an svs its just a very painful long time to go waiting for the new driver to be shipped over :/ gl with it anyway

5. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yeah he has replied, it is definately the driver as I have removed it to check. Hoping that its not going to take to long to resolve.

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That must have been some volume to be able break the driver mate, what level were you listening to it at?

7. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Are you using a BFD with a high positive gain at some frequency range? The Empire Strikes Back doesn't sound like a title to blow your sub on, at any rate.

8. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi guys no bfd used at the moment, ive played various dvd's with this sub at a higher volume than I when I was watching star wars with no sign of any bottoming out ect. It has behaved perfectly so far? I was not in the room at the time so im not sure what happened really but after discussing this with tom at SVS here is a small quote from my email:

Some of the newer lucas stuff(like The Phantom Menace) was
    actually recorded at 0dBFS instead of the standard -4dBFS.

Its just a bit of a pain, I dont get the point of excessive recordings like this?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,825
    There's no issue with recordings which are not offset imho, just turn the volume down by -4db. Your ears are the best guide, not the volume setting on the amp itself:)

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

The problem with a DVD recorded at 0dBFS is it will have 4dB louder peaks.( because your system will be calibrated to the nominal -4dBFS). In other words...with a "normal" action oriented DVD...you can have bass peaks around 121dB. (with all speakers set to small). With a DVD recorded at 0dBFS...you can have bass peaks to 125dB. (both of these examples assume you are listening at reference levels as indicated by your master volume control.) And if you have the bass calibrated a few dB hot like most folks enjoy...well now we are in the upper 120s..:) Ouch.

Tom V.
    SVS

11. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    A B4+ would obviously solve all this, ..or two. :D

12. corrado kid

corrado kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Smurfin, then the remaining channels are going to be 4db down right? I like to just be able to stick on a film and watch it, not be constantly worrying about if im going to have to turn it down when the LFE kicks in from one film to the next. What is the point of a " standard " if no one sticks to it?

Ettepet, maybe! One thing is for sure though the level of customer care I have recieved from these guys has been second to none which is really amazing in this day and age. When its time to upgrade I will be purchasing and SVS without a doubt!