Just how good is this going to be (gainward 7800gs+)?

Sword

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been thinking about this for AGES and finally decided to take the plunge as I saw a buy-it-now for 200 from a reliable seller in as-new condition, box, leads etc. 7950 chip, 512 RAM and 24 max pixelpipes, here I come!

Anyway, my system is a P4 3.2 with 2GB Ram, SCSI drives and currently have a geforce ti 4800SE. Its a bit disappointing on the hi-res stuff.

So, will I notice a huge leap? I figure that bangs for the buck, this was a much better bet than switching to pci-e and getting a new processor etc etc. Maybe in a year or two.

Will the above setup out-perform xbox? Truth be known, I don't really have a clue about graphics cards, lol.

ta,
Sword

I've just installed a GAINWARD BLISS 7800GS+ AGP 512MB GS SFX into my Athlon 3200 with 2GB ram on an MSI motherboard.

I had a little trouble at first as I did not realise that this beast of a card requires so much power to run it. I installed a new Jeantech Storm 700W power pack which solved my problem.

I now run Company of Heroes, Dark Crusade, Mark of Chaos at 1280x1024 with all the graphic settings on and at there highest levels.

For me this has been a great buy if a little troublesome to install.

thanks dellboy - that's VERY useful.

I'm anxious about the power thing too - but if it gives me trouble then its only a few quid to get a better psu - may even go for a silent jobby too!

If only I hadn't missed today's Special Delivery then this would be more than mere conjecture!

Here's to lush graphics!

The other thing I should mention is that make sure all your motherboard drivers are upto date and remove all remnance of your existing graphics card drivers. Then install the new card and Nvidia Forceware drivers.

If you buy a PSU don't just look at the total Watt as you can get 500+ watt ones for next to nothing but they are terrible.

If you buy a PSU don't just look at the total Watt as you can get 500+ watt ones for next to nothing but they are terrible.

Yes I agree with that comment. It's the voltage output of the connectors that is important, especially for these new high powered graphics cards.

I would imagine going from your 4800ti to a 7800 you will notice a massive increase. That 4800 is a very old card, so you should be very pleased with the 7800.

awwww, its all a bit disappointing really. I expected silky smooth, motion picture like experiences...

got a good quiet 450W psu from maplins for 40 squids and hooked the card up.

Things like NFS are good as you can see the leaves on the trees - but I still wouldn't call it smooth in terms of the texture of the road as it passes very near by the front view.

And FS X is still as naff as ever really - even on high as opposed to ultra-high graphics. Jerky and lots of glitches in display with missing cockpits every now and then etc.

Yea, got the latest drivers from nvidia etc.

Guess this is why people buy a console - cos its just less bother unless your hoby or idea of fun is actually getting something to work instead of just enjoying it working. That's not a criticism but meant seariously. I used to be like that but just don't have the time now. Want some quick fun.

There are just SOOOOO many graphics settings in each game, not just resolution and graphic sliders - but things I've never even heard of, let alone know what setting they should be ...

Card ---> ebay
psu ----> maplin (if they'll have it)
xbox360 -----> me :)

Cheers all,
Sword

If you are having issues like that then something else is wrong somewhere. That card should give you excellent performance.

Are you sure you've connected the secondary power supply to the card? Obvious question, but a lot of people do forget that. According to Gainward it requires a minimum of 400w power supply. I would say your 450w PSU is borderline, depending on what else you have on your PC.

yea, power connected. Don't have much else... SCSI plus IDE disks, CDrom and sound card - all on an atx mobo with a p4 3.2 and 2 gig ram. No heavy usb power drainers or anything like that.

okay, what game(s) would you recommend to really show me the potential of this card - I'm looking for liquid like graphic movements if poss, and something I can maybe even play with the lad (he's 8).

ta,
Sword

what game are u playing? I have a 7800gt and no matter how nice a card it may be if i play counter strike the trees still look like bits of card. Trying a top end game will help show off the card in all its glory. Try something like FEAR or Quake 4 or maybe theres a new FPS out now?

Hi. Just wondering, what resolution are you playing the games in? Also, what version of Need For Speed are you playing? As stated, you need to try it out with a decent graphics game - FEAR & Quake 4 are both good suggestions. Oblivion may also be worth a try.

I can't see how you can be thinking the graphics are bad - I run CoD2 on 1440x900 with medium detail settings on a 6600gt and things seem good to me. Just the frame rate is a little on the low side, that's why I'm searching for a new card. Maybe I should steer clear from the 7800gs then?

Jez

Are there any utilities that you can download to check your power supply ratings ?

Have to think that the PSU is the immediate weak link. 450w isn't particularly great on a 7800, and most of Maplins PSU's aren't that amazing tbh.

I'm running a 650w Coolermaster and while I probably have more HDD's than you and am running a XT1950XTX, I'm using around 600w of that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom