Just joined XL - any way of reducing the bill?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by TaoFan, Jan 31, 2009.

1. TaoFan

TaoFan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all!

I was on VM's L broadband service and I was paying £25 a month for 10mbit/s (I think that's right). But I went to upgrade it to XL.

I called the number to upgrade it, but they gave me a single price of £37 per month which was not open to negotiation, even though I'd been with them for years, since NTL. Or maybe that's the reason...?

They say I would get a better deal with a phone line and the broadband for a few pounds less, but it would cost £27 to activate it, meaning more initially to pay. So I went with the £37 by itself.

The thing is, I share the connection, and the payment, with two others, one who is not exactly happy with the situation as he is in between jobs and is not sure he can afford it, whilst the other one is away at the moment but is a hefty downloader.

What are my options, please?

2. shadowdogg

shadowdogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If they are not negotiating have you tried ringing up retentions? In your mind convince yourself your going to go to i.e. Sky since you've only had trouble with your service i.e. slow connection, unfairly high price compared to new customers.

When they think they could be loosing you - they will try hard to make you stay since you have been with them for a while (thats where staying with them for a while actually is quite handy.)

Also as of today they are reducing the prices on higher tiers

So make sure you have information like that ready

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009