Just how loud is the XTZ Cinema 1x12?

JonasCarlsson

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm about to having my Jamo 10":ers replaced and subs that made it on the short-list is said XTZ sub, the Klipsch R-115 and the BK offerings (though I've come to appreciate the cool running class D stages of late).

Now the Klipsch may not have the smoothest of responsecurves, but it's capable of putting out 122dBs. According to a recent shoot-out the XTZ clocks in 2dBs below that. Then yesterday I watched a flick on Youtube w. the founder of XTZ (sorry I keep forgetting his name) claiming that the 3x12 maxes out at 120dB, it having three times the capacity of the 1x12. So what gives, me wonders.

I managed to locate a CEA2010 measurement chart of the 1x12 and the 3x12 where the 1x12 seems to hit 120dB or near that from 40Hz and up, and with an over-all average of 117dB. The 3x12 reaches 129 in this region at an average of 126.5dB. Those 9dB difference between them seems about right hypothetically.

122dB at what frequency?
That's just the question, isn't it: at what frequency and level of distortion.

Reinvestigating this shoot-out I got the indication their chosen point of measuring was at 31Hz. Couldn't say what's their reasoning behind this particular frequency, though. Perhaps that it's not near the point of lower roll-off - and as it happens: the Klipsch got the short straw, it sporting a dip in this region and was thus short changed by a few dBs below this point and to a higher degree at around 70Hz.

Where did you see the CEA measurements?

Data-bass has tested the 3x12 and got around 122dB:

Data-Bass

Others might be able to make recommendations on best buy for a specific budget.

All I will say is that if you are open to DIY, your possibilities expand ;)

Others might be able to make recommendations on best buy for a specific budget.

All I will say is that if you are open to DIY, your possibilities expand ;)
I suppose I could consider DIY, say in the region of £600-800. Ideally I would have like a pair for a more even distribution.

Then I'm up to my neck trying to make both Boston VR965 operate as indended so I may not find the time to get cracking on that DIY project for a bit.

There's a USC15 in the classifieds I'd highly recommend, goes to 10Hz easy :)
Much appreciated, mate! Then delivery to Sweden may be a pretty penny on top of that, I'm affraid. But I may be in luck there.

IIRC Klipsch specs their subs 1/8th space, 1 meter. Which is corner loaded(in room) at a 1 meter mic distance. If you are looking at a sub on data-bass, those are measured outside at 2m. You'll need to add 18dB or so to the data-bass numbers to get 1/8th space.

Tom V.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom