Just joined the world of PC Gaming!

bouncer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I think the first game I played on a PC was minesweeper.

Found myself playing carmageddon on my first machine, then things like Rollercoaster Tycoon. :rotfl: Played Black & White and picked up a copy of Hitman 2 (Which I couldnt play) Finally I ended up with Minecraft (Which ran horribly)

Now I've finally got a PC that can actually play something I joined Steam.
However I don't exactly have much to play.

Feel free to welcome me!
Steam Community :: ID :: Bouncer

Any game suggestions?

What sort of games do you like?

There's a fair few free games on steam, especially if you fancy playing some MMO's. Teams Fortress 2 has to be one you get at least for a free game.

Once your on steam the sales will be great for you, you can pick up loads of games cheaply.

And don't forget you can join the AVForums group on steam

Last 2/3 years I've really gotten into FPS. Annoyingly I've fallen out of love for RPGs. A genre I WANT to get get back into.

Last edited:
If you're into FPS you probably want to pick up Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 (if your PC can run them)

Both have 50% off on Origin at the moment

Origin

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - £12.49

Battlefield 3 - £19.99

I played BF3 on the Xbox and I think I played it to death.

My Graphics card HD 4550 and the "upgrade" HD 5450 Should play Crysis 2 on medium. (Friends i7 machine has the same card and came with a copy he said it ran well.)

martyn3000 said:
If you're into FPS you probably want to pick up Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 (if your PC can run them)

Both have 50% off on Origin at the moment

Origin

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - £12.49

Battlefield 3 - £19.99

Crysis was £6 last week on gamestop for the max edition. Redeemed through origin
Yeah tf2 is good, also trackmania can be a laugh and is free

"upgrade" HD 5450 Should play Crysis 2 on medium. (Friends i7 machine has the same card and came with a copy he said it ran well.)
Not a gaming graffics card mate so the game will probably look worse that a console depending on rez and what your hoping for...:)

I'm well aware sadly.

However doing its job well for now.

I do want to upgrade but I'm stuck with amazon and £40 right now. Which just about gets me the same card only from the 6000 series instead.

It should be ok with slightly older games or games based on the Source engine, of which there are loads.

Half Life 2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 etc.

TF2 will run and there are few guys on here who play Mann vs Machine a fair bit.

It's F2P, so give it go!

I'm well aware sadly.

However doing its job well for now.

I do want to upgrade but I'm stuck with amazon and £40 right now. Which just about gets me the same card only from the 6000 series instead.
Only mentioned it as you were being reccomended crysis 2 and bf3 which take a bit of gpu power,and you may have thought after a waste of money,.
As you say though your well aware so enjoy your pc..:)

Last 2/3 years I've really gotten into FPS. Annoyingly I've fallen out of love for RPGs. A genre I WANT to get get back into.

If you want to fall back in love with RPGs you have to give Skyrim a go!

It should be ok with slightly older games or games based on the Source engine, of which there are loads.

Half Life 2, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 etc.

bouncer - if you're interested in Portal 2 I have a 75% off 'voucher' that I can gift to you via Steam. Let me know if you want it & I'll get it sent over :smashin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's hard to beat TF2 and that is even disregarding the fact it is F2P :p

jellofund. Ive seen alot of those going around! Dont they expire soon?

And 75% off makes it what £3.75?

Welcome matey, and believe me, you'll get back into them by the time we're finished with you ;)

First and foremost tip, start saving for the Steam sales and make sure you have unlimited downloads and keep an eye on the bargains thread for deals every day and indie bundle deals now and then :smashin:

A list of all free game's on Steam:
Free Steam games list - Steam Users' Forums

A couple of recommendations (all free, full and of course legal):
Gotham City Imposters - Gotham City Impostors Free to Play on Steam

Tribes: Ascend - Tribes: Ascend on Steam

GTA/GTA2 and Wild Metal Rockstar classics for free:
Rockstar Classics - Free Downloads

Stealth Bastard (fun little indie game I play):
Stealth Bastard

Alien Swarm:
Alien Swarm on Steam

Classic point and click - Beneath a Steel Sky:
Beneath a Steel Sky for download $0.00 - GOG.com

Spelunky:
Spelunky World

Helpful tool (though not always accurate) to help you know roughly what your system can handle, just search for the game or use the dropdown menu:
Can You RUN It | Can I run that game | Game system requirements

Let us know your full system specs mate, always a good starting point so we can advise you of some good game's that your system will handle well :)

tris

jellofund. Ive seen alot of those going around! Dont they expire soon?

And 75% off makes it what £3.75?

I think they were given to everyone who either had it already or had one of the source games, or something like that so theres lots floating about, no idea on the expiry.

Yeah 3.75

My specs are as follows.

AMD Phenom x4 9650 2.3Ghz (Hoping to overclock a little)
ATI Radeon HD 4550 (512MB) "Upgrading" to a HD 5450 1GB
8GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (333Mhz)

Not the best specs, but better than the 2.6Ghgz Pentium 4 I was using!

If anyone can find me a better graphics card for around £40 on amazon please let me know! (I've £40 credit I can't use if anyones interested in a swap of goods for a better GPU.)

You might want to spend more than £40 on a graphics card. For that kind of money, you'd may as well stick to console gaming.

I do plan to. Anything better would do just now! Around £40. But I can go higher.

Nice card, But out of my budget! I'd have to find someone who's very nice enough to accept £40 worth of goods from Amazon +£30 cash TOPS. Which is pushing my budget after picking up that machine.

That is a pretty good price for that card, a decent ,say, GTX460 1GB would cost that.

If your wanting to get into pc gaming, you seem to have the rest of the good component's, it'll be well worth not rushing it and saving for a card around £100-130.
It'll be well worth it and it would last you a while :smashin:

If you have amazon vouchers and a bit of cash you may have a lucky find. I would save some more though and get somthing you wont be replacing too soon.

tris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom