1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just how important is an amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dAvE6, May 27, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had to learn about this hobby pretty fast.

I always percieved the amplifier as something that had to be there, but had litttle overall bearing on the final quality of sound production. I thought SPEAKERS, and and that's about it. Obviously, the quality of the dvd player has a small influence, but it's come to my attention recently that it's actually rather important.

I've been a little underwhelmed by the sound i'v ebeen getting from my B&W 603 speakers. ''Their supposed to be warm, full sounding speakers''. Anyway, most of that's been said in my other thread, so i won't repeat it.

So besides volume(power), just how influential is the amp ranging from the measly £300 to the £2000 mark?

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can of worms mate. It's very important. Which is best is another matter..........

Go to a good store and get them to demo a few, you can then decide if you can hear any difference between a £400 Sony and a £2000 Denon.

S

3. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Anyone who can't hear the difference between a £300 amp and a £2000 Denon amp has serious hearing problems. (providing they both have a decent set of speakers plugged into them.)

Whether they think the difference is worth £1600 is a different matter and is totally up to the consumer.

Basically you have to decide on how much budget would satisfy your ears, cos in the end, you are the listener.

And in terms of which is more important, speakers or amplification, they are just as important as each other. A £2000 amp with a £200 speaker system wont sound good, and neither would a £6000 THX speaker setup powered by a £200 amp.

Lower budget amps will often quote seemingly high power ratings, like 100W per channel, but often this is at a high level of harmonic distortion, whereas a more expensive model will be rated at the same power value but at a lower distortion level, and thus the amp will sound less strained at higher volume levels, and it is often the distortion that makes sounds at high SPL difficult to bear, if a loud sound is distortion free, the human ear can tolerate it alot better.

Basically go for the best amp and speakers you can afford, and try and match them in terms of sonic quality and power handling, and don't pay for features on the amp that you don't need.