1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

just how loud is acceptable buzzing from pd5200?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ziglar, Nov 3, 2004.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    read the postings about the buzzing from the power supply to the Hitachi 42pd5200 but decided to get one from NexNix anyway coz I thought it might not be that bad.

Switched it on - seemed OK. Put a video signal thru it and the noise level seemed to increase. It also changes frequency (and possibly amplitude) depending on the video signal - maybe to do with bright scenes??

What is deemed to be an acceptable noise level? and how can I measure this?

It's a lovely piece of kit so I don't really want to send it back.

Thanks

Stuart Smith

p.s. how do I switch the ALIS thingy off? Can't find it on the menu.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    ziglar,

You can't switch ALIS off, it's the technology that drives the panel.

As for the buzzing, it does change depending on what's on the screen - you'll probably find it's worse the brighter the picture is.

I had a 42PD3000 which I could hear buzzing from 9ft away even when there was dialog, I eventually got Hitachi to replace it (very long story) and got a 42PD5300 (same panel as the 5200) and it's almost totally silent.

As to how loud is too load, it's very much a personal thing and once you've noticed it, it's hard not to keep noticing it. Used to drive me mad on the 3000 but my wife only heard it occasionally. Prior to getting mine replaced, the installer from my dealer came out and, whilst he agreed he could hear the buzzing, it was no worse than any other one he had installed.

HTH

John

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I've had a 42PD5200 for a few weaks now and never noticed any buzzing at all. I just turned the volume right down to zero and put my ear next to the side of the screen and I could hear a very quiet buzzing. Certainly nothing I would ever notice if it had never been suggested in the first place.

4. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The buzzing is loud enough to notice even with dialog coming from the speakers (sounds like John had the same level of buzzing).

I have also noticed some lip sync problems when using the attached speakers on both SKY & DVD - any ideas?

Stuart

5. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Johndon
    I to have had a real problem with my 42PD3000 "Buzzing" etc. you say that Hitachi replaced your set, I have been trying to get H., to replace mine but they have said in numerous letters that "we have had no adverse comments on this TV". :mad: This has been going on since Dec 03, any help would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Paul

6. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have a 42PD5200 and cant hear any buzzing even if sound is really low i still cant even hear any buzzing at all :confused:

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Paul,

As well as the buzzing, I also had the 'grey cloud' effect that has been discussed on the forums as well.

Below is the text of the letter I sent to Hitachi - my replacement 42PD5300 suffers from neither of the problems of the 3000 as, as it has a charcoal surround, actually goes better in the room that the 3000 did:

Customer Services Manager
    Hitachi Europe Ltd
    Lower Cookham Road
    Maidenhead
    Berkshire
    SL6 8YA

Dear Sir,

Plasma Television 42PD3000E
    Serial Number: ****

I write with reference to the above plasma television product and the problems I have experienced since purchase.

The panel was purchased from **** in June 2003 and was delivered and installed by them in August 2003.

Since that time, I have experienced two problems neither of which has yet been solved to my satisfaction:

1. Unacceptably loud ‘buzzing’ from the panel.

Almost since day one, the panel has emitted what is, to me, an unacceptable amount of noise from the rear. Having spoken to my retailer, I was informed that this was a known problem with early batches of the panel and that a replacement for the transformer that caused the problem was available. As a result of this, your service agent, ****, fitted a new transformer. It soon became clear that the noise from the panel was, if anything, even worse with the new transformer.

As a result, my retailer arranged for another visit from the service agent and another new transformer was fitted to the panel on 13th May. Despite this, the noise remains as bad as ever.

Whilst I can accept that transformers will emit a certain amount of noise, the problem I have is that the buzzing is clearly audible from my listening position (around 9-10 feet away from the panel). This is the case when watching a TV broadcast or a DVD and there is a normal level of dialog. In order to mask the noise coming from the panel, the volume levels have to be increased to what is an unacceptably high level for normal viewing. The noise gets worse the longer the panel is switched on to the extent that, if watching late at night with the volume turned down so as not to disturb anyone in the house it becomes impossible to watch anything as the noise is so pervasive.

I have never had a television or, indeed any other electrical product, that has emitted as much transformer noise.

2. A ‘grey cloud’ effect when displaying dark scenes.

This effect is very noticeable when watching very dark scenes (a good example of this is a scene in ‘Finding Nemo’ when a scene shows a completely black screen except, on my panel, there is what can only be described as a ‘grey could’ in the centre of the screen.

I reported this to my retailer who, once again, arranged for **** to have a look at the problem on 13th May while fitting the second new transformer. The problem was demonstrated to the engineer who, at the time, suggested that ‘the screen might need re-gassing’. I have to say that I was somewhat taken aback by this statement as I knew it to be completely untrue.

The engineer called me a couple of days later and he informed me that, having contacted Hitachi, that this was a ‘feature’ of the screen and was due to some additional processing to ensure that the panel was capable of producing deep blacks except, of course, in may case, the colour is anything but black. He also told me that the shape of the ‘cloud’ would change according to temperature, in actual fact, the shape is constant.

I have spent a long time investigating the problems and would make the following observations:

• I’ve looked at all of your literature and the manual for the panel and can find no mention of either of these problems – if, as seems to be the case, they are inherent to the panel then surely it’s something that consumers should be made aware of prior to purchasing the panel. I find it especially troubling, although not especially surprising given the damage it would do to sales that, given that Hitachi appear to be perfectly aware of both these problems, no mention of either is published.

• I still remain to be convinced that the problems are inherent to the panel as I am aware (via internet newsgroups) of a number of 42PD3000 owners who have a completely silent screen and who don’t suffer from the ‘grey cloud’ problem. There are also a number of users reporting exactly the same problems as me. If required I would be more than willing to provide links to web sites with the discussions.

• I am also aware, via discussion on the internet newsgroups, of at least two owners who have had the same problems as me and who have had complete refunds from their retailers.

At the time I was in the market for a plasma, I looked at a number of manufacturers screens and had settled on a Pioneer 433 MXE until I say the 42PD3000 at my retailers premises which, at the time, had excellent picture quality and, even to this day, I’m finding it hard to find another panel that I like as much. As a long standing customer having had two previous Hitachi televisions both of which were excellent I decided to buy the Hitachi panel over the Pioneer. However, the two problems (in particular the noise problem) have completely overshadowed all the good things about the screen.

Whilst previously I would have undoubtedly recommended Hitachi products without hesitation I no longer find myself in that position following my experiences with my current television.

I should point out that I have absolutely no problem with the retailer, ****, and, in particular the manager, ****, who has been more than helpful in this matter.

In summary, I find it totally unacceptable that a product that I paid £3500 for is incapable of producing a uniform colour across the screen and also makes a noise so bad it can be heard above dialog.

Had I been aware of these problems prior to the purchase of the screen, I would certainly not have purchased and based on my current experience would certainly not purchase another Hitachi plasma.

I would appreciate your earliest response. I’ve sent a copy of this letter to my retailer for reference.

Hope this helps....

John