1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just installed a Lumagen Vision (original)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by imichael, Feb 11, 2005.

1. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the jump in PQ is awesome :thumbsup:

Sky is now watchable and doesn't make you squint owing to frame rate issues and blocking.

DVD, at last I'm seeing the 3D quality, crisp edges, no chroma, a huge reduction in solarisation, details in dark scenes etc. It's that good that you can see real detail in fabrics etc.

All this with 5 mins of tweaking - 600p into an SD panel, set at 50Hz, a touch of resizing and brightness/contrast adjustment on DVE and sit down to watch telly.

I'm assuming that for NTSC sources I just bump the rate back up to 59.94Hz and then run DVE again to check settings.

Can anyone else suggest settings they use on SD panels other than 600p so I can continue to tune the pricture.

The best £350 spent to date - Cheers Scott.

Ian

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I would try running it at 576p 50 for Pal and try 720p60 for ntsc, once set up you will not need to adjust it again as you can assign pal to memA and ntsc to memB or vice versa.

I would also set all you screen settings to default and adjust where needed on the Lumagen, you will be able to get a better image this way.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
  4. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Results sound very interesting Ian :smashin: , what DVD source are you using ?? I never imagined there would be that much diffrence when only using a SD panel ??

Gordon. Do you find different gains in improvement when installing one of these ?? or is it such a big improvement everytime ??

5. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I was using a Panny e55 onto a Delphi plasma. I've just installed the Sony DV7700 I bought as well, looking good so far.

so thats a 4 year old plasma, 5 year old player and a 3-4 year old lumagen - I'm starting to spot a pattern in my buying!

I've dropped the contrast and brightness down to 50 on the screen and use the Lumagen to control the settings now.

The jump in performance is probably down to the plasma age and functionality. the increase in DVd performance was suprise, the main advantage being the reduction in solarisation and the dark detail.

Sky was a huge leap forwards, I used to feel like my eyes were twitching if I watched one of the poorer channels, but so far I haven't noticed any where near as much flicker/frame drop effect.