Just installed windows xp can anyone help me with thse problems please

tony kop77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought windows xp today it cost me £150 and the shop updated all my drivers and installed it for me all included in the price.
The problem i am haveing is when i try to shut down or restart my pc i get a message saying DEVLDR programe is not responding i dont know what this problem is.

My other problem is i have a creative video blaster web cam but windows xp is recognising it as Duel mode usb camera plus and i dont think the cam is working because when i press the button i should see what the cam is seeing on screen but nothing comes up.
Thank you for your help

Someone told me that the reason it is doing this is beacuse i have not downloaded the latest drivers for my web cam is this true and which drivers do i need to download

A search on goolde for DEVLDR found this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q296838 - refers to Win2000, but I think it is relevant to WinXP - to quote:
This behavior can occur because the Creative Labs driver Devldr is not compatible with Windows 2000
To resolve this behavior, remove the Devldr driver and then disable the Devldr service.

This will give you lots of links to other info.

As you mention a Creative Labs webcam, then I think this is the problem. Have a look on the Creative Labs support site for DEVLDR - I bet there are solutions and updated drivers there.

Thank you for your help i try out the site though i did take my computer to a shop for him to install windows xp and update all the drivers though it is only the webcam he has not updated the drivers for.
I paid £120 for windows xp and £30 for him to install it for me and update the drivers is this expensive or does it sound about right. I got a booklet with xp but it is only 12 pages and on the front i notice it says for distribution only with a new pc has he given me the proper version of xp i paid for a full version not an update version.

This is XP Home we're referring to?
It's a full version, but it's an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version, which (as it says on the tin) should be supplied with a new PC, or at the very least with an upgrade, such as memory, motherboard, processor etc. You can buy the OEM version for about £85 on line, but you'd also need to buy some hardware at the same time. Non OEM version is around £150 or so.

It shouldn't take you long to sort out the drivers.

Thank you for the quick reply. I do have xp home yes and it is only the webcam i am haveing problems with because the shop installed updated drivers for everything else just did not do one for my webcam.
XP is recognising my cam as dual mode usb plus and when i click on the cam it should show an image of what it is seeing on screen but i just get a black screen web cam i have is creative video blaster web cam plus.

PS i have nero 5.0 but he told me it does not work with xp and i would need to download 5.5 i also have a mircosoft optical mouse not sure if he installed the driver for it but it is working ok so i wont bother loading the driver for the mouse

I brought my version of windows xp yesterday for £120 plus another £30 for instalation from independent retailer in town.
I got home and on the xp handbook i notice it says for distribution only with new pc have i been ripped off.

I looked in computer shopper and a few other magazines they charged between £150-190 for full version so when i rung the shop and he told me he sells full version of xp for £120 i thought i had a good deal but not so sure now :(

As I said above, you have been sold the OEM version, and there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT - it's exactly the same software. Computer shops such as where you bought from would stock that version quite legitimately.
As I also said above, it should really be supplied either with a new PC, or at least when the PC is being upgraded. There might be some restrictions on moving XP to another computer, but that's about it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom