1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just installed A7N8X and Barton 2500 computer says unkown

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by tony kop77, Apr 21, 2003.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Just installed A7N8X motherboard with Barton 2500+ and 512 Winbond single chip PC 2700 333. I went into settings and the computer does not recognise the cpu and says its 1.09 mhz. Can anyone tell me if this is right and what i should do please.

Also when windows xp loads up it says insert disk or something then just skips that and runs windows xp.

2. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an A7N8X mobo for a pokey PC project that I will get around to one day soon. But coincidentally I upgraded my workhorse PC with an Asus A7V8X mobo over the weekend and I had all sorts of CPU shenanigans going on. This may help you if there is any similarity in the BIOS setup.

Firstly, I kept getting kicked back into BIOS safe mode when I set the multiplier to 18 and the side bus frequency to 133. This should have been OK for the 2400+ 266 Thoroughbred I had put in as the maths said 18 x 133 = 2394 right? Wrong! The actual CPU speed is 2.0 gHz, not 2.4 duh, therefore the multiplier should have been set to 15. Once set everything was hunky dory. I think the multiplier is factory set and you need to mess around with the front side bus for the correct frequency and overclocking duties, but here's the thing. I've got my multiplier set at 15, the FSB at 146 which gets the CPU to 2.2 gHz which equates to a 2700+ chip, but the BIOS still shows the CPU as 2400+. Benchmarking software and the proof of my own eyes shows I am running at a speedy 2.2 gHz and no BIOS upsets so far.

In your case you need to find out what the stock multiplier setting is for the Barton core and stick to it. Then set the FSB so that when multiplied by the multiplier value (?) you get the 'real' CPU speed which is probably somewhere in the region of 2.1 gHz or slightly less. I believe the latest BIOS updates may address the incorrect identification of the CPU speed as this was a problem with my A7V8X BIOS. Phew!

You probably know all this anyway but a good starting point for isolating your problem is an updated BIOS which is a breeze to do if you use the 'LiveUpdate' software on the CD.

3. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    My brother fixed it :). I was panacking and thought i would ask while he was downstairs. My xpu is registered at 1.83 mhz but says cpu type unkown is that ok.

4. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sweat. I've checked around and the 2500+ Barton core with 333FSB does indeed run at 1.83mHz. So no worries there. Only thing that would niggle with me would be the fact that the BIOS doesn't recognise the CPU. The A7N8X mobo packaging literally screams Athlon/Duron/XP compatibility, seems odd that it reports the CPU as unknown.

On the Asus website the latest BIOS for the A7V8X specifically addresses CPU types, could be something similar relates to the nForce board. Check it out.

5. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way. By my reckoning your multiplier must be 11, I'd stick with it and increase the FSB should you decide to go on any overclocking adventures.

6. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, and I promise I won't say any more after this, I believe that the nForce 2 chipset precedes all XP CPU's with the Barton core. That would suggest that an updated BIOS would be necessary in order for the BIOS to recognise the new core and hence the reason why it reports your CPU as unknown. Just a thought.

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Thank you for your help :). I guess not recognising the type of cpu wont hurt the performance so i will elave it as it is.
    If a game ever said minimum spec 2.5 mhz would my pc be ok. reason i ask is because the speed of the cpu is 1.8 mhz but i think it is supposed to be equivalant to an intel 2.5 i think.

8. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally correct. In fact, the figure is quite conservative, when the CPU is coupled with an nForce 2 mobo you are likely to find benchmarking at least on a par with a 2.5gHz P4 but probably higher.

9. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    :) wahoo so my pc should not need upgrading for about 6 months :laugh: seriously should be ok for about 17 months.
    Thank you for your help. The reason why i dont want to updtae the bios is because brotehr recomends not to and i dont have any problems apart from not knowing what type cpu i have. I bet if i update the bios i will start getting errors thats what normally happens. Best to keep things as they are if its not broke dont fix it.
    thank you for your help i appreicate it. My brotehr downloaded a performance test and it scored quite well especially the graphics. I have a radeon 9500 pro

10. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i Had That before the bios saying unkown on a xp2200 updated the bios sorted the cpu out now runs like a dream but if you not up to doing the bios update don't do it as if you do it wrong good bye mb

happy playing

boogie man;)

11. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    HI all, am Tonies brother chatting.
    Changing Bios is not something that should be done unless there is a problem.
    I do not recommend overclocking which is the main cause of unstability. Having assembled the computer last night I can not see any problems, apart from the web cam not being detedted properly, "need to re load the drivers" To date the system has not been unstable, the computer is not slow, using the bench test at Passmark.com it gives excellent results when comparred to much faster computers , the "big" problem is that it does not say Barton. I can live with that ( I dont know if my brother can ). To all who do change their bios, remember it only takes one mistake and sods law says it will happen here. I have an old , old old AMD 850MHz Slot A which has served me well for may a year , now that my brother has the new build I get his "OLD " 1.4GHz solution I await to see the difference.
    I wonder what people expect to see when they upgrade to faster proccessors, I do not play games so I cannot comment on that but I suspect its computer turn on time and would recommend fitting a fast scsi hard drive. that is a noticable difference.

12. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102