• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Just how important is 100hz

McCol

I'm currently going through the painful process of buying a new tv.

narrowed it down to a choice of 3 or 4, all have 1080p and are either 37 or 42inch.

I've sussed out all the 1080p and 24p malarky but really want to know just how vital 100hz is on either LCD or Plasma.

Will be using for mainly sd/sky hd and a little bit of gaming/pc use.

audiphile76

Since i am almost on the same boat, i have figured out few things aswell when on the border of 37" and 40"
- 32" and 40" specs are always better than 37". For Sony and Samsung, even the 37" panels have CR that are inferior and also the panel is inferior to even the 32" similar models(32V4500 better than 37V4500, 40A556 better than 37A556 etc...)
- LCDs can be good even without 100Hz, example is 40V4000. Have read great reviews from owners here in avforums and they have no clouding or judder.

So this makes me believe that even without 100Hz, PQ can be good.

McCol

I was on verge of buying the panny plasma(42pz80) but have slight concerns about using it as a pc screen. Problem i'm having is finding a similar spec lcd(100hz) in the same price group(currently £710 with 3year warranty at argos).

This is my reason for asking about the importance of 100hz, i've been in a couple of shops and been given conflicting advice.

audiphile76

I own a 42PX80 plasma myself and i can easily see the difference when the 100Hz is not on, but what i have understood is that LCDs dont flicker as much.

Also i have read on numerous accounts here for : 40X3000, 40F86 etc having 100Hz features, that the owners keep the 100Hz feature off most of the times as it induces motion that looks more artificial and cheap home video kind of motions.

One piece of advise still is that: Dont listen to opinions stated at the shop. Be prepared with things like knowing the models, size that you want and also the specs. I have read a lot of hilarious dialogues coming out of salesmen :). Only thing that you should be doing in a shop is ask the salesmen to put models next to each other that you want to compare and also be able to change the settings to the best configuration possible and play SD and HD etc. No advises from them :smashin: and you will be fine.

YellowSphere

I feel sorry for the poor salesmen out there who know what they're talking about...

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
I own a 42PX80 plasma myself and i can easily see the difference when the 100Hz is not on, but what i have understood is that LCDs dont flicker as much.

Also i have read on numerous accounts here for : 40X3000, 40F86 etc having 100Hz features, that the owners keep the 100Hz feature off most of the times as it induces motion that looks more artificial and cheap home video kind of motions.

One piece of advise still is that: Dont listen to opinions stated at the shop. Be prepared with things like knowing the models, size that you want and also the specs. I have read a lot of hilarious dialogues coming out of salesmen :). Only thing that you should be doing in a shop is ask the salesmen to put models next to each other that you want to compare and also be able to change the settings to the best configuration possible and play SD and HD etc. No advises from them :smashin: and you will be fine.

The reason people turn it off is because on several makes/models it doesn't work properly. It does however work superbly on Panasonics LCD or Plasma panels.

Fully agree with what you say about shops and salesmen.

Last edited:

audiphile76

The reason people turn it off is because on several makes/models it doesn't work properly. It does however work superbly on Panasonics LCD or Plasma panels.

Thanks mate. Since i dont own 100Hz LCD, i wasnt aware that there are still issues with 100Hz working properly. Good to know that Panasonic has it got right with their LCDs. I think the latest W4500 and X4500 are newer generation of 100Hz panels, maybe its worthwhile to get some comments on their performance.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom